HAMMER FILM BLU-RAYS IN THE U.K. ... getting closer to the Holy Grail (DRACULA, 1958)...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Dick, Jul 28, 2012.

1. tele1962

tele1962 Supporting Actor

Barry
    Maybe he hasn't seen it yet?

2. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Yeah, he's kind of a busy guy, y'know.

3. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Hey we Brits invented sarcasm you know. :lol:

4. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    I know. British blood, transplanted to Canada. ;)

5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I am guessing the weather is a lot like being in the UK, by the way i do like your Ebert quote, it's so true.

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  6. SAhmed

SAhmed Second Unit

Shakeel
    In no way am I putting words in Robert Harris's mouth but speaking from my understanding of past observations, when Mr. Harris doesn't respond (particularly when he has expressed an interest in a release) I take it to mean "if you can't say something nice then don't say anything" :)

I may of course be wrong in which case I stand corrected!

Regards,

7. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    I own the U.K. Blu-ray of the 1958 DRACULA.

If you have a multi region BD player..... BUY THIS FILM!

8. kinzoels

kinzoels Agent

bill lettang
    Hello SAhmed: A very respectful thought on your part, but Mr.Harris has made his thoughts quite known regarding the Blu Ray Sparatcus, which is essentiallly, take it off the market! In fairness, this could be because of the extensive restoration work he did on the film, but he's not adverse to speaking his mind. With more and more viewings of DRACULA I continue to find things that bug me...I tried watching it "up close" and I don't mean 2 feet away, as you would expect to be able to do witih a restored blu ray presentation and couldn't help notice the amazing ammount of grain "movement". So I went back to watching further back. I also did a frame by frame analysis of the ending and found obvious pin holes" in the print,which makes me ask how much restoration was actually done. Lastly, I don't so much have any trouble with the color grading except for the scene of Minas face at the top of the stairs and in the bedroom...what I do have a problem with is the blu rays contrast changes on a scene by scene basis. It changes dramatically, and dosn't "hang together" as well as it could..just my thoughts...I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts on this grain point

9. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

10. John-Weller

John-Weller Stunt Coordinator

John
    I'm actually largely content with the colour timing on the transfer. It's much darker than usual but it's not been tealed or anything, and it's far superior to the Warner DVD. However, I'd be interested in seeing Warner have another crack at it for a Blu-Ray.

The extras on this set are superb. Great commentary, documentary on the film, featurettes on the censorship and the restoration, and a lovely Christopher Frayling interview/essay.

The Japanese reels included are very interesting to see. I have no idea if they are technicolor or Eastmancolor, but they show a colour scheme partway between the Warner DVD and this BD, which suggest the happy medium.