What's new

H-PAS Speaker Technology: Impressive Bass from 5.25" speakers (you read that right!) (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
At CEDIA 2009 (last year) I saw a wide variety of interesting products and product ideas. I listed my “Top 5” choices in a WIKI Article here and wondered aloud what would happen a year later at CEDIA 2010. Unfortunately, health issues prevented me from attending CEDIA 2010 but I have been closely monitoring conference developments through the excellent coverage here. One of the more interesting concepts demonstrated at the Atlantic Technology Booth was something called [COLOR= #0000ff]H-PAS [/COLOR](for “[COLOR= #0000ff]H[/COLOR]ybrid [COLOR= #0000ff]P[/COLOR]ressure [COLOR= #0000ff]A[/COLOR]cceleration [COLOR= #0000ff]S[/COLOR]ystem”) Speaker Technology, initially developed by Solus/Clements – another highly respected speaker manufacturer – and now having licensing handled by AT. Not surprisingly, Atlantic Technology was the first to bring an H-PAS product to market, with the introduction this month of their AT-1 H-PAS 2 channel system, realizing the prototype that was demonstrated at CEDIA 2009. And this year at CEDIA 2010 AT demonstrated a bookshelf prototype, termed the AT-2 with a promise of bringing heretofore unimagined lower bass response to a much smaller enclosure.

To bring those who are new to H-PAS up to speed here are a series of informative links that explain some of the concepts involved in the H-PAS process:

How H-PAS Works – A graphic introduction, etc.

AT-1 manual

AT-1 Brochure

AT-1 Tech Tip

AT-1 Sound & Vision Review – October 2010

AT-1 H-PAS Video Tour

In 2009 I was so impressed with the sound produced by the H-PAS prototype that I asked Peter Tribeman, the President of AT, to place me on a waiting list to purchase any eventual product that would ensue – and that product became the AT-1. I envisioned using two AT-1 towers as the basis of a two channel sound system to breathe new life into not only my vinyl collection, but also to listen to 2 channel SACD and other 2 channel sources. AIX records produces DVD-Audio discs with both surround and 2 channel mixes and soon HD media such as Blu-ray music discs will increase the offerings.

During the year that followed CEDIA 2009 my health issues took center stage and I only followed most HT matters in a peripheral fashion. However, even though I had to withdraw from active participation in CEDIA I vowed to passively remain involved especially on three fronts:

1. Windows 7 and Windows Media Center as a whole house solution to CableCard TV distribution – especially the CETON PC Card and all that it promised
  2. H-PAS and Atlantic Technology
  3. 3D implementation

The other two items on my “Top 5” list were either too expensive for me (The Cinepro “Ultimate HT” regardless of cost) or not worthy of an in depth follow-up: Accell’s locking HDMI cable – ingenious and in the “why didn’t anyone think of that before?” category.

The three topics listed above will be the subject of threads that I will be starting in the appropriate sections over the next couple of weeks. This is the H-PAS thread (obviously). The next topic I will tackle is the CETON/CableCard Windows 7 Whole House DVR implementation. That has been a tremendous success as far as I'm concerned. Look for the upcoming discussion in the Hi-Def Source Hardware Section. Back to the topic at hand....

When I first got wind of the AT-1s becoming a realized product I called Peter and asked him where I was in the distribution queue. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I would be receiving the speakers that I ordered around the same time that CEDIA 2010 was taking place 900 miles away from my home. And, in fact, two large and heavy (~80 lbs each) boxes arrived as CEDIA 2010 began. I eagerly unpacked the very sturdy and well-constructed towers and set them up in a two-channel mode using Outlaw Audio’s Retro Receiver as my power and distribution source. I quickly assembled an assortment of two channel source material and connected a SONY turntable to the phono preamp section of the receiver to play vinyl. During the 2009 prototype demo one of my favorite things was to sit in the back of the demo room as Peter demonstrated the H-PAS prototypes for the first time to many varied groups, including both regular show attendees and a wide assortment of industry insiders, critics and writers. The almost universal response when the first really low notes reared their beautiful heads was to look around for the sub-woofer. Of course there wasn’t any – merely the enclosures described in the earlier links that I have provided in this article. It was enjoyable to see some folks insist that what they had heard was physically impossible (that “iron law” of speaker design) and yet, there it was.

Rather than continue to describe what I saw and heard at CEDIA 2009 (and what I know was repeated at CEDIA 2010 with the AT-1s and the AT-2 prototypes) let me stop right here and turn the floor over to HTF members. I now have a fully working set of AT-1s in my living room and have been listening for the past 2.5 weeks on a daily basis. The nature of my illness calls for a lot of rest and there’s nothing better than to have some nice 2 channel music playing in the background as I tend to things. In fact I’m surprised at how often the music goes from being in the background to becoming the focal point of my day as I put down my work, close my eyes and listen to what’s playing. I have rediscovered old friends in my vinyl collection (going back to the first day of Stereo in the mid 50’s). Everything from RCA Dynagroove to Command 35mm originals and even Vox Boxes (anybody remember those?) Yes, vinyl doesn’t have the same dynamic range as today’s digital sources and that’s apparent at the low and the high ends but what it does have is extremely smooth and infinitely continuous. This results in the “presence” of sound that some vinyl heads espouse (no, I don’t wish to open up the vinyl/digital wars again thank you. I’m just stating what I’m hearing).

And what I’m hearing is definitely ear opening. The H-PAS system does things that some of my neighbors and friends find hard to believe using “conventional” hi-fi wisdom. 5.25” drivers should not be able to go down that low with such clarify and spot on definition (29Hz at +/-3dB). No, it’s not the ultra-low 12-16 Hz of my sub-woofers in my Home Theater but it does make for some great music where we are talking about tones and not explosions and other sound effects. A place for everything and H-PAS is, I predict, about to carve out its place in the world of music. At a time when miniaturization has led to iPads and iPods and iPhones along with 192 KHz sampling rates (ouch! The inhumanity!) it’s time to reintroduce big sound from (relatively) small packages. And H-PAS can help this become a reality. A central theme of CEDIA 2010 was to get the “younger” generation to start putting away the headphones and listening to music over speakers. When they listen to some of the low sample rate music that sounds “acceptable” over some headphones on quality speakers and compare it with digital songs recorded at higher bit rates they realize what they have been missing. Another theme running through CEDIA 2010 (and through just about every phase of most industries) is the “greening” of America through energy conservation. H-PAS doesn’t use any active amplification and, therefore uses far less energy than a sub-woofer based system. In other words H-PAS is both a low frequency provider and a low energy user – to me a winning combination and one of the major reasons that I consider this technology to be certainly “Best in Show” two years running. I eagerly await 2011 to see how Atlantic Technology fine tunes the AT-2 bookshelf H-PAS unit. I still haven’t figured out how this will be accomplished in an even smaller cubic volume. But I’m still marveling at the AT-1. There’s nobody behind the curtain.

I peeked.

Here’s where we turn it over to you, the HTF membership. I’m sure that some of you are intrigued by the whole concept of H-PAS and that you probably have some questions. Ask away and I’ll try to field them as best as I can. Just be aware that I’m undergoing chemotherapy so that I have good days and not so good days so there will be times when I don’t get back in what some might consider timely fashion. And to those who are wondering what 2 channel sound discussions are doing in what is mostly a 5.1/7.1 configuration area, I have to believe that even theater buffs often still love to listen to pure two channel music. In fact some people who I’ve discussed this with are considering AT-1s for the Left Front and Right Front speakers in a 5 or 7.1 HT system – often with a separate sub woofer. For HT sound they turn the sub woofer on. For two channel sound only the two AT-1s are active. Peter Tribeman points out that with a careful choice of speakers this is feasible. He also mentions that within a short period of time at least five other companies will be introducing H-PAS systems licensed by AT. At this point he’s not at liberty to disclose who they are but I would imagine that Outlaw Audio will be one of the first for obvious reasons.

Ladies and Gents: The ball is in your court….

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can understand the importance of Dr. Fowkes writing an

article about the H-PAS system. We have been going out

to Cedia for the past few years listening to various speakers

from an endless line of manufacturers.

As you walk the trade show floor you see rows upon rows

of speaker manufacturers proudly displaying their product

line. It's amazing to walk by these immensely elaborate

displays of expensive speakers in fancy redwood cabinets.

Then, hidden away in the far side of the showroom floor

you happen upon the Atlantic Technologies booth, enter

their small demo room, and find that you have discovered

speakers that really set themselves apart from everything

you have heard thus far.

For the average consumer that can't afford a Steinway,

the Atlantic Technology H-PAS speakers are the most

impressive that I have heard.

The remarkable aspect of this H-PAS product line is that

you could go with either the floor standing or upcoming

bookshelf speakers (still in prototype) and have similarly

superb sound with very deep bass. While at the Atlantic

Technologies demo room at Cedia they had the new

bookshelf speakers set up next to the floorstanding AT-1s

and I'll be damned if I could tell which one was being used

in the demo.

There is no other speaker system in the market today

that can produce this kind of bass without the aid of
a separate subwoofer. You listen to something like this,

realize how revolutionary it is, and like Dr. Fowkes, you

want to talk about it.

This week I ordered a pair of AT-1s along with matching

center and surround speakers. This will be the first time

I have upgraded my speaker system in 12 years and I am

extremely excited about how much more I am going to
enjoy listening to 2-channel audio for music and 5.1 for

Home Theater.

I'll be posting more thoughts and photos next week after

my AT-1s arrive. In the meantime here are photos taken

at the Atlantic Technology booth of the AT-1s and the

bookshelf speakers. Seriously, you would be hard pressed

to figure out which one was being used in the demo.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
These speakers are ones that you have to be there in the room with them to comprehend what they can do. They can surpass speakers

costing thousands of dollars more. I had basically given up on two channel audio with the advent of surround. I loved the over all

sensation of "being there" that a surround system can produce. When I set down with Ron at CEDIA and listened to this two channel

audio setup it made me remember my days with vinyl records, tubed power and JBL and Altec Lansing speakers. They made me miss

my two channel system.

Thanks for this thread RAF. If anything I want people to know about them and to listen to them the first chance they can.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
What Parker says is right on the mark. This is one of those situations where you have to hear the speakers to appreciate their capabilities. With a proliferation of many different highly capable sub-woofers, the audio portion of the Home Theater Experience has become something that many can experience in their own home. The LFE (Low Frequency Energy) has become an accepted part of watching movies with a very active sound track and we don't even think about how this sound is being produced. The H-PAS system offers an innovative approach to creating very clear low frequencies down to about 29 Hz. Sub-woofers can extend this LFE down to 12-16Hz, which is quite a bit lower than H-PAS. What I'm trying to say is that H-PAS speakers are not meant to replace sub-woofers but to add some very clear sounds that you can hear rather than feel as part of the entire listening experience.

Words cannot convey the actual listening experience. If you, like Parker and myself, remember the days of listening to two channel stereo fondly then H-PAS will stir some pleasant memories. And there are many ways to approach adding H-PAS speakers to your listening environment. I chose to set up a separate two channel system in a room away from the Home Theater. For those interested, I'm driving the speakers with Outlaw's Retro Receiver, the Model RR 2150 which is a perfect fit for me without straining the budget. I'm also using a couple of DVD players for different purposes - First, Sony's SCD XA9000ES SACD/CD player - a two channel SACD player (no longer produced but still great at what it does). I also am using an OPPO DVD player because the Sony doesn't play DVD-A discs. Finally, I'm using a turntable (currently a SONY PS-T2 direct drive unit) temporarily while I wait for one of my pet audio projects to be completed. I have a B&O Beogram 4002 linear turntable currently being rebuilt to original specifications. I'm excited because when the project is completed I will have a turntable that will treat my vinyl very gently and which should produce some very clean and clear sounds. Here are some images of this beautiful unit. I'll report back on this as the project progresses.

Others may not have the space required for two separate listening rooms and they might decide to combine H-PAS with Home theater 5.1 or 7.1 systems. I believe that Ron is going to take that approach, turning on only the Left and Right front speakers (a pair of Atlantic Technology AT-1s) for listening to music and turning on the complete system (including sub-woofer) when using 5.1 sound. I'm curious how this all works out for him. I suspect that he will be very pleased with his HT/H-PAS Hybrid system - Maximum performance with minimal space.

Remember, if you have any questions feel free to ask them here and we will try to draw from our personal experience with H-PAS....

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
On Monday I received my new speaker package

direct from Atlantic Technology. It consisted of the

H-PAS AT-1s for the mains, the 4400 C (THX) center

speaker and a pair of 2400 SR's for surround.

I am going to wait a bit before posting more comments

on my new package as I really want to put these speakers

through their paces first. However, I thought I would share

some pictures of my new AT-1s.

Delivery day. Boxes ready to be dragged up the stairs. Speakers were extremely well packaged,

double-boxed withlots of styrofoam padding.

Take a look at the very small (but powerful) 5 1/4 "

woofer midrange drivers.

Back terminals allow for conventional and Bi-amp connections.

Accessories (including glass top) are well packed in styrofoam.

Cast aluminum feet with spikes are attached to the speaker bottom. There are hardwood floor guards included as well.

A smoked glass top really accents the beauty of these speakers -- not to mention its glossy black finish.

The speaker features a rear cable management system

Out with the old system (featuring Klipsch KSF 10.5 speaker system)

In with the new system (Atlantic Technology HPAS-1, 4400C center channel)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Hey Klipsch 10.5's, haven't seen those referenced in a while. They were my primary home theater speakers in the mid to late 1990's. I remember they were being clearanced out at some website 800.com? or something like that. They are still going strong in my family room where my kids watch their movies. Will be interested in reading your review of the AT's.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
When I purchased my AT 8200e speakers for my Home Theater I was extremely impressed with the build quality of the speakers right down to little details like a piano gloss black finish and smoked glass top inserts. I knew about the quality of Atlantic Technology speaker sound (which is, of course, the reason I became an AT owner) but the little extra cosmetic touches are icing on the cake. And I was pleased to see that this quality extends itself throughout the entire AT line when my AT-1s arrived.

I'll be very interested in what you think of how your new system sounds, both in 5.1 theatrical mode and 2.0 two channel sound. Since you just received the new Moulin Rouge Blu-ray disc (one of both mine and your personal favorite soundtracks) I'm interested in your thoughts regarding how this title sounds (mine will arrive this weekend). I'm assuming that Fox took care to present the soundtrack of this musical in the highest resolution sound. I see that the specs list DTS Surround sound.

Welcome to the club (both H-PAS and AT).

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I have not heard these, but I heard from all of you raving about them after the 2009 CEDIA EXPO. I just got an email 2 days ago from an installer friend of mine:

So I purchased a demo pair of AT-1’s. These things play ridiculously low with plenty of output. It is really astonishing to look at 2 little 5.25” speakers in these towers and listen the amount of low, full, clean bass! The dialog is still clear and right up front, yet they are shaking my house, literally. So strange. I can’t wait to hear some of the new bookshelf and in-wall/ceiling speakers that will be coming.

Like RAF I have an 8200e system in my theater. The build and sound quality are fantastic, and while they weren't inexpensive they were an outstanding value.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got a few questions, out of curiosity, having recently done the listening and shopping and buying thing, myself.

Glancing at the S&V review, I see these are $2500/pair speakers. What's the practical benefit compared to, say, $1500/pair speakers and a $1000 dedicated subwoofer? (Or whatever cost balance one prefers.) I'm not a 2-channel listener, so perhaps the answer is implicit in that class of listening. I'm so locked into the 5.1 worldview, and the "bass-assist" towers I demo'd were so poor, that I don't understand why one would buy these class of speakers.

The next two questions are pedantically nitpicky

Another theme running through CEDIA 2010 (and through just about every phase of most industries) is the “greening” of America through energy conservation. H-PAS doesn’t use any active amplification and, therefore uses far less energy than a sub-woofer based system. In other words H-PAS is both a low frequency provider and a low energy user [...]
Power is power, whether it comes from a sub's integrated amp, an AVR receiver, or monoblocks. Are you saying these speakers are a more energy-efficient at bass reproduction than a typical dedicated sub?

Also, what of driving these speakers with an AVR? One of the reasons to have a sub with dedicated amp is to not overload a typical consumer receiver with the power requirements of good bass. Do these overcome that, or do you need a beefy AVR or dedicated amp?

Thanks! Quite interesting speakers, even if I don't "get" them.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
DaveF,

I'll get the ball rolling by starting to try to answer some of the questions you raised.

I see these are $2500/pair speakers. What's the practical benefit compared to, say, $1500/pair speakers and a $1000 dedicated subwoofer? (Or whatever cost balance one prefers.) I'm not a 2-channel listener, so perhaps the answer is implicit in that class of listening. I'm so locked into the 5.1 worldview, and the "bass-assist" towers I demo'd were so poor, that I don't understand why one would buy these class of speakers.

Good question. The H-PAS speakers are an answer for those who like to listen to 2 channel music and are severely limited in the space available in which to place speakers. Obviously, two speakers will take up a lot less space than two speakers and a subwoofer (assuming that you want full-range sound) so the AT-1s offers an interesting option - one that will become even more interesting when the bookshelf version debuts next year (based on what others were reporting from the show floor at CEDIA 2010). Most people don't have space limitations when it comes to speakers - especially since one can tuck a subwoofer somewhere in a room so the 2.1, 5.1 and 7.1 options are more appealing for general applications. $2500 can get you a nice sounding system with a subwoofer for general listening. Also, the subwoofer will generally go much lower than the H-PAS system which is clean down to about 29Hz. To me the appeal of H-PAS was the wow factor of getting such low end performance from 5.25" drivers and no active amplification - other than the amplification provided by even a modest amplifier. And we are just seeing the early application of the H-PAS technology. I'm fairly certain that there will be even more refinement of the system as time goes by.

Power is power, whether it comes from a sub's integrated amp, an AVR receiver, or monoblocks. Are you saying these speakers are a more energy-efficient at bass reproduction than a typical dedicated sub?

Absolutely! The amazing thing about the H-PAS system is that it is entirely passive within the box and, as I stated before, powered by even a modest external receiver or amplifier output. It cascades a number of speaker design elements including bass reflex, acoustic suspension, inverse horn and transmission line technologies within the otherwise empty cabinet in such a carefully calculated way as to create clean low frequency sound without any active electronic elements. The general feeling - before one hears the results - is to think, "that just can't be happening" but it does happen! The amount of power required to effect this change is minimal and comes from the incoming sound waves themselves with no additional amplification applied. That's why low sampling rates for the low frequencies (you mentioned connecting an iPod to an SVS subwoofer) can sound quite impressive. With H-PAS it works even without additional amplification. This is truly a "green-friendly" device.

I realize that my answer probably poses more questions than it answers but that's my intention here - to get us to start thinking and talking about a new approach to speaker design that will provide new ways to look at sound reproduction. When something comes along that doesn't seem possible - but it is - then that's worth investigating. And when it's good for the environment as well then it's going to turn some heads.

One other thing came to mind as I was formulating my answer to your questions. Remember, we are talking about a system with a tweeter and two "mid-range" 5.25" speakers that reproduce all the other sounds down to a clean 29 Hz (so "mid-range" is a misnomer) in contrast to a speaker system coupled to a separate subwoofer to do the same thing. With a separate subwoofer you must consider the effects - both good and bad - of designing a proper crossover to couple all the speakers together. With the 5.25" speakers handling both the mid and low range frequencies there is no crossover at all and the resulting sound will be continuous and pure all the way down to 29Hz. True, the subwoofer will go lower but the crossover will introduce some sonic interactions that must be dealt with and no crossover is 100% effective in doing this. No crossover - no problem in this important area. Something else to think about.

I hope that some of this makes sense to you. I would love to be able to see the Atlantic Technology labs where all of this was worked out with countless computer models and simulations in the design phase of the H-PAS project. In fact, now that I think of it - Atlantic Technology seems to be one of the few speaker companies currently focusing on new designs that can make a difference in the way a lot of us will be listening to music. That's why we gave the H-PAS technology a "best in show" designation at recent CEDIAs.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dave:

Instead of having to use power to drive the motor for the bass the bass is provided by the design of the cabinet. It uses less power to produce the same frequency

response that a decent 3 way speaker would require. Each speaker that you have in your system would require a lot less power to drive them over all.

The effect of all of this is that in a 5.1 system you get a level of bass response that surrounds you instead of coming from just one point in the room. If you like a 5.1 sound (I personally love a good DTS MA or DD TrueHD recording) then the sound field you have put yourself into has just been elevated to the next level.

As I said above, they are something that has to be heard to be appreciated.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I concur with Parker, Dave.

"Logic" seems to indicate that what the H-PAS system is doing isn't possible. And yet, there it is. When you hear it you ask yourself - "How is this possible?" I heard it in 2009 at CEDIA (and now am hearing it in my own home). Parker heard it in both 2009 and 2010. What I'm really interested in hearing is the bookshelf version of the H-PAS system. Ron and Parker thought it sounded great. Peter Tribeman wants to tweak the bookshelf version some more before releasing the final version.

Just as one begins to accept the fact that the passive part of the H-PAS tower is able to create low frequency sounds via cascaded technologies via the baffling, etc. they take away the passive part of the tower - and you still get low frequencies?!?

How do they do that?!?

Baffling. (No pun intended).

ralphPerez

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, dumb question what does this speakers set you back???? is it $2,500 or did I missed the price while reading this thread,

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Sorry. I thought I had mentioned this somewhere in this thread but if I did it's probably buried. The AT-1s list for $2500 a pair.

I want to emphasize that these speakers are not for everyone especially since you are talking about a 2.0 system (that thinks that it's a 2.1 system). The average HT person would be more interested in getting a 5 or 7.1 system for HT use. I'm using my AT-1's for some serious two channel listening in a separate room - mostly for listening to vinyl, where they really shine - especially now that I've resurrected and refurbished my B&O Beogram 4002 turntable thanks to Peter Ledermann and company at Soundsmith which is up the road from me! The AT'1s are also something that might be of interest to people with limited space but I think that Parker will attest to the fact that the Prototype BOOKSHELF versions of the AT-1s that he and Ron heard at CEDIA 2010 in Atlanta might be the format that really attracts a broader audience. To get such clear sound from two smallish speakers (including some impressive CLEAR bass) sets the standard in bookshelf speakers. While I don't know what the list price of the AT-1 bookshelf speakers will be, I assume it will be less than the price of the floor standing model.

I hope that this helps. I have to repeat what others have said here - you have to hear these things to really get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks