What's new

H/K 520 shutting down!!! (1 Viewer)

DonJ

Second Unit
Hey people I used to have my H/K 320 shut down on me when ever I turned the light above it on or off. I moved the socket I had it plugged into to one across the room and it has never happened again. This tells me that H/K are very sensitive to power input so I would try moving or getting a voltage regulator. Hope this helps.

Brett_H

Second Unit
All,

Just wanted to add that I've had my 520 for over a month now and have not had any shutdown problems. I'm using the internal amps and my listening has been mostly from low to moderate levels, almost always in some type of surround mode. I'm in an apartment, so I can't comment much on the quality of the wiring.

-Brett.

Dave Jewett

Agent
I had the shutdown problem when I first got my HK 520 and I solved it by getting a Panamax DBS+5 surge protector. The unit used to shut off when my A/C kicked on, but I haven't had a single problem since I got the Panamax.

Dave

Darryl Henley

Auditioning
Hi All,

Add me to the list. I purchased the H/K 520 three weeks ago and am experiencing the shutdown problem. It's a rather strange problem, because it only happens in the morning between 11am and 12noon while watching TV with the volume low. In the evening, I have watched several DVD's and listened to many CD's with the volume quite loud and have not had a problem. I live in an older house near a large manufacturing facility and I suspect an A/C power fluctuation.

Even with this problem, I like this receiver alot and it fits very well with my speakers. But, the question is Should I return the H/K 520 and maybe swap for the H/K 525?

Darryl

Matthew Ar

Auditioning
I'm not sure whether the problem is fixed in the 525 or not. If you got a good deal on the 520 it might be cheapest to buy a power conditioner which seems to have worked for several people

I did talk to a HK tech support and the guy said that he had never heard of any shutdown problem. I told him about this thread and he seemed very interested so I emailed him a link, but I never heard back from him. Shame on HK tech support.

He did say that if it is shutting down it would be covered under warranty. The question is whether some of the units are defective, or whether they all have this behavior. If it's the latter, then there's no point in swapping it for a new unit.

Matt

Jason GT

Second Unit
Just wanted to add my experience with shutdowns.

I have have an HK 320 , so it probably doesn't run as hot as the 52x models. It is in a cool environment (cool basement) and has worked fine when I've pushed it, though I've never pushed it beyond -20 db for any extended periods of time.

However, the first night I had it, it shut down while I was watching a movie. Low volume, too. However I cannot confirm that I didn't press the sleep button (in fact I think I did).

Today, it shut down on me while it was playing radio background music at a low volume. I am CERTAIN this wasn't a sleep button issue. Will update if more crap happens.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Well I've had my AVR 320 since the end of November and it has never shut down. I live in an older house with all kinds of wiring problems. I think my receiver is somehow on the same circuit as the washer and dryer despite being on different ends of the house. When I turn on my receiver the ceiling light flashes, if I turn on a portable heater the lights flicker and get dim. Despite all that my HK has never shut down.

Just letting you know there are happy HK owners!

Jason GT

Second Unit
Actually I'm not unhappy with my HK ... yet :p)

I hope it holds together, after all it sounds pretty good. I've also had a slight problem with center channel configuration, but that seems to have cleared itself up.

Darryl Henley

Auditioning
I did not say I was unhappy with the H/K 520. I, actually, like the receiver alot. I just hope the shutdown problem is not a sign of other problems.

-Darryl

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
I wanted to chime in as an HK 520 owner who has not had any shutdowns that were not the result of having accidentally hit the sleep button. I use the HK remote to control my TV as well and whenever I hit the AVR button to change surround modes or something I will inevitably forget and try to change the channel and put it in sleep mode. I usually catch it now, but missed it a couple times. Even now, though, I'll sometimes look up to see the receiver's display dimmed and I know I've set the sleep timer.
So far I haven't found anything to dislike about this receiver, its worked flawlessly at everything I've tried. :D

Jason GT

Second Unit
John: have your remote learn a "harmless" function for the sleep button.

In my case, I programmed the AVR-mode sleep button to dim the display on my dvd player. This is assuming, of course, that you don't use the sleep function...

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
I had my first occurrence of the shutdown problem, yesterday. It happened at the end of a movie, ie trailer playing, and happened at the exact time when I shut the subwoofer amp off. It was definitely not a thermal shutdown. Was not playing it that loud, and the temp of the unit was below what it has run before. Also, did not have anything to do with hitting the wrong button on remote. It was sitting on the coffee table. It is most likely caused by some switching noise on the AC line or on the sub-out line. As others have said, this has never happened with any other receiver. Don't know why, but this receiver design, must be susceptible to these spikes.

Would add that the house is of newer construction (15yrs old) and have had numerous appliances kick-on/off while the unit was running without the problem. This includes, washer, dryer, furnance, well pump, refrig, stove, vacuum, electric heaters, and microwave.

PS: My 520 is a 9/2002 built unit.

JohnS

Fletcher F

Auditioning
I just talked to H/K tech support. They said they have no reports of the H/K 520 just shutting down. I am taking it to a service center tomorrow. Hope they are able to find the problem. Like many of you, I know I am not hitting the Sleep Timer. I have had it happen with AC filtering and pluged straight into the wall. If any one has taking thier 520 to a service center were they able to correct the shutting down problem? Please post your results. I will re-post with as to if the problem is corrected when I get my unit back and have a few days to do some testing. Thanks for all your post. I'm sorry for everyones problem but I hope, someone will have good news that their service center found the problem. If not, I will let you all know my outcome.

Matthew Ar

Auditioning
I just talked to H/K tech support. They said they have no reports of the H/K 520 just shutting down.
Well, either a) HK tech support is disorganized, or b) they are lying. As I described in a previous post I told an HK tech support person about the shutdowns, and also pointed him to this thread.

I've already returned two 520's because of the shutdown problem, and won't be trying again. However, I would really like to hear an official statmement from HK regarding this, just out of principle.

Matt

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
I submitted an online form report to HK, even though it happened only one time. We'll see what their response is.

I have tried to recreate it, but have been unsuccessful. The sub plate amp is on the same circuit as the receiver, along with everything else in the living room. The reason, I think it was switch noise is that I always turn the the subamp volume to zero, before switching off. It has no appreciable load on the line at that point. If it starts happening more often, I will be very concerned.

Fletcher, I am interested in how you make out. I suspect it is more a design issue, than a faulty part, but I am just guessing. Since mine was near the end of production, would have assumed the faulty parts would have long been purged.

JohnS

Fletcher F

Auditioning
I dropped it off a the service center today. They said they would get to it in a few days. Since it does not shutdown all the time it may take a week or so to for them to get back to me with what, if any thing they find out. I'll keep you posted.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Well, it doesnt seem like all these HK receivers are bad.

I need a new receiver but can buy one myself. My dad doesnt really want to spend $700 for a 525 so I would mind going for a 520.

I just checked etronics and it wasnt there any more. They had it for about $400.

Anyone know a good, reputable place online for a (non-faulty) 520?

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
Well, again I'll assert that I've had a 520 since the beginning of January, used everyday, and it is not shut down once on its own (I've mistakenly put the sleep timer on and failed to catch it once). Purchased at JandR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks