What's new

Guess who might be coming to Enterprise?... (1 Viewer)

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Man, how do you get one of these jobs where your employees blast you in public, your performance consistently goes south, and your actual returns (here, in the form of ratings) drop down an order of magnitude from when you started, and you don't get fired.
Sounds like a government job;)

...sorry, I couldn't help myself. I am contracted to the state and see too much waste (including a state employee literally sleeping his way to retirement).

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Am I wrong in assuming I haven't missed anything good (aside from maybe DS9)
Well, there *IS* a little show called DS9. ;) Seriously. You should watch it. It is just great.

Voyager had it's moments here and there, but for the most part it bit. Hard. Of course, Jeri Ryan in a cat-suit & heels was enjoyable. ;) And the Doc was cool. Beyond that, the show was just not that good. IMO. :)

Give DS9 a shot, and check back with ENT sometime next season. I'm hoping that like TNG and DS9, it will really come into it's own with the third season...

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Strictly speaking, and without breaking continuity or causality, they could make Commander Data's head a regular cast member.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Be patient. Voyager didn't get very good until season 6. Then, it started turnign out a fairly good ratio of good episodes.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Dan Rudolph wrote (post #27):

Well, that's one opinion. Another is that Voyager had the best part of its run in the episodes leading up to and culminating with the introduction of the Borg, "Scorpion" (pts. 1 & 2). After that it went back to being mostly tedious and frustrating (with only a few exceptions).

You might want to try looking here, for further opinions on that show.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Be patient. Voyager didn't get very good until season 6. Then, it started turnign out a fairly good ratio of good episodes.
Whoa.

...even if that were true (and I'm not saying it is...), should we be expected to sit through five (count 'em, 5!) seasons of a show to get to "a fairly good ratio of good episodes?"

I've been a Trekkie since before I could walk, but that's asking an awful lot. I passed on several episodes of "E" this season. I did watch the finale... and I'll tune in next season to see what new direction they go in... but my patience is very thin on this show. It certainly won't last a few more seasons, nor should it.

-Scott

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
When reviewing the second-season finale, the Los Angeles Times excoriated the program, calling the writing "hokey." The reviewer went on to suggest that even Trek diehards would be hard pressed to continue following the series.

Voyager was never good, and, yes, it's a bit of a stretch to say a series started redeeming itself after five seasons in a seven-season run.

Something the Seaver guy said in some long-ago thread sticks with me: Who do Berman and Braga have naked pictures of?

I don't see this sort of performance being tolerated at any of the established broadcast networks. But, then, none of those networks offers any series an apparently guaranteed seven-year run.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Scott, all the other shows picked up in season 3, so hopefully you won't have to wait that long.

I think Voyager had a few good episodes in the middle about the Borg, but IMHO, the show picked up with the introduction of Icheb in 6x16. We had a character with something to do and his interactions with other characters (especially Seven) madde them a lot more interesting as well. Plus, we had a realistic treatment of a confused teenager. Not a Wesley Crusher who say the ship every-other week.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Icheb was a good character. I thought season 5 was the only decent season with more decent than bad episodes. Overall the show was horrible. If I found season 5 for $40 or less I'd pick it up for great episodes like "Year of Hell"

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
If I found season 5 for $40 or less I'd pick it up for great episodes like "Year of Hell"
"Year of Hell", IIRC, wasn't that the 2 part episode where all sorts of terrible stuff happen, the Voyager is almost destroyed and then right near the end they press the "reset button". :D

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
John Co wrote (post #33):

Yes, that's the one (of many!!!), and a good example of the stupid, infuriating waste of talent and potential that the show had with yet another crummy, ersatz crisis.

Watching it to the end was like sucking on raw eggs.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, basically the worst cop-out a fiction writer can ever pull off on his/her audience: "They all woke up and it was just a bad dream."

(Reminds me of some of those awful DC Comics scripts from the early 1960s, their so-called "Imaginary Novels" where they could play out scenarios on a one-shot basis without ruining their back stories. The first comic book I ever bought was an issue of Superman featuring the "Imaginary Novel" [aren't all comic-book scripts "imaginary"?] The Death of Superman, wherein Lex Luthor kills the Man of Steel with a Green Kryptonite death ray.)

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
I was never a fan of Voyager, but I really enjoyed the "Year of Hell" two parter - everything was just done so well, from the characters (Kurtwood Smith was fantastic)to the effects (the two ships colliding at the end). Its too bad the reset button was hit at the end, because the story really deserved to have significance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks