What's new

Hanna-Barbera DVDs in 2007 (1 Viewer)

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
I think you are thinking of WHERE ARE YOU? hehe
The Scooby names can be confusing, as far as I know, there has not been a season release at all of WHAT'S NEW? and there is no third season of WHERE ARE YOU.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
The Banana Splits with "Danger Island" is currently running on Boomerang at 5:30 am and sometimes 6:00 am.

I have all the Danger Island segments on tape (just only recently got a DVD recorder)

I am hoping for Hanna Barbara to release Sealab 2020, Jeannie (hope they get the rights resolved), Speed Buggy and some others

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III

It's actually the 16 new episodes of The Scooby-Doo Show, first telecast on ABC Saturday Morning in 1978-79 (alongside the newly-shortened 90-minute Scooby's All-Stars).

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yes I do see that now on wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scooby-...sion_series%29

What about the 8 episodes that were part of Scooby's All-Star Laff-a-Lympics?! (fall of '77)? Do you think that they might just include these in the Where Are you (season3), with the other 16 there?

Maybe they are having licensing issues with Laff-a-lympics, since it had soooo many characters?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Laff-a-lympics was all their characters, so there's probably no licensing problems; I think LAL is one of their "big guns" that they're holding in reserve for the future.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
Great news on these upcoming titles. I am also excited for Space Ghost and Birdman, among others. I'll add another vote for The Herculoids - one of my all-time favorites when I was a kid (saw them in syndication)!

I would also love to see Laff-A-Lympics, Shazzan, Moby Dick, Yogi's Gang, Space Stars from 1981 (with new Space Ghost & Herculoids episodes) - and just where the HECK is the feature length film "Hey There, It's Yogi Bear"?? This movie was great and must be restored!

CIULLOCAMNY

Agent
Real Name
CHRIS
Love those DILLY SISTERS - TA RA RA BOOM DE YAY ! Kevin Martinez mentioned in an earlier thread that ALL NEW Popeye Hour and Popeye and Son might be released. Well in case it hasn't been mentioned anywhere, WB has decided to really did deep for all of the original Theatrical Paramount Popeyes and give them thier well overdue release some time next year. No more A.A.P. titles. The full enchilada with the original Paramount opens and endings. Right now on Boomerang - A Cartoon Network spin-off - they have been airing some of the color Popeyes from the 1950's with Paramount titles, but some are actually digitally edited in order to give the viewer an idea of what the original Paramounts used to look and sound like. I hope they don't try and fool us with some clever digitally enhanced titles. I'm hoping that they find the original negatives or positive masters and do the set up nice. I'm not quite sure if the black and whites are a part of it. I want to say yes, but I'll have to dig up some more info on that. How about some DEVLIN, SPEED BUGGY and FUNKY PHANTOM, WB ? I would also like to see the TOM AND JERRY / GRAPE APE SHOW.

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III

That title is definitely on the top of my must-have-H-B-cartoon-DVD set list! They shouldn't, mustn't fumble the ball on this one!

I sure wish I had the original Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape bridging sequences so I would in a way help a lending hand in constructing the set; I heard they haven't even been able to locate the original hours intact from either series (Grape Ape or Mumbly). I suggested that they try The Library Of Congress or perhaps The Museum Of TV & Radio (in NYC or L.A.). (That might account for the lack of bridging sequences on Boomerang!) After many years of daily doses of the syndicated Tom & Jerry Show (and even The Great Grape Ape), you get a yearning for the hourlong original and what it was like during the original run on ABC from 1975-76.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
I recall this series too. Isn't this when Tom & Jerry were actually friends and they worked together as a team versus the classic Tom & Jerry who were always chasing each other around?

I prefer when they were friends. I know the series was short lived but I enjoyed it!

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I'm kind of surprised that unlike Scooby Doo, they aren't releasing any of the followups of the original series for the Flintstones like Flintstone Kids.

Paul

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't lose hope. The last season of the original show just came out a few weeks ago! Give 'em a chance. I would guess that Flintstones Comedy Hour is on the radar for the future, but there are lots more H-B shows that may get priority.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Actually the next logical Flintstones follow up would be: "The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm show" which was the next one produced and is the only follow-up that I would personally buy.

mannix

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
tim
I plan on getting wait til your father gets home and wally gator. Iwould like
to see valley of the dinosaurs,the hair bear bunch , speed buggy,inch eye
private eye , the amazing chan and clue club come out on dvd

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I would possibly buy:

The Hair Bear Bunch
Goober and the Ghost Chasers
Laff-a-Lympics (I'm sure we'll see this--it's one of their big guns)
Yogi's Ark (or whatever that show was called...)
Herculoids
Jeannie & Baboo (or whatever THAT show was called)
Partridge Family 2200 A.D.
The Funky Phantom (I dressed up as him for Halloween back in 1972...har!)
The Great Grape Ape
Jabberjaw
New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
New Adventures of Gulliver (was that its own show, or a segment of something else?)

...and the list goes on. I don't even know what half the shows were called; I just watched them in early childhood.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

"The Adventures Of Gulliver" (and "The New Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn") originally aired as stand-alone shows. "The Adventures Of Gulliver" premiered on ABC 9/14/1968 and ran for 17 episodes. "The New Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn" was a prime-time series airing Sunday nights on NBC (premiered September 15, 1968) and ran for 20 half-hours. Both were later folded into the syndicated "Banana Splits And Friends" package.

"Jeannie" and "The Partridge Family 2200 A.D." seem to still belong to Sony/Columbia. Those two (along with "Goober And The Ghost Chasers" and "Yogi's Gang") also ended up getting sliced and diced and ended up as part of "Fred Flintstone And Friends" in 1977. That series (anchored by segments of "Pebbles And Bamm Bamm" and "The Flintstone Comedy Show") was originally syndicated by Columbia Pictures TV, and every element in that package seemed to have a Screen Gems-Columbia connection (the characters on "Yogi's Gang" were all classic early Hanna-Barbera characters, whose original shows were at that time--late 1970s--still handled by Columbia Pictures, as was the original "Flintstones" series). One episode of the "Partridge Family" cartoon was included on one of the "Partridge Family" season sets. I'm not sure why "Goober" would have had a connection to Screen Gems, though I know the Partridge kids made at least a couple appearances on that show. I think all these shows now belong to Warner Bros. except for "Jeannie" and the "Partridge Family" cartoon.

"Laff-A-Lympics" (original title: "Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics," later retitled "Scooby's All-Stars") was originally a two-hour show (I believe this was the first two-hour network Saturday morning cartoon show). "Captain Caveman" was originally produced and aired as a segment on "Laff-A-Lympics." Some of the later "Scooby Doo" segments (which didn't make the "Scooby Doo/Dynomutt" DVD set) aired for the first time on "Laff-A-Lympics" (along with a lot of older "Scooby" reruns). I believe "Dynomutt" also aired as part of "Laff-A-Lympics" as well (but I believe these were all reruns of segments already released on the last DVD set). I would be very surprised if any attempt at all was made to reconstruct "Laff-A-Lympics" into its original format...I'd be surprised if anyone at WB even knows it ever aired as anything other than a stand-alone half-hour. But all these shows belong to Warner Bros., so it is conceivable that they could eventually show up on DVD sets.

Right now I am most interested in seeing them get "The Banana Splits Adventure Hour" done, and done right...or as close to "right" as possible, given what I don't know about the condition of their archives. I'm all over that one as soon as it's released, as well as "Wally Gator" and "Quick Draw McGraw."

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well I have no idea how they're going to do Banana Splits. They can run season one as is, but what about season two? Do they just put out the new material? And wasn't there a Fantastic Voyage segment in that second season...because it sure never showed up in syndication during the early 70s. I only ever saw 3 Musketeers and Arabian Knights in syndication (and Danger Island, of course). I saw Hillbilly Bears, but it was on the Atom Ant show in syndication.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

It depends on what you mean by "as is."

If by "as is" you mean the half-hour versions airing on Boomerang, those are one-hour shows cut into half-hours and rescrambled, with a few minutes missing from each. See the episode guide I compiled here:

http://bananasplits.4t.com/index_6.html

Clearly the original one-hour format is the only way to go here, at least for Season 1.

The most logistically feasible thing for them to do might be to just use the in-studio segments with the Banana Splits from the Season 2 shows (assuming the Season 2 shows even still exist and are in WB's archives, and I have yet to see any evidence that this is the case...the shows haven't aired anywhere since 1970). Normally I would say release them in two sets (with "Hocus Pocus Park" as a bonus on Season 2) but since "Arabian Knights" and "Danger Island" are repeated from Season 1, and "The Hillbilly Bears" is repeated from "Atom Ant," that would be very redundant.

The cartoon you're remembering is probably "Micro-Venture." There were four of those, which appeared later on in Season 1.

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III

Looking magnificent so far, Mark. It's great that you've decided to resurrect such a well-detailed account on The Banana Splits Adventure Hour; it didn't deserve to go under. I hope you plan to adapt some more of the former bananasplits.com from Internet Archives.

In fact, I finished updating the link to your site on my New Tom & Jerry site! KUTGW! :D

(Shame about Jeff Winkless... :frowning: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks