What's new

Directors Guess the Screenshot Challenge! (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
This one was easy if you know what and where to look, but Elizabeth can make it more fun by adding a cryptic clue after the first 24hrs are up, 2 points if you guess it before the clue appears and 1 point after. I think one of you guys was doing this in previous games? Kaplan?

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Thanks for the suggestions -- will try to make the shots "interesting". :)

Regarding Steve's suggestions for 2 points pre-clue, and 1 point post-clue, I was considering something like that, too. How exactly would I do this, though? How would the guesser know if he was right or not on his first try? Do I post the people who got it correct before giving a hint for the others?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

I'm not sure how Kaplan did it but I would note the exact time of the clue, those who knew or guessed the correct answer before the clue get 2 points and those posting after get 1. Plus the first correct guess at the title would be 2 points (before the clue), if they get it on a 2nd or 3rd guess 1 point. Than post the scoreboard and answer along with the next screenshot. The guesser would know if he got it right first go by the points on the scoreboard. But it's your game Elizabeth do it the way you feel comfortable.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I used an excel sheet to keep track of people's guesses. I checked my pms and entered the guesses before posting a clue. I didn't list who had it right so far. The only thing you need to decide is what to do if someone who is right changes their mind after a clue is given. The rule I used was your last guess was the official guess, but as long as you announce the rule, you can do it differently if you want.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

I agree with Steve, your game, your rules.

My two cents however is that second and third clues on a screenshot that is uninteresting to begin with will get tedious at best.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Off topic if you want to make this thread a sticky Parker has implemented a new function at the top of the first post on each page, in the Thread Tools dropdown, a "Stick this Thread" button which places the thread at the top until you decide to unstick it. Useful feature. :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, since everyone is giving advice for making things complicated, here is my advice.

Keep it simple. Do you really want to have to keep track with a database? I would tend to only allow one guess per shot. If you want to give a clue after 24 hours, then maybe people will have to "gamble" and decide how sure they are with their 2 point guess.

Running these contests ends up being a lot of work and the more complicated you make it, the more work for you, and I guarantee the more griping you will get. After all, it is a contest and most players are only interested in making it as easy as possible and to see that they get as many chances as possible, which is kind of contrary to the purpose.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Shot #1: Memento

Correct answers:

Steve Christou
Joe Fisher
Kevin M

Other guesses:

Silence of the Lambs (2)
Taking Lives
Red Dragon
The Butterfly Effect
Tattoo
Cape Fear

Shot #2:

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
You know, while not every shot needs to be from Raiders of the Lost Ark, they needn't all come from that R4 only release of that 1973 Hungarian documentary about mating rituals of Pelicans on the west bank of the Danube river either ;).

--
H

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm pretty sure on this one. Or at least I was last night when I made my guess. Now, not so sure...

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Huh. Damn. I just bought Memento a few weeks ago too. I knew I should have watched it. It sure would've helped. :)

I guess I must concede. I have lost my screenshot recognizing abilities. :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I ain't gonna get this one.....I am pretty sure I have never seen this film..

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Shot #2: Equilibrium

Correct Answers:

Russell G
Brett M

Other Answers:

Hero (3)
The Last Emperor
Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone
House of Flying Daggers

Current pointage:

Russell G 2
Brett M 2
Steve Christou 1
Joe Fisher 1
Kevin M 1

Shot #3

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Ah, that's more like it. Finally one that I know.

These new-fangled "modern" movies, with that weird "color" thing...no wonder I didn't know those first two. ;)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Clever girl! I gave up on that last shot thinking it was one of thousands of Hong Kong flicks, and it turned out to be a recent sci-fi film! :D

Btw ahem why do Joe, Kevin and Steve get a measly one point? Wasn't that first shot hard enough? :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks