What's new

H/K DPR 1001 Problem? (1 Viewer)

JessPrice

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the H/K DPR 1001 for my Axiom M80ti's. I am not real happy with the reciever, hopefully I can get some help here. When I am playing a CD on my pioneer 563a and if I turn the volume past -20dB, I usually hear a cracking, distorted noise, usually in the high volumes. When I am watching movies, anything above -10dB I hear the same thing. I don't have any "loud" settings on and I set the M80ti to LARGE because I do not have a sub. Any suggestions on what I can do?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What you are hearing is distortion, or clipping, and you are very much at risk of damaging your speakers. This receiver cannot adequately power those speakers whenever you hear this noise. A powered sub will help, but may not completely solve the problem, as the receiver is struggling to reproduce low bass with the speakers set to large. Start with a sub, and if the problem continues, your choices are pretty much add an amp for the mains (if it has preamp outs) or get a new receiver.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
That is very wierd. Harman/Kardon has some of the best AMPS around especially comparing lower-ends. If you have some other speakers check it out, if it does the same thing and those speakers don't require the same power then just call HK and get it fixed, they are really good fixing problems without questions. If you find out it is the problem, then a strong reciever would be in order, or a powered sub if you don't have one already.

JessPrice

Stunt Coordinator
The thing is I had already powered the Axiom M80ti's with a cheaper reciever with much better results. I had previously used the pioneer's digital reciever which is about $250 or so at best buy. I thought the H/K would be a step up, however I think it might be because the Axioms are 4 ohm and this H/K can't handle that load as well. I will contact H/K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks