What's new

Hammer horror - which one to get (best movie)? (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Nice review of X the Unknown. I bookmarked your Hammer reviews and will read them all.

I'm real interested in getting the TV series Hammer House of Horror. I'll bet I saw a few of those as a child, along with Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected and another import into the US called Tales From the Darkside. I remember Darkside being outstanding. Too bad it isn't available. Unexpected isn't half bad though. But I'll get Hammer is better than both.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young

Glad you like 'em, I'm reviewing Herzog and Bava this month, but I'll return to Hammer in September.

The TV series is generally good - each one is like a short horror movie with some genuinely scary and tense stories, and they have some superb and often very grim endings. I'd recommend it.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Herzog did Nosferatu with Kinski! Wonderfully creepy stuff. I've seen several Bava flicks. I own Planet of the Vampires from the MGM Midnite Collection, Kill Baby Kill and the Mystery Science Theater 3000 version of Danger Diabolik.

That's cool. It's hard to trust general opinion on the net for those Hammer things since people seem to get bent out of shape over them being slow paced. Im glad I know the truth about what makes something worth and not worth watching. :D I'll definately buy them sometime when my money gets right.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter

Well stated. Hammer films were truly unique. Their atmospheric horror led to many sleepless nights for me as a youngster. :)

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Some new Hammer DVD news. 'Twins of Evil' (1971) and 'Hands of the Ripper' (1971) are coming out on DVD here in the UK on 9th October. Cover-art and some details at the links, no word yet on whether or not these DVDs will include new prints or bonus features, the old Carlton DVDs that these are replacing had good prints but no features.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Those covers look a little cheesy. I'd be happy to buy them if they come to R1.

I'm wondering if more Hammers will get releases with extras.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Some more Hammer DVDs out in the UK:

'The Hammer Ultimate Collection' includes 21 films in one giant boxset, or as single disc releases. While there are no new features in the set (several of the films include documentaries and commentaries from the ABUS discs), there are some nice new transfers and the DVD debut of 'The Nanny' (1965). The discs that do include commentaries should prove good alternatives to the OOP (and often very expensive) ABUS discs.

We've got the first reviews, and more details at: http://mondo-esoterica.net/boxsets/U...%20Hammer.html

The Network DVD 'Twins of Evil' and 'Hands of the Ripper' releases are now also reviewed:
http://mondo-esoterica.net/Twins%20of%20Evil.html
http://mondo-esoterica.net/Hands%20o...%20Ripper.html

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
That's not quite right. Both Dracula: Prince of Darkness and The Plague of the Zombies were produced like that, but not with each other. Prince was made with Rasputin, the Mad Monk, and Plague was made with The Reptile. They were double-billed the way they were to disguise the fact that the films shared the same sets and casts.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I know this thread is about the goriest/"Hammeriest" Hammer films, but I also have to recommend "Quatermass and the Pit" and "Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter". Both of these unusual entries in the Hammer canon are exceptional films, with Quatermass being my personal all-time favorite Hammer effort. I really hope that someday it will get either an anamorphic re-release or come out on HD-DVD.

Come to think of it I'd love to see ALL of Hammer's stuff on high-def.

EDIT: I had no idea that the OOP "Quatermass and the Pit" was fetching such ridiculous prices. $40-$140 on Amazon.com Marketplace??? D'OH!

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young

Correct. The two A-films, Rasputin/D-PoD were shot first since they needed more post production, shortly afterwards, John Gilling shot the next two films on slightly altered sets and without the star casts. Look carefully at the sunken graveyard in Plague/Reptile - it is actually built in the moat of Dracula/Rasputin's castle!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I was aware of this, but alas it's Region 2, I'm in the U.S., and my player isn't region-free. ARGH!!! Too bad it's not being released on our side of the pond. :thumbsdown:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I'd just buy that. It can be found for about $6 in most bargin bins now. If you like it, then try universals Hammer set. Provided you purchase one that actually plays, you'll get some decent movies for cheap, and a couple of crap ones.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I remember back in 1979 (I was around 4 years old) watching these films on Saturday nights. I can recall one that takes place in a cellar or something with people walking around in a dimly lit area. Not sure which one it is..maybe Curse of Frankenstein? I also remember Brides of Dracula.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Looks like no new Hammer releases this autumn, although the rumoured Anchor Bay boxset has not yet been completely written off, and the DDHE/Columbia partnership might yet see some Hammer titles coming out in the UK.

Either way, I decided to watch through the rest of my Universal Hammer boxset, and have new reviews of:

Curse of the Werewolf (1961)
Nightmare (1964)
Paranoiac (1963)
Phantom of the Opera (1962)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks