What's new

Hades froze over......Wonder Years! (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Okay, you win. Feel free to have the last word if you'd like. I'm happy the show is coming out even if it's not going to have every song. It's all good in that sense.

Gary " :rolleyes: " O.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Gary OS said:
Okay, you win. Feel free to have the last word if you'd like. I'm happy the show is coming out even if it's not going to have every song. It's all good in that sense.

Gary " :rolleyes: " O.
I've actually been surprised that the hacked up version didn't make it onto DVD after it was added to Amazon and Netflix streaming a year or two back.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi obsolete man,

i think the studios have greatly improved, in that sense.

and i feel the consumer has been a big part of it.

i gotta think that the stuff at amazon that has a lot of complaints does not sell well.

the complaints about lhotp were countless.

that tells the studio 2 things - that the consumers were unhappy with the product. but to have that many people complain, tells the studios that they have a product that people will buy.

the fugitive project was a huge step in the right direction.

this current one with the wonder years is another big step.

the releasers (or the studio) took the time and made the effort to truly give us the best product that they can.

i see this as a big win-win for both them and us.

and if they have any worry about people holding out for a truly complete product, all they have to do is promise them replacement discs at cost, or some other such thing, such that the consumer can feel that most of the money that he spends today is not just gonna be going down the drain.

i think that would push sales up by quite a bit, and help to establish a system of integrity between them and us, which has been severely lacking in the past.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
As with everyone else, I am stunned and ecstatic at the same time! I can't believe this great series will FINALLY see the light of day and with most of the music intact! I have a feeling that Star Vista will secure the rights to the majority of the music tracks (90% is my prediction). This pending release now opens the door IMO for other problematic shows to get a release- I wonder what else Star Vista might be looking at releasing?! I think the music laden shows with loyal fan bases or with large fan bases are the ones most likely to see a release as these are the ones with enough support to justify the expense of acquiring the rights to the music and putting together a release.

TV_Fan said:
I think I better buy a few more jackets. Something surely has frozen over....Batman & The Wonder Years complete series in the same year? Dang, sure is cold in here.
Ha! Ha! :D

Something has definitely changed, not only are we seeing the release of two shows that most believed would stay in the vault forever but we also have Fox once again licensing out their classic shows for release. Shout! has acquired the rights to at least 7 shows (based on current announcements) and now Star Vista has picked up The Wonder Years. Either a huge shift in the TV on DVD world has occured or we are now living in the bizarro world where things once though impossible are now possible?! :huh: :D

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i forgot about bonanza - everything i have read about the releases so far has shown that the studio is putting out a quality release.

and if lhotp is coming out on blu-ray, i would think it will also be a quality release.

these are some of our big hits and truly lasting shows !!

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
I hate to put it this way, but it seems like all the major, easy shows have been released, and now the companies are looking for any kind of payday and "scraping the bottom of the barrel" so to speak
I agree, they have released all the very popular shows that are guaranteed sellers and are now moving on to the remaining popular shows that have not been released due to various issues such as high music costs.
..or with the decline of DVD sales and physical media, we are now entering the specialized market era (along with a fair amount of budget releases for casual fans and those who are slow adapters to streaming etc.)
I think the budget releases (i.e. Sony's deal with Mill Creek) are due to the current economic environment we are in. Sony made their money off the initial releases of the series they licensed to Mill Creek, whatever they make from this deal is icing on the cake for them. I wonder if we will see other studios follow Sony and license stuff out to budget outfits like Mill Creek?! MGM has licensed out content to TGG Direct and Paramount has so far licensed out 1 series to Mill Creek.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
This is good news, on it's face. Cheers to progress.However on the tangent going on, i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations. But hey i'm here to mostly talk about tv shows i like getting releases, and news like this really does highlight not to count things out.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
There's an interesting dynamic at play when it comes to the music-laden shows being released by third parties, and it's something that drastically affects the licensing of music...

When a major studio looks to clear music for a release, they look to license the song worldwide, in perpetuity (forever), across all media. This is so they don't have to go back years later and re-license the song again in the future. Things are different with a sub-license, since the company (Time Life in this case), is only licensing the song for a specific region (North America), for a set number of years (the length of their licensing contract), for specific media (in this case DVD). This results in a much lower price for licensing the song, and allow the project to become viable. It also means we won't magically see a version on Netflix that includes the original music because it's coming out on DVD.

So, the best thing for a music-heavy show is to be licensed to a company that only operates in one region, and only for physical media. Makes sense?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The release of The Wonder Years signifies nothing for other unreleased shows. The studios involved know that this show is popular enough that they can most likely make a profit despite having to spend money on licensing the music. If it was almost any other unreleased show with this much music, there's no chance that it would be happening.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Gord Lacey said:
There's an interesting dynamic at play when it comes to the music-laden shows being released by third parties, and it's something that drastically affects the licensing of music...

When a major studio looks to clear music for a release, they look to license the song worldwide, in perpetuity (forever), across all media. This is so they don't have to go back years later and re-license the song again in the future. Things are different with a sub-license, since the company (Time Life in this case), is only licensing the song for a specific region (North America), for a set number of years (the length of their licensing contract), for specific media (in this case DVD). This results in a much lower price for licensing the song, and allow the project to become viable. It also means we won't magically see a version on Netflix that includes the original music because it's coming out on DVD.

So, the best thing for a music-heavy show is to be licensed to a company that only operates in one region, and only for physical media. Makes sense?
Totally makes sense, Gord. Thanks for sharing that!

Gary "very interesting" O.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
The studios involved know that this show is popular enough that they can most likely make a profit despite having to spend money on licensing the music. If it was almost any other unreleased show with this much music, there's no chance that it would be happening.
Hence my comment that only very popular music laden series have a shot at being released with music intact due to their large fan base.

I think Star Vista should look into releasing some music laden shows from Paramount (who butchers everything) such as Happy Days. Two other popular series that would sell well IMO if they were released with original music intact are WKRP and Quantum Leap.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Ok guys, here's the new question, Now that the top two unreleased shows are coming out, what's next? What show moves to the top of the most wanted list? Hornet? 77 Sunset Strip? Ozzie and Harriet? Other?

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
in the ozzie thread, it seems like mr. nelson still plans to go it alone.

so i dont think that moves to the top of the list, if we are thinking of it being released soon.

he is still towards the beginning stages. that seems a long ways off.

but it may also mean that we have the best chance of getting the best release possible.

as far as being wanted, it ranks pretty high for me.

but there are probably lots of shows i would enjoy.

and some i have forgotten about !!

it makes sense that the studios work on some sort of cost/benefit plan.

and both of those things are somewhat hidden to us, in terms of actual specifics.

i would hate to even garner a guess at what priorities they have placed upon various shows.

currently, i am more concerned with quality than i am with speed. whatever shows they do release, i hope they do so with the intentions of making them as close to original as possible.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Great news for fans of this show! I'll be honest, I've never seen this (I just didn't watch a lot of tv the years it was on first run) but this sounds like a solid and well written show I'll have to look into. Was this filmed or videotaped? Thanks in advance!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
well, here is a cute clip. boy, i sure hope they got the license to this song !!

i dont really care about the "get a help from my friends" theme song. never liked it much, anyways. and it does not affect any scene.

this song in this scene is not very replaceable.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
a funny memory i have is that by now i had already given up hope on anything of much quality on tv.

i watched here and there, but mainly hour-long shows that might have at least some substance.

an older friend of mine, more in my dad's age, told me about this show that i was really gonna like - cuz he knows me well.

then he said it is a half-hour show (which sorta closed one ear already), about such and such.

he kept going on and on about how i would like it, so in order to change the subject, i told him that i would watch it !!

well, he was right - a wonderful show right in the midst of a bunch of crapola.

here is part 1 of biography about the show. parts 2-5 were also available ( i assume that is all there is).

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i hope they got this song

i think madeline is supposed to be in his class, but in real life, she is 6 years older. and looks it !! very pretty

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
The episode entitled "The Clip Show" is a nice encapsulation of the series. I have a copy on VHS. Great show! Great music! Great news!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks