What's new

Happy Days season 2 (1 Viewer)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I totally agree with you Carlos...but at least with these, the notions of getting more have happened. The others will be coming I am very sure...but if I were a Star Trek fan or a Cheers head, I would be very happy these days.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I would love to have Get Smart and Odd Couple on dvd too. Both on my "top ten favorite sitcoms of all time" list,
but Happy Days is slighty more closer to my heart since the Fonz was a childhood hero of my.
I still have my official Fonz leather jacket. :)

DaveK

Second Unit

For some reason, I can't sit through the first two seasons of the show. When I hear "Rock Around the Clock", I turn the channel.

Any episode from the third season on is watchable. I think the shows were a lot more fun.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
This is a wild guess Dave but I'm going to go out on a limb here. Were you under 14 at the time 3rd season was on? Because anyone who was over that age, including Garry Marshall, acknowledges the show went downhill after 2nd season. Marshall himself said he would rather dumb it down and last a long time than make a really good show that gets cancelled. Now, I'll buy Happy Days, I won't buy "The Fonzie Show".

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
But it is a TV show after all not Shakespeare. :)
So, I partly agree with DaveK, but I do like all of the "original cast" seasons.

John McM

Second Unit

season 3 wasn't so bad (it still "felt" 50's). But I think the first two seasons have more a sense of nostalgia and warmth to it that vanished when it became "The Richie And Fonzie Show".

They went live in season 3, but while Fonzie was becoming a bigger and bigger character, it still felt period and the writing was still good.

Am I the only person who noticed a dramatic weight loss from Anson Williams, especially evident when you look at season 1 and then season 4? I wonder if ABC execs MADE him do it.

John McM

Second Unit

yes, I do notice that too. I've seen a lot of younger fans on various message boards about Happy Days who really detest the first two seasons (and hell, detest Ron Howard as a whole because he's not Henry Winkler) and LOVE the "Fonzie Show" episodes.

It's almost pathetic seeing them getting into Richie vs. Fonzie wars, and the "Fonzie minions" will bash anyone who preferred Richie. I wonder if they realize that both guys they are fighting over are in their 50's now and that Ron Howard's bald and Henry Winkler's greyed quite a bit, LOL.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Ewww. I find them totally obnoxious from season 4 on. Not to mention totally unbelievable. The Fonz snaps his fingers and stools collapse or doors break down. Only the first 3 seasons were somewhat realistic.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The first two seasons were far superior. I can stand the next couple of years, but after that, it got worse and worse. And worse. Even the last few years of "The Beverly Hillbillies" were better.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy

I agree, infact it would not be Happy Days without either one of them! Richie and Fonz learned from each other.

It was a great show period, no matter who's your favorite character. Every single tv show ever made has good and bad episodes or seasons.

It's like the whole stupid Mary-Ann or Ginger thing.
Heck, I'll take both of them! :D

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Here's another "chime-in" for the 1st 2-3 seasons of this series. I really liked the 50's "feel" of the early seasons. I have Season 1's DVD's and waiting for that 2nd Season release :)

DaveK

Second Unit
Randy...exactly :)

My fingers are so tired from typing, I can't give Fonzie's "thumbs up"...lol

John McM

Second Unit

I think that's the difference. People who love the first 2 seasons really like the whole 50's nostalgia feel it had. By the latter Howard seasons, it felt very much a 1970's series. So if you liked that it was more contemporary, then 3-7 is logical to prefer to 1 and 2 (3 still had the nostalgia to an extent).

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

I agree with this. Since I grew up in the 60s, I felt the first couple of seasons really tried to capture the feel of the 50s. The stories were funny, but alot more believable than what the show would become later on. Let's forget the fact that Pinky Tuscadero's attire would've gotten her arrested back in the 50s, the later seasons didn't even try to have the characters look like they were living in the late 50s/early 60s. The guys had long hair, the girls had 70s hairstyles, and they all wore clothing that didn't resemble any 50s/60s styles I've ever seen. It seems the producers just lost any interest in detail of the show once they moved to a live studio audience.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm only a fan of the early seasons, when it looked and felt more like the 1950s; that was supposed to be the whole point of the show. When it became FONZIE'S COMEDY REVUE, I was outta there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks