What's new

GWTW and Wizard of OZ again in 2013 (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I saw a beautiful dye transfer print of Oz a few years ago. It looked more 3-D than any conversion. Why not just put it out as a 4K remaster like Lawrence of Arabia? Converting to 3-D will absolutely add nothing and will just scare off people from seeing it since it'll be $15 a ticket.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Patrick McCart said:
I saw a beautiful dye transfer print of Oz a few years ago. It looked more 3-D than any conversion. Why not just put it out as a 4K remaster like Lawrence of Arabia? Converting to 3-D will absolutely add nothing and will just scare off people from seeing it since it'll be $15 a ticket.
I think a 3d conversion will add a bit more depth than dye transfer techniques...

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Moe Dickstein said:
So sorry to hear you're being forced to watch this travesty... Wait, you're not!
Since when is not being forced to witness it a reasonable rationale for the alteration of classic artworks?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Doctorossi said:
Since when is not being forced to witness it a reasonable rationale for the alteration of classic artworks?
So long as the classic art is being preserved properly alongside a new version, what's the problem?

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Moe Dickstein said:
So long as the classic art is being preserved properly alongside a new version, what's the problem?
The problem is that, in this era of original sound mixes being left off of discs in favor of modern multichannel remixes, we don't know for certain that it is going to be preserved properly.
This release will surely contain the 2D original, but if the 3D adulteration becomes popular, can we be certain that the next re-release will contain it?
I fought through colorization.
I fought through pan-and-scan.
I'm currently struggling against overzealous grain removal and the apparent need for every movie ever released to have a 5.1 track.
Why must we keep sidetracking our efforts, attention and budgets by molesting older art? Let it be what it is.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/322693/gwtw-and-wizard-of-oz-again-in-2013/180#post_3985102
I'm currently struggling against overzealous grain removal and the apparent need for every movie ever released to have a 5.1 track.

Yeah it's about time they re-mixed them all in 7.1 too.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I disagree, because sometimes these things can introduce a film to a new audience. Personally I have no interest in seeing Oz again, but I would go see a 3D version of it.
I am also not against colorization - in it's current refined form, where you also present a B&W option, ala the Legend releases.
If anything a successful 3D release of Oz would bring more funds and interest to older catalog titles.
Pan and Scan is a different beast, and nobody is taking your lollipop away. The slippery slope argument is not one I subscribe to, but the people who insisted on fighting the Vietnam War did...

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Moe Dickstein said:
I disagree, because sometimes these things can introduce a film to a new audience.
Well, of course, if there was no benefit at all, we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place. The question is, do you want a new audience to know that art as the artists who created it intended or do you want them to know it as someone else re-designed it. I really don't see any benefit to the latter- that's not The Wizard of Oz, that's something else.
Moe Dickstein said:
If anything a successful 3D release of Oz would bring more funds and interest to older catalog titles.
You could also, presumably, make some money by showing a print of Transformers and just calling it The Wizard of Oz, but squeezing out some more money at any price is not necessarily the best move, regardless of what "good" can be done with that money.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
No criticism intended, Moe, but no interest in seeing Oz again? I can't imagine not watching Oz again. Or any other movie for that matter. Even if I have a gut reaction against a movie, I'll go back to it to give it a fair chance or confirm my initial reaction. I always say watch a movie once for the story and once to enjoy it. Some movies I'll go back to a hundred times. Oz is one of them. I'll be there for the 3D, and probably for the future 4K and whatever else they'll come up with to enhance the viewing experience.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Mark Oates said:
No criticism intended, Moe, but no interest in seeing Oz again? I can't imagine not watching Oz again. Or any other movie for that matter.
Well I'm an unusual case here. I never once saw Oz as a child - my mother for some reason HATES the film and so while we watched many many films that was not one of them. It's like why I don't really care much about Star Wars either, I think those are movies that work on you in terms of creating a fondness when you are young.
So I'm 32 now and I've seen Oz maybe twice, that's enough for me, but I'd be interested to see how it worked in 3D, especially if they leave the B&W 2D, how can anyone say that doesn't enhance the idea of "going to Oz".
And right now I have a few hundred DVDs and BDs of things that I either want to see or thought I might want to see - I'm also building a complete Criterion set so there's lots there I haven't seen yet, so I'd rather watch one of those than a film I've already seen and wasn't super into.
Now GWTW, I've seen that dozens of times and purchased almost as many times. I'd be drooling to see that in 3D - because it's a way to have a NEW experience with a familliar film.
I know it's different to use Titanic as an example since Cameron himself endorsed and supervised the conversion, but that was pretty amazing to have that new experience with a film that I know like the back of my hand. Now that I have the BD, I can see myself watching the 3D probably half the time and the 2.4 ratio 2D version the rest of the time.
I'm in favor of stuff like this, and while I get why people would not want to go SEE a conversion, it irritates me that they should feel it's their right to say that nobody should see it.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Well, for me, it's a simple choice.
I just got Oz and GWTW in the UCEs a year ago for my birthday. Add to that that I do not have a 3D home theater setup and you can see two strikes against the rebuy. That being said IF WB can do something new in the extras department for both movies, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt on them.
So, for me, it's a leaning no, but depending on bells and whistles, I could be persuaded. But it's a very big if right now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bob, Haven't heard any updates recently, but based on past conversations and what was brought out at the 90th Anniversary press event last year, the set is on track for release this year. I would estimate it will be a 4th quarter release.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
So we know "The Wizard of Oz" will be 3D, but I wonder what they're doing to "Gone with the Wind" to make it worth buying again? Perhaps including some of the deleted scenes/outtakes that are known to be in the hands of a collector?

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised Warner Bros didn't have some high profile re-release campaign for Oz in the light of Disney's effort (Accept No Substitutes...)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Mark Oates
I'm surprised Warner Bros didn't have some high profile re-release campaign for Oz in the light of Disney's effort (Accept No Substitutes...)
Well, maybe they are gonna get the 3D release out at around the same time as Oz the Great and Powerful debuts on BD/DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks