What's new

Hanna Barbera fans rejoice! Jonny Quest, Flintstones, Jetsons coming! (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'll post the same thing I did over at Toonzone in regards to these sets:

"The more interest the public shows in ALL of these H-B Collections, the more Warner Bros. will likely continue to issue them - including Top Cat, Yogi, Huckleberry, Quickdraw, Magilla, Pixie & Dixie, Wacky Races, Snagglepuss, etc...

The sales will determine what future sets will be produced.

I think this has become a blatantly obvious and general standard we've come to acknowledge through WB's home video marketing.

If a well-recognized series like 'The Jetsons' does not produce high enough sales in the first few months, do you really think that WB will take any chances releasing future sets like 'Wally Gator' or 'Auggie Doggie' which are obviously much more limited in their commercial and financial offerings?

No.

Why take that monetary risk when there's no previous bearing with which to relate.

That's why I urge EVERYONE to support ALL of these Hanna Barbera Collections that Warner Bros. is producing.

Personally, Jonny Quest was never a strong favorite of mine as a child, but for the sake of future collections and my high hopes for series like Yogie Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Top Cat, Pixie & Dixie, etc. and even The Smurfs / Snorks, I will be supporting ALL of these releases REGARDLESS!!"

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Regarding some additional "incorrect" cover art on Jonny Quest video products.......

The Cartoon Network series of "Classic JQ" VHS videos produced several years ago had the wrong character drawings on them too. Jonny looks very different from this in the 1964 original animation. (Although the image of Jonny's head inside the "Q" is the '64 type drawing of him.)

Why can't they put the correct drawings on the covers of these products? Surely, there are some original 1964 images and promotional posters, ads, etc., that could be used that would match the video material contained on the VHS tapes/DVDs. A most curious situation indeed.

I'd prefer a DVD cover with just the correct Jonny's Head Inside The "Q" titles and nothing else, rather than the 1980s incorrect drawings. (Although I'd hate to miss out on the proudful Warner boast of the "dazzling translucent collectible packaging" that has been touted for the May 11th DVD boxed set. :)) ........

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Addendum.......

Now I'm noticing that the "disc" art appears (from what little we can see of Race Bannon here) to be from the original drawings (circa 1964). At least to me Race's image seems to be different on the cover vs. the actual disc. Well, we'll see in May I guess. Not a huge deal either way, I suppose. ........

http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=10578

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Anybody know where our resident TV-on-DVD expert extraordinaire, David Lambert, has been recently? He hasn't authored an HTF post in almost a month. :eek:

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Very busy with work related things, I believe he described it all in 1 of the late January weekly roundups over in the coupons and bargons thread.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Dave has been insanely busy with his day job. He's been working a lot of OT as well as weekends. Guess you're stuck with me :P

Gord

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Oh man...poor us, na just kidding.

Actually Gord I wanted to give you props, you've gone on a real reviewing binge lately over at TVShowsOnDVD.com and because I really enjoy that part of the site. Getting this back on topic, do you think you'll review either the Flintstones or Scooby sets when they come out?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I think the last day I missed posing a review was Feb 5th!! I've been lucky that a whole bunch of single disc stuff came out and I was able to review those as I was making my way through the season stuff like Voyager. Today will be Stargate Season 6, and I think tomorrow will be "Chased by Dinosaurs" (still have to finish up a bit on that one). Part of the review binge was because I ditched a girl I was seeing so I have a little bit more time now :D

I really hope to review Flintstones and Scooby-Doo. My accountant has been bugging me about Flintstones since I started the site (apparently she's a huge fan). I'm so excited about all the Warner titles that are coming, and more are being announced every day!

Gord

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'm all over this JONNY QUEST DVD collection. May/June is going to be expensive. If these sell to Warner's satisfaction, I'd love to see a similar DVD set, collecting all 20 episodes of Hanna-Barbera's weird, wild live-action/animated series, THE NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN (1968). Anyone here agree?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Peter,

I didn't think anyone else would even remember "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn"!!!! I'd love to see that released! It was a really interesting show, but I seriously doubt there's much talk around WB or anywhere else about releasing that series just yet. There are simply too many other HB cartoon series that are more popular and well known to have any hope that HUCK FINN will be released anytime soon.

Take care,

Gary "I used to watch the Banana Splits just for the great cartoons they'd show like HUCK FINN, THE MUSKETEERS, THE ARABIAN KNIGHTS, etc." OS

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
i like to see this released on DVD Season or complete box sets...

Dungeons & Dragons .......... this one most
ThunderCats ................. this one 2ed most
The Pirates of Dark Water ... this one 3rd most .. so on.
X-MEN
Fantastic Four 1967
Thundarr The Barbarian
Shazzan

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Some additional data regarding Jonny Quest DVD
Bonus Features (via www.classicjq.com) .......

"Quest Files: Fun Facts & Trivia" (over episode "Double Danger")
"Adventures in Animation: A Cartoon Called Quest" Featurette on Animators
"Jonny Quest Video Handbook" (bios on heroes, villains and locations)
"P.F. Flyer Sneaker" commercial (original spot)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
While I agree that THIS is a great idea by Warner Home Video, this blurb regarding the episode of Jonny Quest to be included on the WB "Sampler" has me a bit perplexed......

>> Jonny Quest - "Escape To Questworld"

That episode is NOT a "Classic JQ" ep. from the 1964-1965 series. It's Episode 2 from the THIRD Quest series, "The Real Adventures Of Jonny Quest" (from August 1996).

I certainly hope WB didn't goof and put some of that awful "Real Adventures" crap onto the "JQ First Season" set. :frowning:

Also ..... In addition to the JQ episode mentioned above *not* being from the DVD set advertised, I see also where the episode "Sampler" for "The Jetsons" is also a mystery.

It shows .....

>> The Jetsons - "Microchip Chump" ....

Which, as far as I can tell, wasn't an episode AT ALL, in any "Jetsons" series, first season OR in the later re-incarnations from the 1980s.

Very odd indeed.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I've got to say that the sampler idea from WB is genius. I might get the Kung-foo sampler and check out the show, it will be real cheap and who knows. Big props to WB, just like Gord said in his editorial comments.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Oh yes. I agree, Casey.

But if WB is (for some silly reason) placing mispresentative samples of shows contained in the full boxed sets, I can envision a large backlash amongst TV-on-DVD fans.

Perhaps Gord (or Mr. Lambert) can get some additional info from WB regarding those eps. I mentioned above -- neither of which belongs in a "Season One Sampler" of either cartoon series.

In addition -- Gord: Did you hear any response from WB regarding the incorrect cover art image we seemingly will be seeing on the Jonny Quest set?

I've talked to one of the very nice fellows who runs the "JQ" website at www.classicjq.com, and he e-mailed me a great-looking "Classic JQ" image from the actual '64-'65 Quest animations which almost matched exactly the "running toward the camera" type pose we see on the announced WB DVD cover. But it's much better, because it's from the original 1964 drawings.

So I *know* that some original '64 images do exist. Hopefully, a switch to that type of "original" art can be applied to the upcoming May 2004 JQ DVD release.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I just now got a terrible sinking feeling in my gut!

Upon looking once again at THIS EPISODE LIST for the *third* Jonny Quest series, "The Real Adventures" .... and, coupled with that WB Sampler blurb, I now have a bad feeling that WB is releasing NOT the Original 1964 version of Jonny Quest, but that it just might be Season 1 (of two seasons) of "The Real Adventures" (a series that can't compare in quality, or in just plain "fun", with the first Classic one-season series).

There's now possibly THREE reasons to think I *may* be correct about this.

1.) Cover art shows the "newer" JQ animations.

2.) WB Sampler blurb saying an episode in S.1 includes "Escape To Questworld", which is from "Real Adv.".

3.) I just noticed that S.1 of "Real Adventures" has exactly 26 episodes too! (Just like the Classic '64 series!) :frowning:

Somebody please tell me I'm wrong here!!
I have NO interest at all in the latter JQ series.

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Follow-up.......

A good sign that I am wrong (above) about "Classic" vs. "Real Adv." is the fact the cover art and JQ "font" shown on the DVD cover are not from the "Real Adv." version. Of course, the image isn't from the first ('64) series either. So, it has to be from the 2nd (1987) variation.

But, the "Real Adventures" Jonny looks much, much different from either the 1964 Jonny or the boy from '87. .....

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
David, I don't have any hunches, accept that blurb I posted from Mark Evanier's website made me think it was the 1960's version, and besides it would seem to be contrary to what they're doing with the other HB sets which are also from around that same general time frame, Scooby Doo and Flintstones. WB has been one of the best studios for TV on DVD and for DVD in general, so I don't see them getting this wrong, and believe me to release something other than the classic series would be doing it wrong.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Well, they've definitely got something wrong, that's for sure (based on the TVShowsOnDVD "Sampler" info that is). Because that episode mentioned is definitely an ep. from the 1996 series. Why on Earth would a '96 ep. be included on a Sampler promoting the Classic '64 show?

Very curious.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I've seen that as well.
But that brings up another oddity re. this release. According to Evanier's site (and some others I've seen), the DVD was going to be called "The Complete Jonny Quest", which *would* be accurate in terms of the original series lasting just the 1 season.

But the WB box art shows "First Season". However, they've done the same thing with "The Jetsons", another show (like Jonny) that lasted just one campaign in its original form.

Everything said about the DVD set on www.classicjq.com indicates it will be the "Classic" version, despite the wrong cover image.

I guess WB decided to spread a little JQ fear with the announcement that "Escape To Questworld" was to be included on the discs.

:) or :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks