What's new

Directors Haiku "Name that film"! (1 Viewer)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I liked this thread so I'm bringing it back (with more Haiku's!). I've tried to make them a little harder (but still specific to one film).

Movie #1:
U.S., Nippon fight
Two film crews results in
historic drama

Movie #2:
Bob Barker punches,
others take a mighty swing.
Who will win it all?

Movie #3:
Biker is attacked
psychic cartoon destroys town
Goodbye, Tokyo

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Number 2 is "Happy Gilmore".

Now, here's my haiku:

Overweight Matron
Teenage Thirty-Six Year Old
Branded Mermaid Model

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Anybody care to take a guess?

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Mine's a little tricky, but I guess you have to dig B-movies to get it.

The answer is "Reform School Girls".

Overwight Matron=Pat Ast as Edna, one of the prison's employees.

Teenage Thirty-Six Year Old-Wendy O. Williams as Charlie Chambliss, the oldest teenager in the joint.

Branded Mermaid Model (Six syllables, close enough, though)-Sherri Stoner as Lisa, an inmate who gets branded with a closehanger. "Mermaid Model" is a reference to the fact that Stoner would provide the live-action reference footage for the character of Ariel from "The Little Mermaid".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Sorry, I haven't seen enough foreign films.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
OK, I've tried to make mine a little more difficult (looking at my movie collection is cheating)!

Movie #1:
Vegetable gardener
rejects Shogun's job, loved by
Madame Butterfly

Movie #2:
'King' Kong attacks them
Who will be their rescuer?
A unique sheriff

Movie #3: (OK, this one may be easier)
He goes South to hit
Not a Sprite commercial but
maturing needed

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
OK, I'll give you a hint about each actor that is described in the first line. Note that I'm being crafty... instead of using an actor or actress's name I've used their character from a different movie.

#1: This actor was also in the Seven Samurai & is/was a very famous Japanese actor.
#2: "King" Kong is in quotes and refers to the nickname of a character that this actor played in a well known movie. Once you know the actor, the rest should be fairly straight forward.
#3: Think about who did a 7-Up commercial (not a Sprite commercial). He was also in Magnolia. This actor is not the one who headed South. This movie involves hitting...

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Well, since there is no interest in this thread I'll post the answers and let it die...

#1: Miyamoto Musashi kanketsuhen: kettô Ganryûjima (Samurai III: Duel on Ganryu Island). Takezo (Musashi) decided to turn down the Shogun's offer and instead becomes a vegetable gardener. Madame Butterfly refers to the actress Kaoru Yachigusa, who plays Madame Butterfly in an earlier film and is in love with Musashi in this movie.

#2: Blazing Saddles. Slim Pickens was the actor who played Maj. T.J. 'King' Kong in Dr. Strangelove. So, what movie has Slim Pickens attacking people that have an unlikely rescuer? Blazing Saddles of course...

#3: Drumline. Orlando Jones (of earlier 7up commercial fame) plays a band leader in the South. An immature freshman comes south on scholarship (to play / hit the drums)... the rest is a coming of age story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks