What's new

Gypsy with Imelda Staunton On Blu-Ray From Shout Factory (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Per Playbill 4 Broadway based shows will be released on blu ray in November from Shout Factory.

http://www.playbill.com/article/imelda-staunton-gypsy-among-musicals-being-released-on-blu-ray

Two are concert versions of musicals. One is a TV movie based on a Broadway production.

One is the full London production of the revival of Gypsy that was done in 2015.

Gypsy — 2015 London revival with Imelda Staunton.

Sweeney Todd—2001 San Francisco concert with Patti LuPone, George Hearn and Neil Patrick Harris.

Death of a Salesman—TV movie based on the 1984 Broadway revival starring Dustin Hoffman.

Candide—2004 concert production with Patti LuPone, Kristin Chenoweth and the New York Philharmonic.

The Gypsy revival will also be seen on PBS this season as part of the PBS Arts Festival.

All but this production of Gypsy have been available previously on DVD.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I own the Gypsy CD and will be getting the BD. I don't trust PBS; it cuts programs to fit their time slot. A very reprehensible practice.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The fact that Gypsy was available for streaming only gives me hope that the recent Broadway production of "She Loves Me" also only available for streaming will eventually make its way to blu ray. Hope these new blu rays sell well so that more shows will be available

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I am very excited to be able to own a copy of Imelda Staunton's performance in "Gypsy" (in my opinion one of the truly great Broadway musicals). While we have wonderful musical theatre in Australia nothing matches seeing some of these great performances that it too costly to travel around the world to see. I personally wish that many more shows would be legitimately available to purchase and revisit over the years.
The production of "Sweeney Todd" that is being released the same day is outstanding- Patti Lu Pone and George Hearn give thrilling performances.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I am very excited to be able to own a copy of Imelda Staunton's performance in "Gypsy" (in my opinion one of the truly great Broadway musicals). While we have wonderful musical theatre in Australia nothing matches seeing some of these great performances that it too costly to travel around the world to see. I personally wish that many more shows would be legitimately available to purchase and revisit over the years.
The production of "Sweeney Todd" that is being released the same day is outstanding- Patti Lu Pone and George Hearn give thrilling performances.

Will you be attending the new production of My Fair Lady directed by Julie Andrews?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81Tpl7pCiiL._SX522_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Will you be attending the new production of My Fair Lady directed by Julie Andrews?
Kevin we have tickets to see "My Fair Lady" both early in the season and again on the second last weekend. The cast that has been assembled is outstanding and hopefully under Ms. Andrews direction we should have a great night at the theatre. We have seen several of these co-productions between Opera Australia and a commercial producer; "South Pacific" (the Lincoln Centre production) was brilliant while the other two were very enjoyable.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Kevin we have tickets to see "My Fair Lady" both early in the season and again on the second last weekend. The cast that has been assembled is outstanding and hopefully under Ms. Andrews direction we should have a great night at the theatre. We have seen several of these co-productions between Opera Australia and a commercial producer; "South Pacific" (the Lincoln Centre production) was brilliant while the other two were very enjoyable.

Exciting! You must let us know how it is!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The are recreating as best they can the original costumes and staging for the revival of "My Fair Lady" Here is a promotion film from several months ago.

An excerpt from a TV special called the Fabulous 50's from January 1960.

"Show Me"

Last edited:

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
The fact that Gypsy was available for streaming only gives me hope that the recent Broadway production of "She Loves Me" also only available for streaming will eventually make its way to blu ray. Hope these new blu rays sell well so that more shows will be available

The difference being that GYPSY, filmed for broadcast on the BBC, was always intended for a home video release (although initially it was announced as being on DVD). SHE LOVES ME, which was a product of the BroadwayHD streaming service, was not. A home video release wouldn't fit BroadwayHD's business model, since they really want you to subscribe to their service.

The situation is really not all that different from the National Theater Live theatrical broadcasts. The Globe & the RSC frequently release their productions on disc, but National Theater steadfastly refuses to do so. Instead, they trot them out for the occasional "Encore" broadcast. (They're doing the umpteenth screening of the Danny Boyle FRANKENSTEIN with Benedict Cumberbatch & Jonny Lee Miller again this fall, as well as re-showing THE AUDIENCE starring Helen Mirren and the Cumberbatch HAMLET.)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Imelda Staunton was the perfect blend of endearing and frightening as Mama Rose. Seriously, Gypsy is one of my favorite musicals and I've never seen anyone own the role like she did. (Also, for you Doctor Who fans, PETER DAVISON!!!)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That just leaves Bette Midler's version Gypsy from 1993* without a Blu-ray. That was shot in 35mm and released in theaters overseas, so there should be a suitable source for an HD master**

*Like fellow ex-Rose Angela Lansbury, she did it after playing a witch for Disney.

**Hopefully Hallmark didn't make the same mistake with the film elements of the RHI library as they did with their Filmation negatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks