Hanna Barbera fans rejoice! Jonny Quest, Flintstones, Jetsons coming!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bob Black, Jan 13, 2004.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I'm probably the only person on Earth to notice silly little nuances of packaging like
    the following .... but I thought I'd put it out on the HTF table anyway.....

I can see that there HAVE been some subtle changes made to the Jonny Quest DVD
    front cover design.

The older version (left), that's been up on websites for months, has slightly different
    color patterns, and the lettering is more "flat" looking. With the newer version (on right)
    displaying a kind of "3-D" effect on the lettering (raised letters, I would surmise), and
    a "streaking light" effect for the background colors. Cool looking (either
    one really -- except for the fact it's showing drawings from the 1987 show). .........

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

3. Jim*F

Jim*F Stunt Coordinator

Since Jonny Quest and The Jetsons are released the same day, I hope Best Buy offer the same discount they had the week The Flintstones and Scooby Doo came out (buy both and save an extra $25). The price was $53 per set (way too expensive), but with the discount each set was only $41 (below Amazon's price).

Hopefully Best Buy's Sunday circular will contain some good news.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Here is a write-up Gord had in March about those samplers.

5. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Yes, David L. ... the TV-Shows site is (natch!) where my memory was refreshed regarding what shows had Sampler discs. [​IMG]

I couldn't remember most of them from memory.

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Never heard of, or can't remember Top Cat or Wacky Races.

7. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

I'm definitely getting the Top Cat one when it comes out, but while I love the show, shouldn't there be a rule that when a cartoon show borrows from a regular show like Sgt. Bilko that Sgt. Bilko should be out first?

Paul

8. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Off-Topic Interjection:

Does anyone regularly visit this website? .......

http://www.tv-series-on-dvd.com/

I'd never noticed its existing, until today. Haven't looked at it in any depth as yet.

How does it shape up next to TVShowsOnDVD.com? (Or should I dare even ask such a leading question 'round these parts?? [​IMG] [​IMG])

9. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

That "Microchip Chump" episode of the Jetsons is actually the video title of the episode "Uniblab," which is included in the season 1 set.

10. david_slater

david_slater Stunt Coordinator

dont ask... [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Some "JONNY QUEST SEASON ONE" DVD
    Screenshots (courtesy www.classicjonnyquest.com).

Colors are excellent on the DVDs, as
    demonstrated here. ........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I've never seen that before. It seems to be a site run from Skudeneshavn, Norway that talks about R1 discs and has been around a short time (no more than 6 months or so). I suspect that David VP's post will be it's biggest traffic-booster so far. [​IMG]

But it doesn't even have the DVDs from the original Star Trek listed, and sticks X-Files under "Mystery" right below WiseGuy (I can see this a bit, but everyone is thinking "Sci-Fi"). When you click on "Comedies" the first thing it defaults to is "Allo! Allo!", the BBC series whose sales in R1 have been very underwhelming, so it belies the idea that this site is listing "Bestsellers" or "Topsellers". It's also not current, as the Everybody Loves Raymond art there is the old design; it's changed twice (though few people saw the middle version). All their "order it" links go to CDUniverse, by-the-way.

Having said all of that, it DOES have potential, if they put a lot of work into it. I'm not going to get too paranoid about it, though. :p)

How about we get back on-topic now? [​IMG]

13. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Thanks David L.

I wasn't sure if you had ever seen that "other" TV DVD site or not. Obviously not.

From what I saw, David & Gord's site have nothing to worry about (content-wise) -- at least right now. [​IMG]

14. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Cover art for some "WB Sampler" discs .......

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Guess this means a "Real Adventures" boxed set is coming soon. Otherwise, what's the "Sampler" for?

15. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

This info (courtesy www.classicjonnyquest.com) doesn't thrill me in the slightest.

Let the shouting for "uncut, unedited" product begin -- loudly please! ........

There are two parts of dialogue missing (edited) from one of the "Jonny Quest Season One" episodes on the WB DVD set. The audio is muted for the phrases "ignorant savages" and "heathen monkeys" during "Pursuit of the Po-Ho."

Odd, and totally needless/stupid, to do that for a commercial release, but not for broadcast (or VHS release!) during the past 40 years.

The muting occurs in both the English and Spanish audio tracks. The closed captions, however, are intact.

WHY on Earth would they create these edits for two harmless quotes?? It's not even close to being profane in any manner (except on the far edges of the periphery). Incredibly stupid edits, IMO!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

If Hollywood wants to know why people are turning to pirates, they need to look no further than their politically correct machinery at work. While I love this Jonny Quest DVD set, I will now be looking to buy a pirated DVD made from the old VHS set that contains "Pursuit of the Po-Ho." Hollywood may try and censor classic shows, but they won't stop me from finding the originals. Piracy is wrong? Well so is censorship. I can't wait until Disney's "Der Fuehrer's Face" comes out later this month to see just how badly they censor that Academy Award winning classic.

17. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I hear ya Carlos!

The thing that irks me most re. this silly "muting" of four words in the JQ program, is the fact it's completely unwarranted from any standpoint (IMO).

"Ignorant Savages" is supposed to somehow taint a child's mind??? [​IMG] As if the original show didn't contain these mild phrases in the first place!! Kids were subjected to the unedited versions for decades! Now, all of a sudden, the show has to be censored??!! Pffftttt!

"Ignorant Savages", in this case, only applies to the moron(s) who decided to cut this harmless dialogue out of this JQ episode.

For cryin' out loud, the donkey said stuff ten times as offensive than that to Shrek...didn't he?

18. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

Reviews are already out on the Disney Treasures "On The Front Lines" set containing DFF (due out next week). It is uncut.

19. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

Based on what I read on a review somewhere (how's that for specific?), they apparently just used the latest TV masters that were created several years ago. While those film-to-tape transfers are excellent, it means we don't get the benefits of a true restoration and are stuck with edits like these, the end credits of one episode being used for all of them, the wrong title cards on the Jetsons, etc.

Shame.

20. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Oh for Pete's sake.
    [​IMG]