What's new

Gunga Din/I Remember Mama/Buster Keaton (1 Viewer)

FrankXS

Second Unit
This morning DigitalBits is posting that Warner will bring out the George Stevens' classics Gunga Din and I Remember Mama and a three movie set of Buster Keaton titles including The Cameraman/Spite Marriage and Free and Easy.
All of these titles are for December 7th. There will be special documentaries on Stevens and Keaton.

dave wright

Agent
Real Name
Dave Wright
Great news! ive often wondered why there hasnt been more kicking and screaming for GUNGA DIN on dvd,one of the greatest adventure movies ever.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Excellent news on the Buster Keaton 2-disc!

Interesting enough, I think this will be the first time a silent comedian will have complete works (except for one lost Arbuckle short) availible on DVD.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They've just announced a George Stevens box set in R2, but not told us the contents as yet.

But I'm right there for all of these.

EDIT - DVDanswers says four from George Stevens; details and artwork here.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I'm very happy about I REMEMBER MAMA. It's one of George Stevens' best films, and a textbook example of how to present an adaptation of a stage play in an exciting, highly cinematic way.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I'm delighted that Gunga Din will be released, but I'm disappointed that it doesn't look like there will be any bonus features.

Is there any chance that Gunga Din or I Remember Mama will be part of some boxed set in the future? I'd hate to buy one or another and then have a set come out.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Great news about the Keaton set since THE CAMERAMAN is the only silent of his I haven't seen. Hopefully the set will be just as good as last years LON CHANEY COLLECTION, which was the real "DVD of 2003". :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

FYI, The Cameraman should look wonderful.

As you may know, the negative was lost a long time ago (probably in the Vault 7 fire), so all MGM had were 16mm prints that were from an extremely worn and contrasty source.

In the early 1990's, David Shepard (responsible for the Blackhawk/Film Preservation Associates DVD's) found a long-lost fine-grain positive (a print made off the original negative) among materials used for Robert Youngson compilation films. The Cameraman was excerpted in MGM's Big Parade of Comedy in 1964, so the fine-grain was used to obtain a new dupe negative for scenes used in the film.

Apparently, about half a reel still is lost (it was worn to bits in the original release, but Buster Keaton described it in an interview.) The difference in quality is obvious, though. Just compare the "Silent Classics" VHS tape with the laserdisc (also used on TCM) and you'll see what a miracle the find was.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
All great releases, but I'm especially excited about GUNGA DIN(I never even owned this on laserdisc, so it will be a special thrill to get the DVD). And I REMEMBER MAMA will make a great Christmas gift for, well, mama!;)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Thanks for the info Patrick. I wasn't aware that the film was lost in Vault 7. Wasn't that the same vault that contained LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT?

For anyone interested, TCM will have a Keaton day on 10/4/04 with these films:

6:30a Cameraman (1928) 70m.
7:45a Spite Marriage (1929) 76m.
9:15a Dough Boys (1930) 80m.
10:45a Free and Easy (1930) 93m.
12:30p Parlor, Bedroom and Bath (1931) 73m.
2p Sidewalks of New York (1931) 74m.
3:30p Passionate Plumber (1932) 74m.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Great news re: Gunga Din. :emoji_thumbsup: Wasn't expecting this one to come out this year but I'll take it all the same. :)

Still anxiously awaiting the Cagney & Flynn box sets though.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just a reminder that Warner on December 7th, is celebrating the 100th birthdate of director, George Stevens (12/18/04) by releasing some of his films to dvd as well as some reissued titles.
  • First Time on DVD
  • Gunga Din
  • I Remember Mama
  • George Stevens: A Filmmaker's Journey
  • George Stevens: D Day to Berlin (AA for Best Documentary)

Reissued DVDs
  • Giant
  • Alice Adams
  • Woman of the Year

The only other Stevens title that belongs to Warner that is not yet out on dvd is "Swing Time" which might be part of a dvd release they might be planning for Astaire/Rogers musicals.

Crawdaddy

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

Actually, Crawdaddy, there are a few other Warner-controlled George Stevens films, originally made at RKO, that aren't out on R1 DVD yet:

KENTUCKY KERNELS (1934, Wheeler & Woolsey comedy)
THE NITWITS (1935, ditto)
ANNIE OAKLEY (1935)
QUALITY STREET (1937, Katharine Hepburn)
A DAMSEL IN DISTRESS (1937, Fred Astaire)
THE VIVACIOUS LADY (1938, James Stewart & Ginger Rogers)
VIGIL IN THE NIGHT (1940, Carole Lombard)

I'm particularly keen to see ANNIE OAKLEY on DVD, a great little movie, with a good performance by Barbara Stanwyck in the title role.

Oh well, I guess GUNGA DIN and I REMEMBER MAMA will just have to do for now... ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Peter,
I should have stated "major" title which is why I omitted Annie Oakley and the others. However, you do have a point about Annie which is a favorite with my girl Barbara in it.

Crawdaddy

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Robert,

Do you know if the re-issue of Giant will feature new cover art and or be in a keep case? Any information/images would be welcome!

Andy

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Robert,

I thought they may have reissued it as a keep case, similarly what they did for North by Northwest for the Hitchcock boxed set.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks