What's new

** Happy WIFE ** or ** Sacrafice sound Quality ??? *** (1 Viewer)

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
I may be forced ( aesthetics / wife ) to place my rear surrounds at unequal distances and height.
My front speakers are 8 feet apart and 9.5 feet from my listening position (sofa is up against the rear wall) To make my wife happy I am considering placing my surrounds in both rear wall corners. The problem is that LR Surround will be 7’ away and 8 ‘up and the RR Surround will be 11’8” away and 9” up on the wall. I am aware that I can set distance delay into my Denon 3803 to compensate but am I sacrificing too much? I invested in better equipment for the best possible experience and don’t want to blow it with bad placement.
My wife can be persuaded (got the sub), I just want I pick my battles.

What should I do ????????

Denon 3803 / MA Silver S8’s / MA LCR / Infinity TS / Velodyne HGS-15

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Well if you can point them properly the time and distance adjustment should keep the sound pretty equal. The fact that the further one is farther away and farther up will actually help this. You can mount them at a similar angle and they may sound the same after you adjust the volume. However what they are mounted on may affect them more. If one is a bookshelf and the other not, that could cause issues.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
If you calibrate the sound it won't effect the sound by much, let her have this battle:)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
and then every day move the sofa 1/4" closer to the further away speaker. it takes time but when she finally notices, just say, well this is where you wanted everything honey ;)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I have the very same problem and this is what I worked out. It might be a help? When I view, I put one surround up on the buffet table and the other on the corner table. This is my calibration set-up. After I am done if I am a good boy? I put surrounds back on the floor hidden away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks