What's new

Gunsmoke Season Two - Volume One (1 Viewer)

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I just saw this posted over at TVshowsOnDVD.com You have got to be kidding me!! They are going to split up the Gunsmoke seasons. They will never get them all out now. It is impossible. I can see maybe, even though I don't like it, spliting up seasons of hour length shows, but half hour, come on that is crazy. This really makes me angry.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
I wonder what it's gonna take for the studios to wake up and realize people hate split season sets. Maybe if people made it a point to boycott them, that would send a message.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I wonder if that's a typo of some sort originating from CBS? Until I see more detailed information, I'm holding out hope for a full season. The release schedule seems to be on the semi-fast track, like Hawaii 5-0 and Mission: Impossible, so it doesn't seem like they would get cold feet at this point.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

People tried the bocott method with "The Big Valley: Season 2, Vol. 1" and all it meant was no more Big Valley on DVD.

changa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
Gunsmoke Season 1 was excellent (39 episodes)
Gunsmoke Season 2 (39 episodes in total)
I won't be buying Volume Sets-Period!
The only time I would buy volume sets would be for CHEYENNE.
Volume Sets, as far as I am concerned,are for die-hard fans-only.
If they want my business,then they should scrap volume sets.
If not ,then they can go to "Boot Hill".

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
(Sigh) Now it's going to cost me twice as much to collect this series. Can't these companies do ANYTHING right? This way they will either make a killing in profit or they will effectively bury the series. Well CBS, you got me by the balls again. It looks like I'll be collecting this any which way I can.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I love Gunsmoke so much that obviously I am going to keep buying the sets, but I just don't understand splitting seasons on 30 minute shows. Can anyone else give me an example of any other 1/2 hour series that this has happened to or is this a very bad precedent.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
If they split seasons, it would be the same amount of material as 10 hour long shows, 4 or 5 shows less than their usual split with hour long shows. I wonder if it'll have any affect on the price, if it'll be the same as their other split seasons; Perry Mason, The Untouchables, Rawhide, The Fugitive.

On Amazon, it's still listed as Gunsmoke: Season 2.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I wonder if somehow this is a mistake, and tvshowsondvd got a bad scoop. Has anyone seen this verified anywhere else. I'm hoping that somehow Gunsmoke got mixed up with another show.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
It seems odd, considering that the SRP of Season 1 was just $39.98, and a half-season would amount to just three discs, unless they padded it out. It wouldn't seem cost-effective to cut it down any lower than that...

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Looks like they're actually going through with it.. it's listed on Amazon at a retail price 2 dollars less than the complete first season.. this for half the material... 3 discs, 526 minutes.

I'd love to hear CBS/Paramount's reasoning for this. I think it's a huge mistake that definitely won't help the sale of the series. Doubtful they'll make it now to season 5 or 6, much less any hour shows. With apparently one season a year now, I'll guess we'll know for sure in 4-6 years..

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
This is horrible news. I will still buy the sets as they come out, but I too believe that with this decision by CBS/Paramount, we will never see all 20 seasons released. We can only hope that they come to their senses after they see the fans negative reactions to this release, and continue with full season sets.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
I hope that this listing is inaccurate and will be amended. If not, it is frigging disgusting and infuriating. I have purchased several hour-long series split into half-seasons, and I try to understand the business models that encourage this practice, but I refuse to accept such a blatant bilking. Though I love Gunsmoke dearly, if this IS true CBS/Paramount can take their episodes and jam 'em.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Well especially since they don't go to the year format until what season 4 isn't it? You're gonna end up paying as much for S2 V1 as you did for S1, I'm not sure how CBS can rationalize this? Certainly Fox has'nt sold anymore Big Valley using this method, where is season 2 of that series BTW. It's really why I'm becoming more of a Fan of Digital Downloads, give me a season pass cheap and keep the seasons coming.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I really don't understand CBS/Paramount's schizophrenic approach to releasing their classic library. Hawaii:5-0, Mission: Impossible and Wild Wild West all get the classy full-season, reasonably-priced treatment, but other series get the slow, pricey half-season releases. Are there two different departments working on these?

This one takes it to the most ridiculous extremes--it's not even a four disc release, after they delivered such a nice product for season one. Maybe the accounting department is holding the dvd packagers hostage?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The Box art and details are on TVSHOWSonDVD site, basically 20 of 39 episodes, for the same price we paid for the entire Season 1. Thanks for Bending me over CBS/Paramount.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I hope this isn't a sign that Gunsmoke: The First Season sold poorly. They didn't seem to move very fast when I saw them in B&M stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks