What's new

Hafler circuit (1 Viewer)

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
If you're referring to the ambient recovery circuit it's pretty easy
Left front + to Left rear +
Right front + to Right rear+
jumper between the left and right rear - terminals.
HERE'S more info
The main problem with it is that it's difficult to balance the output levels. The old DynaQuad box used a 50 watt stereo L-pad that burned out after while.
I had friends that made line level devices (same circuit) and then ran the output to power amps. That works ok if the amps have input level controls.

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
The main problem with it is that it's difficult to balance the output levels. The old DynaQuad box used a 50 watt stereo L-pad that burned out after while.
=====
I had good luck with this the one time I tried it:

Tie the center channel (-) to a variable pot (0-nominal speaker impedance) to the LF and RF (-) jumper, and the CC's (+) to the LR (-) and RR (-) jumper. Once the pot is dialed in, replace it with a sufficiently high wattage resistor.

Note that the speakers must all be the same nominal impedance and that the amp must use a common ground for left and right channel speakers.

GM

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
John
You can always point your browser to Link Removed This box is an evolution of the original Dynaco Quadaptor (Hafler design which I still own by the way and it works flawlesly) and it appears to have a somehow improved circuity.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
I used the several of the DynaQuad boxes in the late 70's/early 80's. Always ended up burning out the L-pad.
Maybe I was was just too heavy handed in my younger days :)

Wiring the circuit on the speaker level side DOES put very high loads on the amp! Iam looking for a circuit that does this on the pre-amp side.btw check this I found:
US Patent No. 5,386,473
Passive Surround Sound Circuit
Issued: January 31, 1995
Inventor: Robert W. Harrison, Cortland, NY

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks