What's new

Had my first Krispy Kreme today! (1 Viewer)

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Just as there are guidelines for proper home theater set-up there are guidelines for Krispy Kremes.
1) You must not judge a KK doughnut unless you have tried the glazed doughnut only. Not the creme filled, not the jelly filled or the apple frosted....plain glazed ONLY.
2) You must go when the "Hot Doughnuts Now" sign is lit.
Any deviation from these two rules will result in a less than a Krispy experience.
I have been know to eat 1/2 dozen from the box on the way home! The wife and kids have to settle for whats left.
BTW, they also make the best cake doughnut I have ever tasted as well.
Dunkin' dont compare (though they do have a better variety) I drive past three of them to get to the Krispy Kreme. :)
Mike
[Edited last by Mike Knapp on November 04, 2001 at 07:43 AM]

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
That's not to say that the filled Krispy Kreme doughnuts are bad. They're good too, just not as good as the hot glazed. Furthermore, a cooled glazed Krispy Kreme (where the glaze has dried to a thin flaky white frosting but the doughnut is still soft) is still pretty good.

David Oliver

Second Unit
I would trade all the Krispy Kremes in Southern California for one Dunikin' Donuts. But not for the Donuts, for the coffee! DD has the best coffee on the planet. I have some DD coffe in my freezer but it just ain't the same.
As for donuts, the best are made by this place on Regent Street in Madison, WI. Can't remember the name, made their donuts in the middle of the nights for the diner next door. So you would go at 3 in the morning and get some fresh made, amazing chocolate iced dounts. Much better than KK.
------------------
Go Packers!!!

Darren H

Second Unit
My first apartment was on the western edge of Florida State's campus, directly across Tennessee street from a Krispy Kreme. I don't know how many nights I came home late, stepped out of my car, and was overwhelmed by the smell. You can smell a Krispy Kreme three blocks in any direction.
Knapp's right. Eat a regular glazed right off the rack and you'll understand what all the fuss is about.
John, that KK is still on Kingston Pike.
wink.gif

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The best thing about them is that they are cooked at a very high temperature which kills the calories. You can eat all you want and never get fat.
LOL that reminds me of something I once read about beer and ice cream. It counted the number of calories needed to burn to raise cold beer and ice cream to body temperature with the number of calories in them. The numbers showed you would lose weight on a beer and ice cream diet!
It only left out ONE little detail......
wink.gif

------------------

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I was a Dunkin' Donuts fan myself until I tried my first KK. There is no comparison in my book. The DDs are too big and heavy for me. They are more bread like. The KKs are light and fluffy and perfectly sized!
-Max

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Two DJs from a local radio station drove from Spokane WA to Issaquah WA (about 250 miles) in a motor home to get to the grand opening of the new KK store.
They left at 3:30 a.m., broadcasting live on cell phones the entire trip. Waited in line three hours when they arrived. Total of 8 hours 47 minutes to get some donuts, not counting another 5-6 hour drive back home.
Granted, this was just a silly publicity stunt, but all that effort for donuts?

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Wow. We've had Krispy Kreme doughnuts around in this area for as long as I can remember. Not too many dedicated Krispy Kreme bakery/stores, but you could find them at every local convenience store.
I don't eat them too much any more, but as a kid, I can remember waking up on Saturday morning and popping a couple in the microwave for breakfast.
yum.gif

------------------
campic07.jpg

The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

John Beavers

Second Unit
We had a Krispy Kreme open up just two weeks ago in Antioch. I've seen it from the freeway at various times of the day or night. There's this line of cars, sometimes 50 deep in the drive through line. The parking lot for eat in is always full, so your option is to park in the main mall area and huff it over, or wait in line for an hour. My buddy told me he was on his way back from SF one night, 1 a.m. in the morning mind you, and the place was open. He had to wait in line 30 minutes...at 1 a.m. in the frick'n morning for a lousy doughnut.
This is simply bizarre behavior. There must be something in those things that turns normally sane people into doughnut drones who hover around the donut hive at all hours of the day and night. I for one will never take part in such ludicrous behavior. No KK will ever cross these lips!!
wink.gif

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I hear they're better than sex. :)
No, but for some of us they're a lot easier to get, which adds to their charm.
biggrin.gif

I guess I'll have to follow the Knapp guidelines. Since moving to Florida 13 years ago I've heard lots about Krispy Kreme, and tried them a few times when someone brought them to the office, but was never blown away by them. I finally decided that they were one of those regional food/drink fetishes that only really makes sense to people who grew up in the region. (Like the bizarre Coors beer hype, which left me shaking my head when it finally made it to the east coast, especially when people kept trying to convince me that it was better than LaBatt's Blue. :))
There are lots of KKs in the area (hell, they even sell the things boxed in the local supermarkets), but I'll have to keep an eye out for that "Hot Donuts" sign when I'm in the mood and give them a fair test.
BTW, there is one regional food fetish that actually makes sense, but most people don't know it because they're used to pallid imitations served elsewhere. Buffalo wings as prepared and served in Buffalo, New York are seriously addictive and nothing at all like the stuff served at your local TGI Friday's or Appleby's.
Regards,
Joe

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
John Beavers - I don't live too far from that KK you're talking about. (I actually live in Antioch, but work in Concord.) One morning, on my way to work, I got on the freeway right there at Somersville Rd. and there was only 1 car in the drive thru. 7 AM, Hot Doughnuts sign lit, and only 1 car!! If I could have backed up on the on-ramp, I would have.
Joseph DeMartino - How are the Buffalo wings prepared in Buffalo NY? I love the ones at TGI Fridays and have been trying to duplicate the recipe at home. I've actually modified it to my liking, so it's nothing like TGIF's, but it's delicious. I'm wondering how close or how far off I am from the real thing. (I grill the wings on my gas grill instead of frying them and sprinkle a season salt over them. The sauce is 1/2 cup butter (not margarine), 1/4 cup Louisiana Hot Sauce, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 Tbls ground horse radish. Grill the wings and pour on the sauce. Mmmmmm!)
Everybody - A 2 day old cold KK glazed doughnut is still better then any "fresh" doughnut from any other doughnut shop anywhere! :)
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Andy_S

Second Unit
Now I'm craving a Krispy Kream and there isn't one around here! There's a guy at work that brings some in on occasion. I had my first one about a year ago and I loved it. They're so light and airy that I could eat about 5 before I even realize it!
------------------
Home Theater Pics
[Edited last by Andy_S on November 05, 2001 at 05:53 PM]

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Everybody - A 2 day old cold KK glazed doughnut is still better then any "fresh" doughnut from any other doughnut shop anywhere!
Find yourself a nice Mom and Pop shop that bakes their own doughnuts every morning and get there when they come out of the oven/fryer/whatever-the-heck-it-is.
Fresh Jelly doughnuts are heavenly.
On the other hand, a four day or less old "Apple 'n Spice" from Dunkin is still my favorite chain doughnut.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'll never give up my Dunkin Donuts coffee but I am looking forward to trying a KK donut. Is there some specific KK I should be trying or are all of the donuts special?
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
there are lots of KKs here in Florida... and boy o boy are they good... i could eat a whole box
yum.gif
yum.gif

by the way... the doughnut you want is the Original Krispy Kreme Doughnut... right out of the machine... man o man... you guys are makin' me hungry
wink.gif

------------------

robpic.jpg

My DVD Collection / AIM: roblutter/ email:[email protected]
"Why, that's the biggest Kahn since Genghis" -Sealab 2021
[Edited last by RobLutter on November 05, 2001 at 08:43 PM]

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I've come to the conclusion only Communists don't like Krispy Kreme donuts.
laugh.gif
I have a friend who despises Krispy Kreme donuts. He goes to a college where the school colors are red. Hmmmmm...
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
My girlfriend and I went into the Krispy Kreme in Wilmington, DE, the other day when the "HOT" sign was on. We had driven by many times when the HOT sign was on but couldn't stop. Actually, we had never been in the Krispy Kreme period. We had a ball watching the process they use for making glazed donuts. That was so cool! I loved the glaze shower the donuts pass under.
yum.gif
The elevators the donuts travel on are really cool too. We got a couple hot glazed donuts, and they were great. All I can say is that it's a good thing I don't live closer to the Krispy Kreme and don't have occasion to go past it too often. I'd end up living on their donuts. Good stuff.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Bill Catherall:
I actually have no idea how they make the wings in Buffalo. I never got near a kitchen, and had no desire to do so. (I learned a long time ago that you don't really want to know too much about the way certain things you like are prepared. :)) I just know that the ones I've had elsewhere, when the fad first caught on, were pale imitations. In fact, I probably haven't bothered with wings outside of Buffalo in a dozen years - so I suppose it is possible that the recipe has been duplicated somewhere by now. I've just been disappointed so many times that I stopped looking. (And I haven't been to Buffalo in a long time, so I don't have a recent basis for comparison, only memories. :))
But I do know that they were great, and nothing like the faux-wings sold elsewhere. Part of the secret is probably the hot sauce, which varies slightly from wings joint to wings joint in Buffalo (and they are everywhere along with Taco stands - an odd thing to find near the Canadian border. :)) No one south of Buffalo seems to come close. When I was working at IBM in the early 1980s we had a summer intern who went to school at the State Univeristy of New York at Buffalo. One year he called to tell us that he was picking up some extra work in the department over the Christmas break. I gave him the name of a wings joint in Buffalo and told him what to get and how to pack it, then sent him a check to cover the order. He showed up the first night with a cooler full of dry ice and several orders of wings. We were working a double-shift that day, so we let them thaw out, then got one of the guys in the cafeteria to fire up an oven to reheat them for dinner (in exchange for sharing in the feast, natch.) Remember the "Adam's Ribs" episode of M*A*S*H? It was a little like that, except that we got to eat the imported food. :)
Regards,
Joe

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
Like the bizarre Coors beer hype
There was a Coors beer hype in your area? That stuff is considered one step above Hamm's around here. Now Henry Weinhart's, THAT's another story. :) But back to the KK.
I here they're opening a Krispy Kreme in Oregon sometime next year. But no other information yet, unfortunately. I've heard a lot about them and want to try one, but I wonder if it would be worth the 2 hour drive to go up to Issaquah.
------------------
Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks