What's new

H/K 525 - how long to pick up a digital source? (1 Viewer)

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering the H/K 525 as a replacement for my Yamaha 596 receiver.

I tried a few receivers last year, but was not thrilled with any. One of the problems was with a Marantz receiver that took about 2 seconds to pick up on a digital signal.

How quick does the H/K pick up the digital signal from DVDs and CDs?

The biggest DVD that was a problem was Shrek. All the menus were ruined and the first couple seconds of the "Dance Party" after the movie concluded was missing. Will this be a problem with the H/K?

Please let me know! Thanks!

Jason Bosch

Agent
In my experience with that reciever it is also a problem with the HK I had 1 for about 15 days until that constant delay in digital switching drove me nuts. It took it 2 secs or so every time it changed like from the menu to starting the movie... very irritating IMO. Hope that helps.

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply.... Thats what I was afraid of.

Is there any way around this problem or is it just the way it is with the H/K 525?

Any other opinions on this? I was considering buying the receiver this afternoon, but now I am unsure. The pauses just drive me nuts. My Yamaha right now has a ever so slight delay. During the 5 channel identification on AVIA, the "Front right, center..." Comes out as "....nt Right, Center". On the Marantz receiver I had last year, it came out as "...........enter".

I am surprised this dosn't bother more people.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Thats dissapointing. I was considering eventually getting a H/K reciever to replace my Sony HTIB reciever, which picks up a digital source without a noticable delay.

Mark

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
Can those of you who have used the H/K 525 let me know just how bad the problem is.... such as:

1. On DVDs, Does the problem just happen when you go from one source type to another (such as 2 channel DVD menu to 5.1 DVD movie) or any time a selection is made (if the DVD has menus with sound, does the sound drop out between each selection... i.e. select audio menu (dropout), select 5.1 (dropout), select main menu (dropout), select start movie (dropout).

2. Is these a dropout at a DVD layer switch?

Sorry for all the questions, but I hope to make a decision on the receiver soon. Thanks!

Jason Bosch

Agent
Here is a little more in depth response on this problem from my experience. It will have a small gap when you first insert a dvd and the menu is coming up. It will be changing to Pro Logic 2 or Logic 7 or DTS Neo 6... whichever you have that input set on. That's the good thing about that reciever is it remembers all settings for different inputs. Once you start a DVD if it has to switch to Dolby Digital or DTS or what have you it will give you silence for between 2-5 seconds while it is switching from DPLII to DD or DTS. When you pause and resume there is no waiting because it is already locked on. Overall however beyond that which cut to my last nerve, it's a very nice sounding and dynamic reciever. The only other thing I hated was when you had it cranked up watching a loud scene the fan would kick on and it was to my ears quite loud. Also I found it a tad difficlt to set up properly with my speakers. Could of just been me though. Anyways if that digial switching delay doesn't sound too bad, you might want to give it a try. I imagine what bothers me alot, other people may find acceptable. Just for comparision purposes I took that back for a Yamaha RX-V1300. It doesn't have any of the above problems. It switches between digital sources and it's DSP modes nearly instantly. However I also took it back because the sound would get really harsh and fatiguing at moderatly high levels. Also a non issue if your not like me and like certain movies very loud. My next reciever is going to be the Denon AVR-4802R. Hopefully I'll have better luck there. I hope this helps you in your decision.

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
Jason -

Thank you very much for your help. I may try it anyway and see if I can deal with it. If not, I'll return it.

I see you are just as picky as I am. I tried 3 receivers last year and returned them all for various annoyances.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks