What's new

Hanna-Barbera DVDs in 2007 (1 Viewer)

Mark Y

Screenwriter

Thanks, Aaron!

Yes, too bad about Jeff... :frowning:

I am in the process of trying to reassemble the site, but I am pretty much "website illiterate" and it's kind of difficult transferring all the stuff into the format of the server I'm using. But it's coming along. One of the most frustrating things, though, was after Mike gave the site up, I took it over, but even though I had the passwords etc., I never had access to the program he'd been using to upload things, so I couldn't update anything or make any changes or corrections. Anything I wanted to add or revise, I had to send it to Mike and ask him to do it...and Mike did incredible work, and is a very talented artist, but after a while he just didn't have the time and/or energy to do it. Which I can understand. It's called "life."

I'd like to add a links page, and I'll reciprocate by putting your T&J site in there too...thanks! Good job on the T&J site...I watched the Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape and/or Mumbly show when it was originally on, so I have kind of a "guilty pleasure" fondness for it...I note that in the early 1990s when Turner did some kind of a retrospective on Hanna-Barbera that aired on TNT, they had a scene where a bunch of Hanna-Barbera characters appeared together (I think they were playing in an orchestra or something) and T&J were depicted as they appeared in the 1975 series, Jerry had the bow tie and everything. I never expected that!

So does anyone actually have any concrete information regarding what WB *does* have on the Banana Splits? I've read a cryptic comment that the shows will be difficult to piece back together...I also have read they "can't find" the first season opening and/or closing (I have them, I've posted that fact publicly before, and whoever would be working on such a hypothetical project is welcome to the footage...don't you dare release it with the wrong opening and then make excuses saying no one offered it to you)!

Obviously Turner had access to some really nice master material when they did the recreations of the half-hour cutdowns for Cartoon Network in the early 1990s. (They had to re-edit the butchered syndicated opening, and some of the edits didn't match the syndicated version...try comparing them some time. I guess it never occurred to them to include the complete original opening, rather than try to rebutcher it all over again.) Some things weren't quite exactly the same...some of the effects in the song segments were different or absent...I never knew the "Three Musketeers" cartoons ever had an ending title card...

A few Season 2 clips were in that Liz Phair/Material Issue "Tra La La Song" music video...I want to know what the deal is with that. WHY haven't those (Season 2) shows been available since their network runs?

I have most of the Season 2 scripts. Maybe one thing I could do...if I ever have the time...would be to post summaries and add them as kind of an appendix to the episode guide. They are not in the format of the entire shows, though. All the "gag wall" scripts are together, all the "Super Drooper" scripts are together, all the "Great Fleegali" scripts are together, etc. I am assuming they were shot this way, so that's why they are grouped this way. There isn't any information regarding which bits are in which specific episodes...but they are individually numbered, though that could have no relevance to which shows each segment was in.

Well, I'm getting way off the subject...

exliontamer

Agent
Real Name
Mark
I can't fathom why Ruff & Reddy hasn't been released yet. It's HB's flagship cartoon (and a lot of fun to watch).

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Now that Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics has been announced for April in Scooby Doo Season 3, does anyone have what else they will release at the same time? They usually put two new releases out on the same date.

Paul

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Well will it actually be All-Star Laff-A-Lympics or will it be just the Scooby Doo mystery segments? The announcement has me a bit confused.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
It will be just Scooby Doo episodes (16). Here's the list, title & air date, from Wikipedia:

3.1 "Watch Out! The Willawaw!" September 9, 1978
3.2 "A Creepy Tangle in the Bermuda Triangle" September 16, 1978
3.3 "A Scary Night With a Snow Beast Fright" September 23, 1978
3.4 "To Switch a Witch" September 30, 1978
3.5 "The Tar Monster" October 7, 1978
3.6 "A Highland Fling With a Monstrous Thing" October 14, 1978
3.7 "The Creepy Case Of Old Iron Face" October 21, 1978
3.8 "Jeepers, It's the Jaguaro" October 28, 1978
3.9 "Who Was That Cat Creature I Saw You With Last Night?" (a.k.a. "Make A Beeline Away From That Feline") November 4, 1978
3.10 "The Creepy Creature of Vulture's Claws" November 11, 1978
3.11 "The Diabolical Disc Demon" Novemebr 18, 1978
3.12 "Scooby's Chinese Fortune Kooky Caper" November 25, 1978
3.13 "A Menace in Venice" December 2, 1978
3.14 "Don't Go Near the Fortress of Fear" December 9, 1978
3.15 "The Warlock of Wimbledon" December 16, 1978
3.16 "The Beast is Awake in Bottomless Lake" December 23, 1978

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Is it too much to hope that Fantastic Four be released in 2007? I know there are rights issues with Marvel, but can't they work it out before the sequel comes out?

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
Here are the ones skipped:

Episode title Original airdate
2.1 "The Curse of Viking Lake" September 10, 1977
2.2 "Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats"1 September 17, 1977
2.3 "Hang in There, Scooby-Doo" September 25, 1977
2.4 "The Chiller Diller Movie Thriller"1 October 1, 1977
2.5 "The Spooky Case of the Grand Prix Race" October 8, 1977
2.6 "The Ozark Witch Switch" October 15, 1977
2.7 "The Creepy Cruise" 2 October 22, 1977
2.8 "The Creepy Heap from the Deep" 2, 3 October 22, 1977

This makes no sense. Why skip these ones?

Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats" which was a pretty good one, was included on one of the single disc collections a few years back (before the box sets) but it's odd considering the chronicle sets that have released to skip these.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I wanna see The Hair Bear Bunch, and also The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan on DVD. Also Banana Splits.

Also there is a Where Are You Season 3. I am still waiting for that.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

I have no insight into their logic, but a best guess might be that these episodes are skipped because they originally aired on "Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics" during the 1977-1978 season, and WB may be planning a "Laff-A-Lympics" set which would include these episodes. That by itself still doesn't make a lot of sense, because lots of other Scooby Doo segments aired on the show, repeated from earlier seasons. Do they intend to reconstruct the entire shows as originally presented? (Originally, "Laff-A-Lympics" was a two-hour show incorporating the two "Laff-A-Lympics" segments, a Scooby Doo, a Captain Caveman segment--which kicked off the two-hour show--and I think also a Dynomutt.) Since Scooby Doo/Dynomutt has already been released, I wonder how they would approach this. But skipping over those shows would seem to suggest that they have something planned...

Also, I do not know this for certain, but has anyone verified the air dates listed above? I don't recall...I never watched Scooby-Doo (any version) with any regularity anyway...but would they have shown all the "new" Scooby-Doo segments (on Laff-A-Lympics) right at the top of the season like that, only to fill the rest of the season with reruns?

I honestly don't remember.

yamiiguy

Grip
Real Name
Calvin
I am about to start collecting some HB DVD's but am dissapointed to see two of my favourites have yet to be released, Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels and Help!...It's the Hair Bear Bunch! , If those were 2 of the 3 titles in negotiations I would be like
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I think Warner owns those two outright and would probably not be of the mysterious three. As for Captain Caveman, he is popular enough a cult icon to warrant a release before some others.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

"Captain Caveman" I would think, will be coming down the pike. I also note though, that the next "Scooby Doo" set skips a bunch of episodes, and those skipped originally aired as part of "Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics."

"Captain Caveman" also originally aired as a segment on "Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics."

So who knows...maybe we'll be seeing a "Laff-A-Lympics" set some day soon which will include both the "missing" Scooby-Doo segments and "Captain Caveman."

As far as The Hair Bear Bunch...I'd like to see it out too (though for me, "The Banana Splits" is a much higher priority) but we'll see...I never expected Wacky Races/Dastardly/Pitstop to come out before Huck and Yogi...but evidently those shows have a much bigger fan base than I ever realized.

In some ways, I kind of wish the H-B properties were still split up the way they were in the 1970s and early 1980s. Then one entity would have owned The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear, Quick Draw McGraw, Jonny Quest, etc., and another entity would have owned The Banana Splits, the 1960s superhero shows, Wacky Races, etc. and a lot of these other shows wouldn't have to stand in line behind Flintstones, Scooby Doo, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks