What's new

Hades froze over......Wonder Years! (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi randy,

i simply said that we consumers in general do not want to whine and complain that the releasers did not work hard enough to get all the licenses when they demonstrate that they got 90% of them.

and that we would believe them if they tell us that one of the reasons that some of the songs were not obtained is because the owners would not license at any cost.

that is all i said that prompted your rebuttal. which none of them hit the spot.

your very last argument, of which i have no problem, is a good one if you want to argue the following

music rights owners do not feel comfortable with setting a price on something that they own such that they lose all control. to me, that would be like selling the right, instead of licensing it.

which was obvious to me from the get-go, as to one of the reasons why there is failure to get original music.

if you recall, i stated that deals for these shows could be worked out. but it meant each party needs to understand the fears of the other, and then reach a compromise that is suitable for both.

which apparently they did here with wonder years. and i think it sets a great precedent for getting other shows released that have music issues or other sorts of issues that involve multiple parties.

for the most part, parties are interested in making profit. but they all want some protection. it does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, IIRC, Pink Floyd is one of those artists that licenses out nothing at this point, so even if Time-Life were to decide to do WKRP (which doesn't seem too farfetched now after China Beach and Wonder Years), the Dogs scene would still have to be cut in some way.
Oddly enough, a very recent episode of "Family Guy" had a brief clip of "Comfortably Numb" It surprised me a great deal. It was pretty quick though. Is there any kind of law that says you can use a song without clearing it if it's only heard for a second or two? I thought I had heard something to that effect once, but really don't know if it's true.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Ooops. I missed this and posted about it myself.

Anyway, it's all great news. Can't wait to order my copy. Sounds like it's going to be done right. Now...WKRP...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
From The e-mail I received today:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since word got out that we are releasing The Wonder Years on DVD, we've been flooded with fan questions. Here's the behind-the-scenes scoop, straight from our production team:

polaroid_kevin.jpg
How soon can I get The Wonder Years?
We are expecting the collection to start shipping early fall. We'll send out an email when the date is confirmed. Fans will have the opportunity to pre-order, confirming their place as one of the first to receive the collection.

Will the original music be included?
This show has been kept from DVD release for years due to music licensing rights. We are working with music publishers and record companies now to clear the path to include the series' original soundtrack, including the iconic theme song "With a Little Help from My Friends."

How many DVDs and episodes will be in the set?
We are releasing all 115 episodes on an estimated 20 DVDs. The number of DVDs may increase depending on the amount of bonus features we are able to create and acquire.

Will it be released on Blu-ray?
We do not have any plans for a Blu-ray release at this time.

polaroid_winnie.jpg
Can you tell Winnie that I love her?
She already knows. ;)

Do you have more questions? Visit our Facebook page to ask us directly. We'll answer what we can. And be on the lookout for more emails about the release date, exclusive videos and sneak peeks!

From,
The Team at StarVista Entertainment / Time Life

tlsv_spacer.gif
wy_em_hd_mastrgt.gif
tlsv_spacer.gif
wy_em_ft_top.gif
wy_em_ft_tcf.gif
wy_em_ft_svtl.gif
Unsubscribe | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
tlsv_spacer.gif

© 1988 - 1993 New World Communications Group Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.

© 2014 Direct Holdings Americas Inc. StarVista is a registered trademark of Direct Holdings Americas Inc. TIME LIFE and the TIME LIFE logo are registered trademarks of Time Warner Inc. and affiliated companies. Used under license by Direct Holdings Americas Inc., which is not affiliated with Time Warner Inc. or Time Inc.

StarVista Entertainment / Time Life Customer Service, P.O. Box 8988 Pueblo, CO 81008

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Bryan^H said:
From The e-mail I received today:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since word got out that we are releasing The Wonder Years on DVD, we've been flooded with fan questions. Here's the behind-the-scenes scoop, straight from our production team:

polaroid_kevin.jpg
How soon can I get The Wonder Years?
We are expecting the collection to start shipping early fall. We'll send out an email when the date is confirmed. Fans will have the opportunity to pre-order, confirming their place as one of the first to receive the collection.

Will the original music be included?
This show has been kept from DVD release for years due to music licensing rights. We are working with music publishers and record companies now to clear the path to include the series' original soundtrack, including the iconic theme song "With a Little Help from My Friends."

How many DVDs and episodes will be in the set?
We are releasing all 115 episodes on an estimated 20 DVDs. The number of DVDs may increase depending on the amount of bonus features we are able to create and acquire.

Will it be released on Blu-ray?
We do not have any plans for a Blu-ray release at this time.

polaroid_winnie.jpg
Can you tell Winnie that I love her?
She already knows. ;)

Do you have more questions? Visit our Facebook page to ask us directly. We'll answer what we can. And be on the lookout for more emails about the release date, exclusive videos and sneak peeks!

From,
The Team at StarVista Entertainment / Time Life

tlsv_spacer.gif
wy_em_hd_mastrgt.gif
tlsv_spacer.gif
wy_em_ft_top.gif
wy_em_ft_tcf.gif
wy_em_ft_svtl.gif
Unsubscribe | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
tlsv_spacer.gif

© 1988 - 1993 New World Communications Group Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.

© 2014 Direct Holdings Americas Inc. StarVista is a registered trademark of Direct Holdings Americas Inc. TIME LIFE and the TIME LIFE logo are registered trademarks of Time Warner Inc. and affiliated companies. Used under license by Direct Holdings Americas Inc., which is not affiliated with Time Warner Inc. or Time Inc.

StarVista Entertainment / Time Life Customer Service, P.O. Box 8988 Pueblo, CO 81008

So, in other words...

Forget watching this on a 4K TV...

sarcasm

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
thanks bryan for the update.

i may be reading something into this that is not there -

but i did say i thought they would still be working with music people to get more songs.

or that the music people would be working with them, so they could get a piece of the action.

either way, if so, more music will be there than was known about when the release was initially announced.

it will be very interesting to see just how much they can get, and who the holdouts were !!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
regarding a blu-ray release - there is no way that they can be truthful about that now.

nor do i think they should be.

it is a question that simply should not have been asked, just like we dont go up to someone and ask them some personal question that is none of our business.

they are putting a tremendous effort into what they are doing.

telling the fans that a blu-ray will be released soon - would kill sales of the dvds.

i suspect we will get a blu-ray eventually.

but it may be a long time. because i get the impression that they are doing everything they can to make this dvd release USER FRIENDLY !!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
jimmyjet said:
regarding a blu-ray release - there is no way that they can be truthful about that now.
Like many shows of that era, The Wonder Years was edited on video so they'd have to go back to the negatives (a la Star Trek: The Next Generation) and that's most likely a cost that's too big to overcome.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i am fairly content with dvd quality, in the sense that i am not apt to double dip just for blu-ray clarity.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Since virtually nobody owns one, that probably wasn't a hard call, especially when you consider the costs that others have noted, not to mention the cost with the music etc

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Little peek at the extras...

"creators of The Wonder Years – Neal Marlens and Carol Black. Here’s a sneak peek at their interview where they talk about casting the role of Kevin Arnold"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUBy6mg8cLM&feature=youtu.be/?utm_source=WY_interview_EM05&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Y13GTLWBUS&utm_content=vidLink

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
schan1269 said:
So, in other words...

sarcasm
And who would want to? Post production of the show was all done on tape. If you want to rush out and get 4K, then you have to be prepared to accept the fact that you're disregarding the realities of legacy material. In fact, the studio masters of this show never looked good originally and there is a high grain content in the film portion transfers. A DVD release is the only logical choice, and I'll bet that when it comes out, there will be all kinds of screaming about the quality.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Of course I'd buy this set if it came in a brown paper bag. But ugh, I really hate gimmicky packaging. I'd much prefer a simple box with a few standard keepcases inside it, something like Shout's recent complete set of The Bob Newhart Show.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I agree... but it does look damn amazing. Maybe the coolest looking gimmicky packaging I've ever seen. Similar idea to MASH. Maybe the dvds won't be destroyed like those.

Now... lets talk price. I don't have a lot of money TL so I'll pay you guys....say $100. I know y'all need the money so here it is! I'll even send a one hundred dollar bill! No need to mess with small bills or credit card numbers or anything like that and you send me one of those Wonder Years sets. ... good... good deal. whew! I'm glad my begging is over.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I too can't stand gimmicky packaging. I think it's a major turn-off. I'll wait for the re-release (or second printing). This will no doubt have the obligatory defective discs and missing music replaced. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks