What's new

GWTW and Wizard of OZ again in 2013 (1 Viewer)

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Andrew Budgell said:
So we know "The Wizard of Oz" will be 3D, but I wonder what they're doing to "Gone with the Wind" to make it worth buying again?
The restored Raintree County as a companion film, complete with extras? ;) I wouldn't mind an isolate score track, if the elements exist to create one. I'd also love to see Paulette Goddard's screen test in its entirety.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Escapay said:
The restored Raintree County as a companion film, complete with extras? ;) I wouldn't mind an isolate score track, if the elements exist to create one. I'd also love to see Paulette Goddard's screen test in its entirety.
The isolated score track was released on the CAV laserdisc box set, and most of it was released on a Rhino soundtrack, so it definitely exists. I would like to see ALL the screen tests in their entirety.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Rob_Ray said:
The isolated score track was released on the CAV laserdisc box set, and most of it was released on a Rhino soundtrack, so it definitely exists.
Awesome! I wonder why it didn't make it to the DVD or Blu-Ray. And ditto to all the screen tests. I'm most interested in Goddard's mainly because I've been going through some of her films recently (and I still need to purchase the recently-released Diary of a Chambermaid) and wanting to see more of her. :)

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Brandon Conway said:
Well, maybe they are gonna get the 3D release out at around the same time as Oz the Great and Powerful debuts on BD/DVD.
Possibly, but you're not going to get the same blaze of publicity for the home release of OTGAP as the theatrical release. The home market is still very much an afterthought for the industry (if only by force of habit) - the advertising bucks all go to the theatrical run. Hopefully this shows WB is taking care and attention prepping a 3D edition of Wizard of Oz. They could just as easily have rushed the job to catch collateral publicity from OTGAP.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Escapay said:
Awesome! I wonder why it didn't make it to the DVD or Blu-Ray.
Actually, the existence of that Rhino soundtrack album may be the reason why Warner may have been prohibited from releasing an isolated score track on DVD or BluRay.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Mark Oates said:
Hopefully this shows WB is taking care and attention prepping a 3D edition of Wizard of Oz. They could just as easily have rushed the job to catch collateral publicity from OTGAP.
Then again, Warner could have been just ostrich-spooked after the big flapup about Disney and Fox cancelling Little Mermaid and Episode 2's 3-D theatrical runs, and thought the "gold rush" was immediately over.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Escapay
I'm most interested in Goddard's mainly because I've been going through some of her films recently (and I still need to purchase the recently-released Diary of a Chambermaid) and wanting to see more of her.
She's amazing, IMO

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Since finding out that The Wizard of Oz is due to be re-released this year I have put off upgrading to Blu-ray. I instinctively dislike the idea of meddling with a film of this pedigree but I have a hunch it will look very good in 3-D.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
I instinctively dislike the idea of meddling with a film of this pedigree but I have a hunch it will look very good in 3-D.

And if not, you have the 2D Blu-ray in the set as well.
Personally, I think it was a great idea to convert this film to 3D. I see no harm as long as the original untouched version is made available as well.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
That is my question, Steven. If it's the same, I will probably just pick up the single disc version at some point.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The Wizard of Oz in 3-D? They should add some digital imagery to the sides to fill up the screen to 1.78:1 while they're at it! :P

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Hey, Ray.....i was wondering when someone was going to think that way....!!! Can you just see it?....widescreen of THE MAGNIFICANT AMBERSON with added screen-side material and digital replacement of the missing scenes; GONE WITH THE WIND...this time not chopped....BUT THE EXTENDED SCREEN!!! Kind of reverse pan and scan....ok, time for someone to think a name for this process....how about DWSE (DIGITAL WIDE SCREEN ENHANSEMENT)? :D And think of the classic annimation that could be imporoved in widescreen!....GULIVERS TRAVELS, PETER PAN, POPEYE, the SILLY SYMPHONYS...oh the mind reels!!....HEY how about digitally inserting the JITTERBUG number based on the home video movies that were taken at the time....into OZ!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Keith Cobby said:
Since finding out that The Wizard of Oz is due to be re-released this year I have put off upgrading to Blu-ray. I instinctively dislike the idea of meddling with a film of this pedigree but I have a hunch it will look very good in 3-D.
Same here. Was really hitting myself over the head when Wally world had them in a set on blu for $20. Now I'm glad I missed that. The DVDs will do until these version come out and are given a thumbs up.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Ray H said:
The Wizard of Oz in 3-D? They should add some digital imagery to the sides to fill up the screen to 1.78:1 while they're at it! :P
Yes, why not have flying monkees coming out of the screen for a 3D effect. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks