What's new

Happy 233rd Birthday Beethoven (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It's as good a reason to celebrate as one can find.
beethoven.jpg

I can only imagine what the audience thought when they heard the premier performance of the Eroica symphony.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
My Beethoven SACD collection is rather short at present: the Szell 3rd, the Walter 6th, and the Klieber 5th and 7th. Here's to the promised 1964 Herbey and the Berlin Boys SACD set. Who's on Pentatone? Amazon only lists a 1st and 2nd with Marriner.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Back in the early 1970s, I bought the Beethoven Bicentennial Collection, a massive LP set that at that time included every known and extant work of Beethoven. We still use some of them for listening and for teaching purposes in our home. This collection must have been quite an effort at the time.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Here is an image of what part of the set looks like:
htf_imgcache_37194.jpeg

Beethoven Bicentennial Collection Complete LP vinyl

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Back when we had a commercial classical music channel here in Houston (KLEF), they used to play all the symphonies on Beethoven's birthday as a celebration known as the Beethova-thon. Each symphony would be a version by a different conductor. I remember listening back in the late 70's and hearing Carlos Kleiber's 5th for the first time. It was a great way to be exposed to new and varied versions of the immortal nine symphonies.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:biggrin:

I don't know how I've missed this thread over the years...

Personally, I love an active ten year old thread with just 15 replies!

But at least twice today, someone has asked me the date and I've responded, "December 16th. Beethoven's birthday."

Why did I do that? Because I was an avid reader of the Peanuts comic strip when I was young. And the date made quite an impression on me.

gallery_286742_34_42139.jpg

gallery_286742_34_18580.gif

gallery_286742_34_62854.gif

gallery_286742_34_74626.jpg

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
AAAUGHHH!

Nicht diese Töne!
I don't know if one in a hundred Peanuts readers got this joke.

Beethoven loved bad puns. His violin concerto is dedicated:
Concerto par Clemenza pour Clement
which translates as "concerto with clemency for clement", Clement being his violin virtuoso friend to whom the concerto is dedicated. It not only is a pun in Italian but also in English.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
To celebrate, on Sunday night I watched the DVD of Karajan conducting the BPO in symphonies 4 & 5. Tonight I watched the Blu-rays of Thielemann conducting the VPO in 1, 2, 7 & 8. Can't ever have too much Beethoven.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks