What's new

Gunsmoke on Encore Westerns Question (1 Viewer)

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
This morning on Gunsmoke currently running on Encore Westerns channel, they skipped over episode #376, "The New Society". I went to the Encore Westerns website and their list of Gunsmoke episodes has episode #376 omitted, too. Can anyone provide information as to what the situation is regarding this episode?

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Wish I knew myself, I noticed it as well. I was starting to think maybe I just missed it but your post clarifies that it wasn't me.

This is the first such episode I've seen skipped since they are started at the beginning of the year. Since the 7:00 pm epiosdes are about 4 weeks behind, it will be interesting to see if it gets skipped again.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by smithb

Wish I knew myself, I noticed it as well. I was starting to think maybe I just missed it but your post clarifies that it wasn't me.

This is the first such episode I've seen skipped since they are started at the beginning of the year. Since the 7:00 pm epiosdes are about 4 weeks behind, it will be interesting to see if it gets skipped again.

I will be watching the 7:00 pm slot as well. The thing that has me most concerned is on the Encore website, they don't list episode #376. The listing shows all the episodes from season 7 thru season 11, omiting #376.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Encore Westerns did show "The New Society" the last time they aired the Gunsmoke hour long package, back in 2002-2005.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
No idea what you guys are talking about. The episode ran Wednesday morning. I just transferred it over to DVD.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Neil Brock
No idea what you guys are talking about. The episode ran Wednesday morning. I just transferred it over to DVD.

Well, my DVR has been set to record any and all Gunsmoke on Encore since it started this year, and this is the first one that didn't record. I'm also setup to record several other shows without a hitch. So something happened. Especially since two of us have reported it as an unusual occurrance. Obviously, you managed to get it so maybe it was isolated to a particular area or source.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris

I have last Wednesday morning (June 16) episode as #374, "Two Tall Men". Thursday morning was episode #375, "Honey Pot", Friday morning was episode #377, "He Who Steals", (skipping over episode #376, "The New Society"). This morning, Monday, began season 11, with episode #378, "Seven Hours to Dawn".

Based on the episode numbering, there was one episode that was left out. The Encore website listing all of the Gunsmoke episodes from season 7 through season 11, omits episode #376, "The New Society." After watching the episodes that were shown, the episode titles seem to fit the episodes that were shown as I listed above, with the exception of "The New Society". None of the episodes fit that episode title.

For what it's worth, my satellite provider info (which can sometimes be wrong) also matched the above lists. I believe the episode, "The New Society", was skipped over.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
All of the on-line episode guides list James Gregory as the lead guest star in The New Society and that is who is in the credits of the episode that I taped on Wednesday morning. The one that I haven't been able to match up to the guest cast is He Who Steals. Unless the episode guides are wrong and James Gregory is in a different episode.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris

All of the on-line episode guides list James Gregory as the lead guest star in The New Society and that is who is in the credits of the episode that I taped on Wednesday morning. The one that I haven't been able to match up to the guest cast is He Who Steals. Unless the episode guides are wrong and James Gregory is in a different episode.

Thanks for your clarification, Danny, I believe you have it correct. What apparently happened is episode #374, "Two Tall Men", and episode #376, "The New Society", had their running order switched with each other. Episode #377, "He Who Steals", did not run, at least yet.

I will have to watch the 7:00 pm time slot. Maybe everything will get straightened out by the time these episodes run again. Meanwhile, on to season 11.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by ChrisALM:
Thanks for your clarification, Danny, I believe you have it correct. What apparently happened is episode #374, "Two Tall Men", and episode #376, "The New Society", had their running order switched with each other. Episode #377, "He Who Steals", did not run, at least yet.

I will have to watch the 7:00 pm time slot. Maybe everything will get straightened out by the time these episodes run again. Meanwhile, on to season 11.

Encore Westerns confused these two episodes the last time they showed Gunsmoke. The episode description would be for "Two Tall Men" and "The New Society" would run, and vice versa. These two episodes are mixed up in their numbering. This has happened to Gunsmoke on DVD too; season 2's "How to Cure a Friend" is mixed up with season 4's "How to Kill a Friend." Apparently with so many episodes, it's hard keeping track!

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris

Encore Westerns confused these two episodes the last time they showed Gunsmoke. The episode description would be for "Two Tall Men" and "The New Society" would run, and vice versa. These two episodes are mixed up in their numbering. This has happened to Gunsmoke on DVD too; season 2's "How to Cure a Friend" is mixed up with season 4's "How to Kill a Friend." Apparently with so many episodes, it's hard keeping track!

One of the things that is great about the earlier Gunsmoke seasons is the large number of episodes per season.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Well now that it has been figured out that:

- "New Society" ran when "Two Tall Men" was listed, and

- "Two Tall Men" ran when "He Who Steals" was listed, and

- "He Who Steals" got skipped.

In the 7:00 am time slot.

Now we not have to wait and see if we will ever get "He Who Steals" in the 7:00 pm time slot this week. Somehow I think we are just going to get more of the same.

Updated:

I see on my cable that Gunsmoke is also on TVLand, Retro, and PLEXe; so maybe I can pick it up there if it is truly missing from the Encore Western lineup.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by smithb

Well now that it has been figured out that:

- "New Society" ran when "Two Tall Men" was listed, and

- "Two Tall Men" ran when "He Who Steals" was listed, and

- "He Who Steals" got skipped.

In the 7:00 am time slot.

Now we not have to wait and see if we will ever get "He Who Steals" in the 7:00 pm time slot this week. Somehow I think we are just going to get more of the same.

Updated:

I see on my cable that Gunsmoke is also on TVLand, Retro, and PLEXe; so maybe I can pick it up there if it is truly missing from the Encore Western lineup.

After looking at the Encore Westerns website schedule (thanks for the heads up from Danny) this is what appears to be running during the 7:00 pm time slot this week.

Wednesday, July 21 - "Two Tall Men"

Thursday, July 22 - "Honey Pot"

Friday, July 23- "He Who Steals"

That would mean that during this go around, "The New Society" will be skipped, because on the following Monday, July 26, the schedule shows the Season 11 opener, "Seven Hours to Dawn", running in the 7:00 pm time slot.

I copied this list a few weeks ago, so I am hoping nothing has changed. And this also assumes (a risky assumption here) that all the episodes run as shown on the schedule.

Apparently, they cannot get through Season 10 without skipping something.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I just got around to checking this and am I wrong or did Two Tall Men run and He Who Steals still has yet to run?

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris

I just got around to checking this and am I wrong or did Two Tall Men run and He Who Steals still has yet to run?

He Who Steals has never run. Encore Westerns had it scheduled for July 23, but if my memory serves me correctly, Two Tall Men ran in its place.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Encore Westerns ran all 176 one-hour black-and-white Gunsmoke episodes when they aired the series a few years ago (wish I'd had my DVD recorder then, as 88 tapes take up a good bit of space!). Seems like they skipped at least one or two episodes back then during the first go-around but ran them during each cycle of repeats.

In recent months, I'm pretty sure they've skipped at least one Lawman and possibly two Virginian episodes. Is that sloppiness on their part, especially when the episode airs during the next cycle of repeats, or can a legal issue crop up for that one episode that has to be sorted out before it can air?

It appears that Gunsmoke will run only once a month beginning in January, so that will increase the wait for "He Who Steals."

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Gunsmoke has had two run-throughs of seasons 7-11 this past year, one in the morning and one in the evening. Both times they skipped, "He Who Steals." I hope Encore gets this straightened out, and have been waiting for the next cycle to see if I can get the missing episode.

On Lawman, I believe Encore skipped the second season episode, "The Wolfer." However, they have shown two of the three so-called "lost" episodes, those being "Hassayampa" and "Blind Hate." The third missing episode, "The Tarnished Badge", should be on next week, if Lawman continues to run on the same schedule after the first of the year.

I haven't been following The Virginian as closely since Timeless started releasing it. I have the first season release and it is beautiful.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I am missing the Lawman episode "Wolfer" but thought I just messed up somehow, it makes more sense now that you say they skipped it.

I just looked at the Encore Western schedule and it looked to me that Gunsmoke will run once a week in the 7:00 - 8:00 time slot. Wagon Train looks to get the 5:30 - 6:30 slot. HGWT and Virginian will maintain their time slots. I'm actually surprised that Cheyenne and Maverick are still in the morning slots. I thought one or the both would go at this point to make room for more Wagon Train.

Haven't Cheyenne and Maverick been on for quite a while now?

Anyone know how many seasons of Wagon Train wll be shown?

We know Rawhide comes in 2012, but are any other lessor known titles going to sneak in before that (e.g., like Lawman last Summer)?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Hadn't heard of any other buys. There are so many more shows that they could be running. Even if you rule out the shorter run series, which they haven't picked up too many of, there are still shows like Laramie and Tales of Wells Fargo with well over 100 episodes. Not to mention some of the other Warner westerns like Colt 45, Bronco, Sugarfoot, Temple Houston and The Dakotas. I watched a couple of Dakotas last week and that's a good show, much darker and more intense than the usual Warner fluff. I wouldn't mind seeing that and upgrading my copies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks