What's new

GTA3 and Vice City: Xbox version November 4th??!!!! (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
both EB and Gamespot had it in this evening. Im going to wait to see if there are any good Black Friday deals before I jump in.
If you bought from Best Buy, don't they have a 30 day low price guarantee? We are now less than 30 days away from Black Friday so you could buy it now and enjoy for nearly four weeks, and then match prices, right?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
My copy that I ordered on Bestbuy.com is in backorder, at this point I don't even know when it is going to ship.
Best Buy is really slow on shipping pre-orders (although not Amazon-slow). I had ordered Amped2, and it shipped on Monday & still hasn't been delivered yet. So you might not get a shipping notice until Monday. :frowning:

-Dave

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
The local Best Buy just put them on the shelf today. (Actually, they put them on a Xbox showcase table nearby. Probably confused a few people that only looked on the shelves.)

I'll probably boot GTA3 up later this evening.

-greg

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
It is my first time ordering from Bestbuy, usually I just order from Amazon. The wait is driving me crazy, I'm really jonesing to play this. They said it would ship by 11-11 so hopefully Monday is the day.:)

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I would be careful about getting this if you have the Thompson DVD drive, I've read many complaints about huge compatibility issues and I've also hit some of my own. It took 5 tries for it to boot up on my system(which is very reliable for all but a couple of my 40 Xbox games). The audio in the intro skipped, and my custom soundtracks skip badly as well. I have no idea how songs being streamed off the HD can manage to skip, but Rockstar pulled it off somehow. The road also randomly dissappears, leaving me driving in empty space every once in a while. I've also read of a glitch where the pedestrians completely quit talking.

The graphics are minorly enhanced. They're sharper, the framerate is a tiny bit smoother, and there are some new reflections and lighting effects. As an owner of the PS2 GTA games(and a huge fan of them), this has been a pretty crappy purchase for me. I mainly wanted the custom soundtracks and they aren't even working properly for me. Also, punching with the R button is completely unintuitive and you cannot remap the controls as far as I know.

I haven't opened VC yet. Many posts I've read seem to indicate that it has even MORE problems, although a few people say the opposite. These issues seem so widespread that I'm pretty shocked that none of the reviews have mentioned them. Then again, maybe only the people who have problems are posting. If you have an older Xbox, DEFINATELY get GTA:DP at a store where you can return it without a hassle if you have problems.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
First off, what a deal. Both games for the price of one.

Then consider how damn good both of 'em are.

I've been focusing on GTA3 for the time being. Vice City is still in its seal! :)

I've only played these games in small doses on my friend's PS2, but I could see being addicted to this 2-pack for a few months.

And this is coming from someone who tries to finish his video games within one weekend. ;)

I see that there are three separate GTA on Xbox threads. Which is the one that will have running commentaries like "Wow I love this game." and "How do you clear level X?"

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
James - I also am having problems with my copy of GTA. I don't know what specific type of drive is in my Xbox, but I purchased it about three months after launch. I have only played Vice City so far, and it has frozen up four times. However, aside from that issue, the game runs flawlessly. I am hopeful that GTA III runs without freezing and doesn't contain any other types of problems.

Kami

Screenwriter
No problems on my Xbox (I don't have the Thompson drive, I have the other one...forget what it is called). I tried both but I am currently playing through GTA3 first. Graphics look much better than the PS2...looks wonderful on my Toshiba 50h82, frame rate is greatly improved and is very consistent. Controls seem fine for me! I am enjoying this more than I did on the PC. Haven't tried custom sound tracks yet though...still want to listen through the talk radio station a few times :laugh:

Cool box too! ;)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I haven't had problems running them so far, although Vice City does seem a tad "twitchy", and it crashed a couple of times when I had the PC version. Did the PS2 version ever have problems? The first time I played it the dialogue got out of sync with the characters' lips, but that hasn't happened again. GTA3 looks and plays great, though.

JasonMC

Stunt Coordinator
How do you know which DVD drive you have in your Xbox. I bought mine on launch day.
Thanks

A

Andrew_A_Paul

are people really have that much trouble with the game locking up? is it copies of the game, different drives, the game as a whole no matter what copy you might get?

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
All that I can say is that I disteinctly remember Vice City on my PS2 having constant freezes, so perhaps this isn't a problem limited just to the X-Box copies. I'm still waiting for my X-Box copy though so I'll have to wait for my chance to play it before I see what ya'll ae talkng about.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I finally got my copy yesterday and so far I love it, graphics look improved but I'm really digging the surround sound.

and my custom soundtracks skip badly as well.
I've had this problem a little on Vice City, I think it may happen when there is a lot of action going on the screen. Don't know though, it appears very minor for me. I haven't had any real problems with lock-ups like you all seem to be mentioning, though sometimes menus and cutscenes stutter a little as though the game may freeze, hasn't happened to me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks