What's new

Hard Day's Night-Official Specs (1 Viewer)

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Well, if it ain't in color, then no $ale.

Strike, my Home Theater brethren!! Let's show Luca$, $pielberg, $t3v3 J@ck$0n, J4m3$ C@m3r0n, Fr4nc!$ F0rd C0p011a, T3%^#&4@#$ 6$$ @#$%#$ 7$%*^&%$@#$^@^24 ##% ##&%, and especially 2#$^@$^&#$&3 that we mean bu$ine$$!!!!!!!!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Um, yeah, I think Matthew was making a joke, no?

And, Jeff, how about sharing your source? Are you just taking this from Amazon? If so, I wouldn't count on it necessarily being correct.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
It be a joke. I've been a fan of A Hard Day's Night since I saw it in an art theater 20 years ago, as a cheerful and geeky 11-year old Beatles nut. Last time I checked, it was b&w.
I was just stemming the inevitable flood of "no widescreen, no DTS, no color, no $ale!!!!" posts that sometimes accompany such news.
Maybe a few :) :) :) were in order! :D

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Is there an official press release from Miramax? Not that I doubt the above date, but if the date changes yet again, I won't be surprised.

If AHDN does come out on 9/24, then its very unlikely Anthology will come out this year. Apple is very cautious about overlap, they don't want products to be released too closely together to affect sales of the other.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
My baseline extras info comes from Buena Vista Home Video's retailer site

The info on the AR comes from a VERY credible source. I cannot say more to protect that source

The DTS track was only on the European release, and given the age of the film and fidelity of the elements I'm guessing it wouldn't add that much no matter what

Gary_E

Second Unit

This has always been Apple's philosophy but usually new BEATLE stuff is worth the wait. I think APPLE and the artists were embarrassed by the Magical Mystery Tour DVD and in response, APPLE and MGM gave YELLOW SUBMARINE it's due.

McCartney has a good relationship with MIRAMAX and it wouldn't suprise me if this release sets a new standard as to how these types of films are presented on DVD. That's not suprising, THE BEATLES have always set the trend.

I'd bet this disc will be FAB.
Now please, bring on LET IT BE .

-Gary

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Has anyone here seen the Miramax re-release? Does it have the "I'll Cry Instead" opening? And what of the "new footage" that was advertised in the trailer? Is it re-incorporated or after the movie?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I believe this is the cover that is going out on Region 2 versions of HDN. I hope this will be the cover art. I really hate that other one with just the 4 profiles.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
There are some inaccuracies in that New Times LA article. They stated that Miramax had previously released A HARD DAY'S NIGHT on DVD, with no extras. Well, it was MPI, and there were some minor extras. And unless I'm mistaken, MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR is still in print, but the article says only YELLOW SUBMARINE is available.

Minor quibbles, I know. The rest of the article did have some nice peeks into what will be on the disc, though.

Has anyone here seen the Miramax re-release? Does it have the "I'll Cry Instead" opening? And what of the "new footage" that was advertised in the trailer? Is it re-incorporated or after the movie?
There is no "I'll Cry Instead" prologue in the Miramax issue. The "extra footage" comes after the credits, and consists entirely of the "You Can't Do That" sequence (blown up from a video tape), which can already be seen on THE MAKING OF A HARD DAY'S NIGHT.

Jim Golden

Stunt Coordinator
So what is the difference between the new release and the release from 1997? It is just the supplementals, extra material, and 5.1 soundtrack?

I hate to buy the same disc twice!

Jim

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
If you just want the movie and don't really care for extras, you might be happy with the old MPI version. The new disc will definitely have a new transfer, but both discs will be from the Paul Rutan restoration. The music on the MPI disc is from the stereo LP, while the Miramax theatrical release was remastered from studio tapes (I'm assuming the DVD will have the same soundtrack).

The new transfer is also 1.66:1 widescreen and anamorphically enhanced, so I'd say that for those of us with widescreen TV's or anamorphic-squeeze 4:3 screens, the improved picture quality will be a no-brainer slam dunk!:emoji_thumbsup:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Update........
It's getting close to 09/24 now!
This sure sounds like a winner for Beatles' fans!
Here's the complete features list from Amazon (don't know how much, if any, of this is new since the last post on July 29)...........
Aspect Ratio(s):
Widescreen anamorphic - 1.66:1
Discographic Information:
DVD Encoding: Region 1
Available Audio Tracks: English
Edition Details:
• Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only)
• Black & White, Closed-captioned
• Theatrical trailer(s)
• "Things They Said Today": an original documentary with more than 30 never-before-seen minutes
• 3 commentary tracks: production, cast, and post production
• Short: "The Running, Jumping & Standing Still Film"
• More than 20 minutes of exclusive behind-the-scenes footage
• A Hard Day's Night scrapbook
• A Hard Day's Night music retrospective
• More than 20 interviews with cast, crew, and friends
• Widescreen anamorphic format
• Number of discs: 2
--------------------------------------------
Can someone tell me if purchasing THIS DISC would be redundant, in light of buying the CE of AHDN? I'm just guessing .... but it seems likely that much of the material on that "Making Of" disc just might be included on the extra disc of the upcoming Collector's Edition. Anybody know for sure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks