Hanging the screen/weight issue

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_Bailey, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Adam_Bailey

Adam_Bailey Extra

I just got my 92" stewart screen today. I think it's going to work out great with the exception of one thing I'm a bit worried about. The box says it weighs 48 pounds. Now, the instructions just say to mount it according to your needs. Real helpful you know. Anyway, they provide four anchors(? the are long screws that have a hinge that pushes behind the drywall through a hole and then unfold, butterfly?), but I'm wondering if this is really going to be strong enough. Anyone put up a stewart screen on just drywall?

2. Jim Doolittle

Adam,

I would suggest that you inquire with the screen manufacturer for this type of information, I'm sure that they have experience in this matter and will be glad to assist. In the event that something got damaged, it would be better for you if you had been following their advice.

3. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

you may want to ask at the screen section of AVS forum, Don Stewart is a regular contributor there.

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I had my AV store do my screen installation. I made sure they mounted into the studs (thus using different screws), which was the installer's choice anyway. As I recall, the mounting brackets can be positioned anywhere you need them horizontally, so why not go that route.

Doug

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I would not feel comfortable with 4 mounting bolts (with butterfly clamps) in drywall with the 92" Firehawk. Mount off the studposts instead.

6. Adam_Bailey

Adam_Bailey Extra

Thanks for the input everyone. I called Stewart and they said that those anchors are more then sufficient (not that they were real excited to help or informative, although, I admit there is little reason for the biggest and best cinema screen manufacturer to really care). I agree with everyone here that going into the studs would be better. The problem is the clamp on the frame is fixed, so it's either use the anchors or tear out the drywall.

7. EdAngell

EdAngell Stunt Coordinator

Couldn't you run a couple of strips of wood across the wall horizontally and anchor them into the studs, and THEN mount the screen brackets to the strips using screws?

8. Adam_Bailey

Adam_Bailey Extra

yes, that appears to be the right answer. thanks.