What's new

HAMMER FILM BLU-RAYS IN THE U.K. ... getting closer to the Holy Grail (DRACULA, 1958)... (1 Viewer)

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
John Hodson said:
It's not 'moral engineering'...
Sorry, I presumed from your comment:
John Hodson said:
I can't bring myself to buy the new BD of TDRO, BTW, because (a) I don't approve and (b) buying it would signal my approval.
That you were taking a moral stance on the matter.
RE:
John Hodson said:
I have absolutely no desire to buy it in the current iteration.
When you say 'current', it's as if you believe there may be future Blu-ray Disc releases. Possibly, but I wouldn't want to bet my house on it. There's a very good chance that it's this or nowt.
John Hodson said:
My nose and face are fine.
No worries, I was merely expressing my opinion and my reasons for it, and referring to my own nose & face - I'm sure your nose and face are both in good order, whatever you choose.
Best wishes, as ever.
Steve W

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
John Hodson said:
Hammer's latest response to complaints about Rasputin's audio on their blog:
It's the "Hey Guys Hey Gals" thread hijacked by talk about the Rasputin sound problem.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Calling Robert Harris and Jim Harwood:
Can you explain what went wrong with Hammer's new RASPUTIN track from the recent Blu-ray?
http://soundcloud.com/sleep-cant/rasputin

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Bob Furmanek said:
Calling Robert Harris and Jim Harwood:
Can you explain what went wrong with Hammer's new RASPUTIN track from the recent Blu-ray?
http://soundcloud.com/sleep-cant/rasputin
Bob, I had noted in a previous post that I'm guessing that Hammer was working with an optical soundtrack negative and they didn't have their equipment calibrated for negative, but for positive. Either that or they were just so sensitive to background hiss and tried to hide it with too heavy a hand on the audio controls.
The opening and closing credits of the new Blu-ray of RASPUTIN THE MAD MONK sound the worst. The rest of the feature is a bit better, though the old DVD release from years ago does sound superior.
Regardless, something like this shouldn't have passed QC.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Bob Furmanek said:
Calling Robert Harris and Jim Harwood: Can you explain what went wrong with Hammer's new RASPUTIN track from the recent Blu-ray? http://soundcloud.com/sleep-cant/rasputin
Bob, I had noted in a previous post that I'm guessing that Hammer was working with an optical soundtrack negative and they didn't have their equipment calibrated for negative, but for positive. Either that or they were just so sensitive to background hiss and tried to hide it with too heavy a hand on the audio controls. The opening and closing credits of the new Blu-ray of RASPUTIN THE MAD MONK sound the worst. The rest of the feature is a bit better, though the old DVD release from years ago does sound superior. Regardless, something like this shouldn't have passed QC.

Apparently, I've hit the incorrect digital button. Was attempting to reply, and not edit.

I agree with Mr. Harwood. Difficult to give an opinion, however, knowing nothing of the elements. Sound to have been taken off an old Edison cylinder. Whatever the cause, unacceptable, and should be returned.

RAH

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
I'm not saying this was what happened, but it sounds to me like the sound of someone recording sound playing through TV speakers with a microphone.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
In case it was missed, here's what Hammer had to say about RASPUTIN's audio:
Although we don’t agree that it’s “terrible”, there is a reasonable explanation as to why the audio on the new StudioCanal UK release sounds different from that of previous releases. The current release has sound which has been restored directly from the original mono audio on an original 35mm optical element (as with many Hammer titles, the original M&E masters no longer exist). The audio was in very bad shape, but comprehensively restored. Sadly the removal of a very high level of hiss throughout meant an extensive EQ pass. This pass made the dialogue much more audible and drastically reduced the levels of hiss, but also by necessity affected the range of the audio. After the EQ pass, the ticks, crackle, pops and scratches were almost completely removed. The options for this particular release of the film were to leave the artefacts on the soundtrack (which really would have made it sound “terrible”) or restore the audio but thereby affect the range. We are 100% happy that we made the correct decision in this case and hope the restored audio doesn’t impact your appreciation of the overall presentation.
http://blog.hammerfilms.com/?p=149#comments

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Hammer's response once again makes no sense and several people let them know it on the Hammer blog. After an audio technician of many years told them they were doing something VERY wrong, they closed their blog from accepting replies again.
There's no excuse for cranking the audio noise reduction as high as they did. Who cares if there's a little bit of hiss in the soundtrack? Most of the people who are buying these discs aren't expecting 7.1 Dolby Digital.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Eastmancolor /t/322651/hammer-film-blu-rays-in-the-u-k-getting-closer-to-the-holy-grail-dracula-1958/90#post_4002006
Hammer's response once again makes no sense and several people let them know it on the Hammer blog. After an audio technician of many years told them they were doing something VERY wrong, they closed their blog from accepting replies again.
There's no excuse for cranking the audio noise reduction as high as they did. Who cares if there's a little bit of hiss in the soundtrack? Most of the people who are buying these discs aren't expecting 7.1 Dolby Digital.
Don't remove the "hiss."

Easy.

From what I've heard, the discs are unacceptable, regardless of who did what to what.

RAH

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I hate to make this point, but Hammer's attitude about the problems with their releases proves to a certain extent my argument about buying the disc and seeing it before you complain. They're not interested in doing anything about the discs because all the complainers have been going "if it's going to be like that, then no sale.". There's little incentive for them to do anything for a handful of what they see as moaners or whingers. If they got an alarmed communique from a major retailer or two saying "what the hell's happening? We've had 2000 complaints and 375 returns saying the sound is crap" they might pay more attention.
The way to a company's attention is through its cashflow.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mark Oates said:
I hate to make this point, but Hammer's attitude about the problems with their releases proves to a certain extent my argument about buying the disc and seeing it before you complain. They're not interested in doing anything about the discs because all the complainers have been going "if it's going to be like that, then no sale.". There's little incentive for them to do anything for a handful of what they see as moaners or whingers. If they got an alarmed communique from a major retailer or two saying "what the hell's happening? We've had 2000 complaints and 375 returns saying the sound is crap" they might pay more attention.
The way to a company's attention is through its cashflow.
As suggested, return discs as defectively mastered. No replacement. And cease buying the product.
Easy.
RAH

kinzoels

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bill lettang
I was wondering who among you, like Mr. Harris, Mr. Hodson etc. have seen the restored Dracula at one of the World Premieres and what are your thoughts about it

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you're talking the version which includes the recently found Japanese footage, then, no - it's only been screened once hasn't it? *However*, I believe the upcoming release is based on the Warner/BFI restoration of five years ago which I have seen digitally projected - at 1.66:1 - and it was utterly gorgeous. IMHO.
It would take Gold medal winning Olympic standard oafs to screw this one up. Do we know any?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks