What's new

Gummi Bears to DVD? (1 Viewer)

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
I've always liked this cartoon, drawings were very good, writing was witty as well. Did some searching but only found what looks to be video transfers to dvd from vhs on sleebay. Does anyone here know if it will be released to dvd?
Thanks,
G2

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
If it is, I don't think it will be for awhile. Disney really hasn't gotten into the whole TV on DVD craze outside of Gargoyles with their animation for some reason.

Paul

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I've been pretty bummed by the lack of support Disney has put behind TV-DVD releases. They've done a few of everything; sitcoms, dramas, animated releases, but not enough to make any impact in the marketplace. They're sitting on a load of stuff, especially animated titles, but don't seem interested in bringing it out. I'm scratching my head.

Gord

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Disney has a rather underrated, underappreciated, and underused TV library. While "Golden Girls" and "Home Improvement" are being well-used, what have we seen of...

—the nearly 30 years of the original Wonderful World of Disney? (a few Walt Disney Treasures releases, out of hundreds of episodes consisting of non-pre-existing material)

—Zorro? (a complete 1st season in France, albeit colorized)

—The Mickey Mouse Club or its two revivals? (one Treasures set of the original, and best-ofs for the first and third series)

and more of the rare specials, short-lived series, etc.?

You'd think "Gummi Bears" would at least get a notice, and perhaps "DuckTales" as well. But no. Does Disney want people to forget anything they did more than ten years ago?

Rob T

Screenwriter
they're probably just slow starters.
The FF set will be out in a few months and hopefully more animated sets will follow (especially Gargoyles: Season 2).

Joe:C

Second Unit
Yeah it seems like they've been really slow starters. If the sets they have released do well I believe we'll start to see more releases. It's like Gord said, they have a ton of animated titles they're just sitting on.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
FF = Fantastic Four

I hope Disney does Gummi Bears, Darkwing Duck & The Tick (along with the rest of Gargoyles, of course). As much as I watched the rest of the Disney Afternoon programming growing up, I probably wouldn't buy them after catching a few eps on Toon Disney recently. The nostalgia factor isn't great enough to overcome the juvie vibe.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Recently? Most of the original Disney Afternoon programming (Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck) hasn't been on Disney Channel or Toon Disney in years now. The only older Disney show that is still on is Talespin and that is on at like 3AM.

Paul

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I should have said in the last few years (since the advent of Toon Disney), but I could have sworn I saw an ep of Ducktales within the past 6 months on Toon Disney or Disney. It featured the nephews visitng a dude ranch but that's about all I can remember. Huh. Or maybe I just caught part of the movie. :)

I still don't think Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, Talespin, etc are as well-written as Darkwing Duck and possibly Gummi Bears (I need to see that one again).

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
OK, I was just making you weren't lumping in the older shows with the later Disney Afternoon stuff like Little Mermaid, Aladdin the Series, and Timon & Pumbaa. ;->

It may have been Ducktales: The Treasure of the Lost Lamp which reaired this weekend which you saw.

Gummi Bears & Darkwing Duck were great shows, hopefully Disney either puts some of these old shows back on TV besides for Talespin or decides to put them on DVD so people can see them in some form or another because the market is definitely there.

Paul

Steve_P

Grip
How about a "Disney Afternoon Collection"? They should obviously start it with "DuckTales: Volume 1", since DuckTales was the first series in the "Disney Afternoon" (started 1987).

"Chip n Dale: Rescue Rangers" was a big-time favorite of my childhood, and you'd be surprised that CDRR has such a devoted fandom (I didn't find that out until a few months ago).

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I would think Disney could release most of these pretty cheaply - the shows aren't that old, would obviously sell fairly well - us Gen-X'ers would scoop them up, and then parents would also buy them for their kids - just like the new "Starring..." series they currently have out (nearly all the shorts on them have been released in the Treasures series already, so its aimed squarely at little ones).

I know my relatives used to randomly buy me things that just said Disney on them.

And for bonus features, they could just use some of the specials they aired about the shows (like the one with The Jets talking about how they recorded the Rescue Rangers theme)

count me in for ducktales and chip and dale... i would certainly rent talespind and darkwing as i can't remember them as well.

and of course the early 90s spiderman and x-men series

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
would a petition to Disney, or an Email Campaign help? I have been discussing these releases here for quite some time. Count me in for (in order)

Ducktales
Darkwing Duck
Chip & Dale Rescue Ranges
Gummi Bears

I'd buy 'em all!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'd scoop them all up...

DuckTales
Gummi Bears
Darkwing Duck
Rescure Rangers
Tail Spin
Goof Troop

The Wuzzles too. :)

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
I'd buy every seasoned or grouped set of the following from Disney:

DuckTales
Gummi Bears
Darkwing Duck
Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers

DuckTales and Gummi Bears being my favorites.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
I see there is a box set on DVDAvenue but it doesn't look like a Disney released set?? So I worry about the quality of that set...

Any news about the Gummi Bears?
G2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks