What's new

GWTW and Wizard of OZ again in 2013 (1 Viewer)

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Unlike the skeptics of this thread, I'm actually looking forward to seeing the results of the Wizard of Oz 3D project...people are forgetting that Ned Price and George Feltenstein have proven track records in respectfully preserving the classic MGM catalog and won't allow the gimmickry aspects of 3D to run rampant on this movie. Besides, you still have a universally-praised 2D restoration of this already out there and readily available...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung /t/322693/gwtw-and-wizard-of-oz-again-in-2013/180#post_3984167
people are forgetting that Ned Price and George Feltenstein have proven track records in respectfully preserving the classic MGM catalog and won't allow the gimmickry aspects of 3D to run rampant on this movie. Besides, you still have a universally-praised 2D restoration of this already out there and readily available...

I would argue that people actually enjoy the so called 3D gimmicks, the in your face approach, if it's just depth then 3D will once again go the way of the dodo, that doesn't mean i am saying the entire film needs to have things popping out of the screen but i expect moments of that within a film's running time or it doesn't work for me and i'd choose the 2D version.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have yet to see an up converted film that
offers a convincing pop-out effect.
I am uncertain if it's an impossibility to take
2D elements and be able to do a pop-out with
it or not. My guess it can only be done shot
natively but I am the farthest thing from an
expert on this subject as you can get.
With all that in mind I would love to see some
pop-out effects in Oz

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I think it's obvious that they're hoping that the "evergreen " home video sales power of The Wizard of Oz will help move 3D TVs, players and - most promising - catalog shot-in-3D titles. Kinda like how remakes can help get the classic version out on video (see the Blu-ray for the original The Day the Earth Stood Still as one example).

If converting TWOZ to 3D helps bring more classic shot-3D to the market, bring it on I say!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein /t/322693/gwtw-and-wizard-of-oz-again-in-2013/180#post_3984242
Ron,
With all due respect, you'd love to see pop out effects in "My Dinner With Andre"
Having just seen the movie...I don't know what 3D would bring to the entire endeavor. Maybe pop out Wallace Shawn's ears?

I'd prefer smell-o-vision for the food...

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I hope this works so they will do Gone With The Wind next. Imagine how amazing that long high shot of Scarlet walking through the wounded soldiers and ending on the flag would be in 3D!

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Brandon Conway said:
...Kinda like how remakes can help get the classic version out on video (see the Blu-ray for the original The Day the Earth Stood Still as one example)...
Then you have the best case scenario: Yellow Submarine, where the rumored remake spawns a restoration of the original, and then the wretched, ill-conceived remake dies on the vine! :D

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
I think they should issue an all black and white and silent version of the 1939 OZ and pitch it to the "Goth" market. Think of the money!!!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
ajabrams said:
I think they should issue an all black and white and silent version of the 1939 OZ and pitch it to the "Goth" market. Think of the money!!!
That's easy to do, hit mute and dial your color down lol

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Will this have a limited run in the theaters? I'd love to see this in 3D but I don't have a 3D ht system. Also, on 10/10 my Cinemark is playing GWTW and I'm thinking of going to see it. Does anyone know if the theater just shows the BR or do they actually show a film print? Same question about the upcoming Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein theater showings as well. Thanks.
Edit: I might be answering my own question but I looked this up and it says "Digital Cinema" so I guess it's from a BR?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/322693/gwtw-and-wizard-of-oz-again-in-2013/180#post_3984177I have yet to see an up converted film that
offers a convincing pop-out effect.
I am uncertain if it's an impossibility to take
2D elements and be able to do a pop-out with
it or not. My guess it can only be done shot
natively but I am the farthest thing from an
expert on this subject as you can get.
With all that in mind I would love to see some
pop-out effects in Oz
The one that came the closest for me was when Captain America slung his shield into the camera in his movie. It felt like it was coming right at my head and I winced in my chair.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
OMG! I never would have thought in a million years we'd get another release of "The Wizard of Oz" or "Gone With The Wind"!!!! Never in a million years!!!! You can't image my surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung /t/322693/gwtw-and-wizard-of-oz-again-in-2013/180#post_3984167
Unlike the skeptics of this thread, I'm actually looking forward to seeing the results of the Wizard of Oz 3D project...people are forgetting that Ned Price and George Feltenstein have proven track records in respectfully preserving the classic MGM catalog and won't allow the gimmickry aspects of 3D to run rampant on this movie. Besides, you still have a universally-praised 2D restoration of this already out there and readily available...
You may want to wait until the 2019 Release of "The Wizard of OZ" in 3D, by then they should have released a few more versions and all the bugs should be ironed out (so to speak)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein /t/322693/gwtw-and-wizard-of-oz-again-in-2013/180#post_3984242
Ron,
With all due respect, you'd love to see pop out effects in "My Dinner With Andre"

That would KICK ASS!!!!

A nice companion piece for these:

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Is there any truth in this 3-D conversion talk? Has Warner Brothers stated they're converting the films? Or is an unfounded rumor growing legs here? It's hard to believe Warner Brothers wold consider such a thing.
Richard--W said:
Everyone should bear in mind that WHV's transfer of Gone With the Wind has never been right in the first place. It is oversaturated with yellow, flamboyantly so, turning reds to orange etc. They put all this time and money into restoration, scanning and clean-up, then Ned Price comes along with his yellow crayon to twist the pallet. Hopefully a new set of eyes will supervise the new scan and transfer. I'm willing to spend the money again for a properly color-timed Gone With the Wind. The first Blu-ray corrected the problem partially. Now it's time to finish the job. If WHV does it right this time they'll get my money. If they had any decency they'd offer free replacement discs to all the consumers they've ripped off.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Richard,
I can vouch for TWOZ being converted.
Not certain about GWTW, but it seems like it
could get a 3D makeover given the re-release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks