What's new

Happy birthday Back to the Future; will its Blu-ray transfer ever get corrected? (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
zoetmb said:
Not true. I saw this film in the its original 70mm release in NYC and I believe it did have the "To Be Continued..." card. I remember thinking, "how did they know this was going to be a success?"

Since that's the only time I saw the film theatrically, I really think I'm remembering this accurately. I don't believe I owned this on VHS and I definitely didn't own this on DVD, so I'm pretty sure I'm not confused. I do own it on BD, but I doubt I watched the end credits.
How can this still be going on. Your memory is not accurate, which is why you have to say "I really think" - no, you're not remembering it accurately because it wasn't there - EVER on any of the original release prints. There's no discussion to be had here. :)

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
I can say the same about you: that you're not remembering it correctly. Neither of us can prove our version of events unless one of us can come up with frames from an old 70mm print, which probably don't exist.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
We don't have to prove anything - the director and the writer of the film have stated it over and over again. If you want to believe in this fantasy, by all means do so. I live here on planet earth, saw the film many times when it came out, owned a 35mm print, and even if I didn't trust my own memory the filmmakers - you know, the guys who made the film - have stated it unequivocally. I believe the argument stops right there. :)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I can't believe this discussion continues! I feel I should just shut up and let it play out but...

Without being able to get ones hands on an original print of the film you have to ask yourself one question - did they originally intend this to be a trilogy, or at least a two parter. If yes then you could argue TBC was part of the original credits, if no while it doesn't disprove Yes completely, it's more credible that the card was not included.

BTTF came out in 1985
BTTF2 came out in 1989 - four years later
BTTF3 came out in 1990 - mere months after 2 - they were filmed back to back

If they originally intended a series of films, four years is a long wait to make that happen.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
AnthonyClarke said:
Faulty transfers are annoying but I'd place this in the 'mildly annoying' category UNLIKE the abominable transfer of The Big Country which was transferred to Blu ray at the wrong aspect ratio from start to finish, stretching the characters sidewise as if they'd all been dining at MacDonalds for five years before making the movie. This was a simple technical error but it appears the owner has no interest whatsoever in fixing it. I've mentioned this before, and will keep doing so because I believe this was a fine movie and we should be able to see it in its correct ratio.
I TOTALLY agree on this one! I was SHOCKED at how distorted THE BIG COUNTRY is on Blu-ray, but a similar fate befell HURRY SUNDOWN also. What really kills me about the distortion in HURRY SUNDOWN as it was on Olive Films' DVD release, and then a year and a half later they release it on Blu-ray with no correction whatsoever! Glad I could fix both of these titles in HD, but couldn't the studios?

Here are captures from THE BIG COUNTRY Blu-ray (all downscaled greatly) followed by my "corrected" version. I probably should've put these in a new thread, but I wanted to quote AnthonyClarke and reply to his posting since it is what brought the issue to my attention.
BIGCOUNTRY01A.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY01B.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY06A.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY06B.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY07A.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY07B.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY08A.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY08B.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY02A.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY02B.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY03A.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY03B.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY04A.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY04B.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY05A.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY05B.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY09A.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY09B.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY10A.jpeg

BIGCOUNTRY10B.jpeg

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I"d say your posting of 'The Big Country' pics is worth 10,000 at least!
Thanks for reinforcing my complaint so brilliantly!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks