What's new

Hanna Barbera fans rejoice! Jonny Quest, Flintstones, Jetsons coming! (1 Viewer)

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
Good stuff, David! I never had the Jonny Quest Laserdiscs, but I DO still have the "Flintstones First 30 Years" LD which featured The Flintstones Flyer, 10 Little Flintstones, The Gravelberry Pie King, and Hop Happy. I always wanted to buy the Flintstones First Season LD set, but never got it! I guess now I'm glad I waited 10 years.

It's amazing how few episodes were actually produced for some H-B series! Most only had 16 or fewer episodes ever created.

Have you ever seen the old Winston cigarette commercial featuring the Flintstones which aired in the 60's? It's the funniest thing to see - Fred and Barney resting on their cave smoking butts and discussing the merits of smoking! For thise who have never seen it, I suggest downloading it because it's hilarious. It would be nice to see such nostalgic extras on the new set, but somehow I doubt if they would consider cigarette advertisements completely PC!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Great news on the Scooby set I'll be picking up that one too. I guess our wallets can be thankful that all 4 sets are not coming out the same day.

David
I have Vol. 3 of the Johnny Quest LD's

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I have seen that! :laugh:

Which reminds me of another old "Winston" commercial, done by the Beverly Hillbillies cast, with Granny changing the slogan a tad bit to ....

"Winston tastes good, like a cigarette had oughta." :laugh: :laugh:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Interesting that on some other sites I see alot of people complaining about the $64.92 MSRP for these four disc sets with extras. Warner obviously used the Looney Toons Golden Collection as a test and model for these. It also had a $64.92 MSRP for 4 discs and the running time was only 411 minutes much shorter than these sets. So what gives:confused:

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Looney Tunes are just that good, I guess, Randy. In all honesty these cartoons, too, are so popular, that I don't think the price will do much damage saleswise. What damage does occur will be offset by how expensive the ones that did sell were! I know I'll be buying most anything released under the "H-B Collection" banner.

I want Wacky Races!!!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

The price point will prevent me from getting both of them on release date unless I find a really good deal, but I want to throw this out for consideration. The first 2 seasons of Friends were priced around the 60 dollar range don't remember the exact pricing, but after season 2 they dropped to the 45 dollar price range they're at now, so perhaps eventually the prices on these sets will fall.

Then again if they spend a lot of money on restoration and stuff they wouldn't have to spend on the Friends sets, the price will stay consistent throughout.

I'm just glad to have all this stuff coming out, 2004 is shaping up to be just as good if not a better year for DVD than 2003. Especially when it concerns Animation.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I want Wacky Races too as well as:

Space Ghost/Dino Boy
The Hercleoids
Banana Splits
Dastardly and Mutley

as well as collections of their 60's shorts

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It would really help me if everyone interested in Wacky Races would vote for it over at TVShowsOnDVD. Thanks.

Any others, too. But WR especially.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Went and downloaded the old Winston commercial...I'd never seen that before! :laugh:

What made me laugh harder though...some pissed off person over in the comments for the Flintstones over at Jumptheshark.com.

Paraphrasing..."Shows you how irresponsible cig makers are...showing kids cartoon characters smoking. Makes me so mad!"

I so wanted to respond with..."uh...hey...it was the 60's you know...smoking was the norm...and it wasn't a kid's cartoon either." Sadly, you can't make comments on comments. ;)

Great old ad. Still glad I quit smoking though! ;)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Your wish is...well its not necessarily my command, but it is something that I will do right now in fact.

I loved that show. Although if I voted for every show I wanted on DVD, I'd go to class even less than I do now...

Edit: just voted for it

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator

Dave, I'm going to vote for the Wacky Races too, as well as Dastardly & Muttley In Their Flying Machines. But the HB Superhero cartoons are what I want the most now that Tom And Jerry, Flintstones and Jonny Quest are in the works. It seems like you really have the early scoop on TV and animation releases. Have you ever heard any whisperings about "Hey There It's Yogi Bear"? That was always my favorite HB feature length animated film.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

More (Good) News For Jonny Quest Fans!! (Via www.classicjq.com) :) :emoji_thumbsup: .....

"From Lance Falk, who worked for Hanna-Barbera on Jonny Quest in the 1980s and 1990s:

Yes, there will be a DVD box set of all 26 classic Jonny Quest episodes. Most probably by the end of '04. News we've all been waiting YEARS to hear.

I and others were interviewed for a small retrospective documentary (which I hear came out great). Other extras MAY include, the Toby Danger short from Freakazoid and a vintage B&W PF Flyers commercial done at the time of the original show. I know they have access to both these things and I suggested that one or both should be Easter Eggs. We'll have to see. I asked about censorship (The infamous "Heathen Monkeys" line, for example) and uncut versions (unlike some awful VHS releases of the past) and, rest assured that they want to put out the truest versions from the archives.

The two producers of the extras are big fans and very nice guys and the quality of the extras will be whatever they are allowed to do, time, money, and available material (The classic show wasn't that well archived). As far as I'm concerned, it is a MAJOR victory to have the episodes on DVD, period. Any extras will be welcome, but that's a minor point to me (even though I'm involved a little!).

In addition to CJQ, first season sets of Flintstones, Scooby-Doo, and Jetsons are on the way and I know that they are working on a Challenge of the Superfriends thing. Also, they are finally talking about a good box set (or sets) of Batman: TAS.

Sorry it isn't the best of info, but you can be assured that those bootleg sets are a waste of money. Within ten months' time, a much better quality, and less expensive official version will be easy to buy."

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Very much looking forward to JQ. I hope they include the original pilot, when it was to be a show about Jack Armstrong...if it still exists.

Also, I suspect the episode title cards were added years later. I wanna see the episodes as originally delivered to the network (with bumps and commercials, but we know that's unlikely).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Was just today watching some Classic JQ eps. taped off "Boomerang" a few years ago. A great cartoon series this was, despite the horrid acting ability of Danny Bravo (the voice of "Hadji"). He's just awful (talent-wise) in nearly every episode. But I love the show anyhoo. :)

I think Tim Matheson did a fine job as the voice of Jonny.

Just now took note of the fact that Jonny Quest musical composer Hoyt Curtin also did the music for "Love, American Style". Hadn't realized.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
if I remember right, isn't that Winston Flinstones commercial on the 2 DVD set of commercials, you can find for under $10 at best buy.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
David thanks for the heads up. I'll probably buy it eventually but May is shaping up to be a busy month for TV on DVD, especially when you add in the fact that I'll be purchasing the Walton's for my mom...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks