What's new

Hard Boiled Anamorphic now available all region (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I couldn't find the old thread with the search function so I apologize in advance for starting a new one on this.
The Mei Ah remastered HARD BOILED DVD is now available.
I haven't personally seen it yet as mine is in the mail.
While it probably won't be perfect, it is really the only one in print that is available for the US.
Generally the anamorphic transfers done by Mei Ah are acceptable even though not up to hollywood blockbuster standards. The sound is dolby or dts, no original mono. As long as the mix is subtle I don't mind. Subtitles are usually tolerable if you are familiar with HK imports.

I have seen this listed at HKFLIX.com but I am sure it is also available at pokerindustries.com. There are the HKbased etailers like dddhouse.com and hivizone.com also.

If you can wait a day to order, you can check out my site tomorrow for a special deal I worked out with hkflix for the visitors to my site. It will be $9.95 + s&h. For obvious reasons, I didn't put a direct link to the promotion. If the above violates forum rules at all, I will remove it. I just wanted to give HTF forum members the oppurtunity to the DVD for a good price.

I would have loved to get a review up before the promotion but I don't have a way to get advanced DVD's.

Matt

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I finally got that promotion up. I will have a review of this one as soon as I get it which should be the beginning of next week. The promotion should run through all of July.

Matt

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Matthew,
I tried linking through your site and when I add it to my cart, it is coming up as $16.95.

Is there something I have to do to get the $9.95 deal???

Doug

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Thanks, it works now. I put my order in.
I love my Criterion version but it looks like crap on my HDTV.

Doug

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Doug -
I have been checking a few forums and it looks like this may be a pretty decent release. I can't wait to get mine so I can do a full review with a bunch of screen shots.

Matt

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Doug -
I always thought the Criterion was a little too dark. The screenshots look good. I can't wait to get it!

Matt

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Is this the unrated uncut version, or the R-Rated one? What are the special features on it and how does the audio sound?

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
It's a HK disc, so I kinda doubt it's the US R-rated cut. The 5.1 remixes don't do much for the gunfire, but the music sounds really good. You get dd 5.1 options in Cantonese and Mandarin, plus dts 5.1 Canto and the original mono Canto track in dd 2.0. Extra features consist of a couple of pages of production notes.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
The only extra feature is the trailer. It has a listed running time of 126 minutes which is the same as the Criterion and Winstar versions.

Matt

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Just ordered mine via loveandbullets. Had it sent express mail so hope to have it in 1-3 days. Does anyone have a pic of the coverart, back or front?

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen the cover art yet but it might be similar to the first release. which is below. I think I stand corrected on the DVD having a trailer. It might not.
From what I have found from various forums, there IS an original mono soundtrack. When I review the movie that will be the one I will be listening to. If I get time I'll check out the others. The translation is slightly different from other versions. I don't speak Cantonese so I couldn't say which is more accurate.

Matt

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
Let us know how it stacks up when you get hold of your copy. I've got the criterion collection version and I'd like to know if it's worth upgrading for the transfer alone. :)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I got this in the mail today I hope to watch it tonight! The cover is pretty much the above picture. The DVD case itself is in a cardboard cover that has the same artwork.

Matt

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
I own the Criterion and Winstar release of this film, I wouldn't mind adding an anamorphic copy of the movie to that list, but I can't stand bad subtitles. So, what's the word on the English subs? Are they acceptable or are they those bad translations that we usually get from imports?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks