What's new

Happy Birthday to Me cover art...Columbia Strikes Again (1 Viewer)

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
I don't understand why they had to use a photo of a chick who isn't even in the movie when there are a few good looking women who actually star in the movie. Obviously none of the execs at CTHV have ever actually seen this movie.

However, I knew there was no way they would use the original poster art for this movie. Jesus, that poster freaked me out when I was a kid in 1981. I mean, the poor bastard is about a millisecond away from having a metal rod shoved up into his brain! Oh my God! Cool! Now that's a horror movie!

While the imagery itself isn't as shocking as it was back then, it would be considered shocking today as mainstream home video cover art. Can you imagine them selling that disc at Wal Mart with that cover art? Posters with frightening images were the norm at one point, but not anymore. It would just stand out too much.

I'm just happy we're getting this in the anamorphic widescreen from a major studio since this isn't a film a lot of people seem to be familiar with. Even though I didn't expect the original poster art, they should have done a much better job with the photo shop. Columbia has done a lot of decent photo shop covers. They should have given this a memorable cover, since the advertising is what many of us remember this movie for.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I believe the "cover or movie" crowd should put their money were their mouth is and burn ALL their DVD covers.
Just use masking tape with felt markers, for the spine.

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the support. Keep the e-mails coming!

[email protected]

They've been butchering cover art for far too long (Glory: Special Edition, Murder By Death, among others) and need to finally be called on it.

Berk

Stunt Coordinator
I envy the “graphic designer” who was able to pass off this, likely shelved, creation as having anything to do with the movie Happy Birthday to Me.

To me it’s further proof that most of the industry people making cover art decisions have never even seen the movie.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Restored poster art and music score:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/558397-happy-birthday-me-re-release-10-13-a.html

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
We're not getting any extras with this but at least we're a step closer to something resembling a special edition. It just seems a little pointless for them to re-release essentially the same DVD that already exists. Perhaps the studio isn't aware of the huge fan interest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks