What's new

Halloween releases? (1 Viewer)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I understand Paramount does not think Classic Titles sell and are not releasing them on Blu ray. I've heard that from a couple industry sources. Hopefully I am wrong. But it seems true. at this point there has been no discussion or rumors of The Ten Commandments, War of the Worlds, White Christmas, Chinatown, Sunset Boulevard, To Catch a Thief, etc. even being worked on for Blu ray. Pretty much all of these titles were on DVD pretty quickly once the format was established. I'd guess a Rosemary's Baby SE on Blu ray would fall into that list. Since Criterion has a relationship with Paramount, it would not be out of the question for them to release Blu ray editions of Rosemary's Baby, and perhaps other horror/thriller titles like The Tenant, Don't Look Now, Seconds and War of the Worlds.

I'd like Sony to release a William Castle set similar to the Harryhausen BD set. They could include 13 Ghosts/The Tingler/Homicidal/Straight Jacket.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Camper

It's just about the time when the studios start announcing their horror releases tied to the Halloween season. So, what are the titles you hope or expect this year?

Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby...?

I actually would like a little cheese on my Blu-ray genre platter---how about

Race with the Devil !, The Sentinel ! ('76), Them!, They Live!, Prince of Darkness!, Terror Train!, Blacula!, Count Yorga---Vampire!, and, so i brush up on my Esperanto----Inncubus!

So folks, got a wish list?
I second Them! and I'd also like to see Creature from the Black Lagoon, It Came from Outer Space, Tarantula, The Thing (original) and I'm forgetting some I know. How 'bout putting Creature and It Came out in 3D? I know, I'm dreaming. King Kong is coming, I don't remember if it'll be in time for Halloween.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Camper

So folks, got a wish list?

I'm a big fan of the monster-in-the-woods movie, Prophecy. I probably could have put that in the Holy Grail thread, since I would LOVE to have it, but I honestly can't imagine ever seeing it released on Bd- at least not by Paramount (or even Lionsgate). A Bd of it will probably forever exist as only a mythical concept.

Another one I'm a big fan of is Wolfen. I was hoping that Universals Wolf Man remake would have been popular enough to convince Warner to kick this out to tie-in with it, but that never panned out.

Outside of a logical tie-in opportunity like that, I can't see Warner bothering to release this on Blu, which is a real shame.

The Car is another popcorn favorite, and another one that makes use of a wide (2.35:1) screen, and as such would defintely benefit from the increased resolution. Since Universal released it's own disc of it a few years back, there should be a fairly new HD master laying around. Maybe in another year or two.

More realistic selections would include Zombie (or Zombi). I thought I heard this due to be released at some point on Bd a while back, but haven't heard anything since. I just got around to finally seeing it a year or two back and it was much more entertaining than I expected it to be.

It would be nice if, when Warner finally releases the Dark Shadows films, they would offer Bd versions day and date with the DVDs. The fans waited patiently a long time for these. Making higher quality versions available without a wait would be appreciated.

I don't understand why it's taking forever to get Phantasm out on Bd. Every year I expect it to be announced and every year I'm disappointed.

Of the many MGM held properties, Planet Of The Vampires is probably the one I'm most anxious to see in HD. It never even got a proper anamorphic release so a Bd could potentially be a massive improvement over what exists.

Other MGM titles I would love to see- The Howling; Blacula; Scream Blacula, Scream; Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (along with the original version from Paramount or Lionsgate or, if we are lucky, Criterion)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Anyone wanting horror movies on DVD/BD have a lot to look forward to but not from the major studios as usual. In addition to the Corman titles that Shout! Factory is working on (which are many), the independent labels have plenty of cool titles on the pipeline:

The Dorm that Dripped Blood (Synapse)

Horror Express (Synapse) on BD!

Bonnie's Kids (Dark Sky)

Dark Night of the Scarecrow (VCI)

Horror High (Code Red)

Primal Rage (Code Red)

and these are only the ones I remember at the moment. Expect many of these titles to feature lots of extras and most have been properly mastered to pristine conditions. Maybe the big studios can learn something from the little guys.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott
Another one I'm a big fan of is Wolfen. I was hoping that Universals Wolf Man remake would have been popular enough to convince Warner to kick this out to tie-in with it, but that never panned out. Outside of a logical tie-in opportunity like that, I can't see Warner bothering to release this on Blu, which is a real shame.

Other MGM titles I would love to see- The Howling; Blacula; Scream Blacula, Scream; Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (along with the original version from Paramount or Lionsgate or, if we are lucky, Criterion)

If I had been listening to the sales pitch to make Wolfen and it went like this: "Let's make a horror movie where the monsters look like regular wolves. We'll save big bucks on special effects!" I would gone thumbs down on it. However, Wolfen is a scary, creepy, well made movie. I guess it helped that it was based on a novel with the same attributes. Love to see this in blu, I have the DVD.

I second the motion for The Howling.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
So, i was thinking of starting a Halloween related wishlist thread, but then i found this and thought to bump it.
Another Halloween coming and still no Arsenic and Old Lace on Bluray!!! :(

Any other Halloween related/themes movies that haven't made it to bluray yet?

(also waiting for the Changeling)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks