What's new

GTA V (Five) (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Just realized tonight you have to hit triangle/Y in order to put on a seatbelt. Damnit, could have saved me several lives in vicious car crashes earlier.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Maybe in sales. But the more I play even though I marvel at the work that went into it, the more I realize I find the storyline of "Last of Us" significantly more compelling.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Eating a bit of crow here: Looks like I will be keeping my disk based copy despite the grinding DVD driving me batshit insane.A. It's not available on demand for Xbox.B. The PS3 direct download has significant performance problems because...C. Even if you install the second disk to hard disk the game is designed to take advantage of dual streaming from hard disk and DVD and performs WORSE if you are are fully installed.Madness, but that's how they designed it.Some folks are reporting good results by installing to a thumb drive. Will have to look into that.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sam Posten said:
Eating a bit of crow here: Looks like I will be keeping my disk based copy despite the grinding DVD driving me batshit insane.A. It's not available on demand for Xbox.B. The PS3 direct download has significant performance problems because...C. Even if you install the second disk to hard disk the game is designed to take advantage of dual streaming from hard disk and DVD and performs WORSE if you are are fully installed.Madness, but that's how they designed it.Some folks are reporting good results by installing to a thumb drive. Will have to look into that.
Second disk? Wait, what? I know I got mine through different sources, but I only have 1 disc....

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I thought the second disc stuff was Xbox, not a PS3 thing due to it being bluray?

I'm still holding off on picking this up. I'm sure it will show up on the next gen systems eventually. If not, I'll wait for a game of the year edition.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've been looking for a new sandbox game after playing the living crap out of Skyrim. Maybe this is the one.

- Walter.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Right the second disk is Xbox only. PS3 is 1 disk which you can choose to install or not. Installing or buying via direct download detrimentally affects on PS3 same as it does on 360.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Sam Posten said:
Right the second disk is Xbox only. PS3 is 1 disk which you can choose to install or not. Installing or buying via direct download detrimentally affects on PS3 same as it does on 360.
I see. Another reason for me to hold out for a next gen version.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
One word: AMAZING. I spent over 6 hours alone just exploring the city, and not playing any of the missions. The control is graceful, and so much better than any previous GTA game. The graphics are at times breathtaking, standing atop the highest mountain at dusk was an instant greatest moment in my video gaming experiences. One thing I could never stand about the GTA games was starting a mission over after failing. Sometime it would take up to 10 minutes just to get back to where you were.....just to die, and do the whole thing over again. FRUSTRATION! I never finished GTA 4 for that reason alone.
GTA 5 fixes al that in a big way you die, you start at the beginning of the action, eliminating travel time from one side of the city to the other, and all other unnecessary hoopla. Easy, and fun. The way it was meant to be.

Seriously the exploration is a game in itself. Some of the areas are just fantastic. Not to say this game doesn't have a sadistic side, because it does.
Example. I got a 3 star wanted level running from the cops(3 stars in this one is no joke the cops will hunt you down and kill you) Got into a boat to lose them which I did. Happened upon a small rocky island. Noticed another boat docked near it. On the island there were 2 guys, and a girl sitting around a fire near an abandoned shack with old mattresses in it. Nice tranquil scene, then one guy gets up and says he's gonna call the cops on me (for standing near the fire?) so I punch him out. The girl bolts after screaming "what the fuck?" The guy I punched rolls into the fire and is engulfed in flames instantly.
I chase the girl to see where she is going. Moments later I hear a blood curdling scream from the guy on fire. The girl falls off the rocky cliff, and I dive in after her to see where she is. Steep drop off as I swim nearly 30 ft underwater looking for her(Fully knowing I can't save her anyway) I find her body in a mangled position banging against the rocks underwater.
Ok I feel ill after what transpires so I take my boat and leave the island. I start navigating through a beautiful mountain on a quad. I see a mountain lion. I get off the vehicle, and before I can reach for my shotgun the animal leaps on my face and kills me quickly. Fun stuff, but very chaotic and crazy at times.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
If the tennis-instructor sees Franklin during the first stealth mission, he yells, "He's black!!"

I'm having way too much fun dressing characters. I gave Trevor long hair and the mountain-man beard, but I put him in a blazer and nice pants just because he wants to impress Michael. It's hilarious.

Just bought the airfield, but my plane disappeared after the first drug-drop mission, dammit. I need to find a crop-duster and buzz Griffith Observatory while blasting The Rocketeer soundtrack ASAP.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I am going slowly, soaking it all in and not rushing it. I took a blimp ride and pulled a DB Cooper sans parachute =) Fun stuff. I've been underwater a few times, very impressive.I soooooo wish this was a next gen title tho. They pushed this generation for all it's got, but you can see they wanted to go even further.Just got to Trevor last night. Not sure what I think yet about him.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The frame rates on this get crazy jerky at moments. I keep thinking how much better this would be next Gen or on a PC. Sent from my Nokia 920 using Tapatalk

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Spoilers for a...er...certain point in the game...

Awwww...And I LIKED The Lost and Damned, too.

Poor Johnny.

I enjoy the Trevor Rampage missions. Only because it seems like most of them involve some type of anti-Canadian comment hurled at him. Trevor does not take kindly to those insults.

Later on, I was riding around as Trevor, and ran into a certain drunk/doping Irish fuck. He's available for heists, too.

Speaking of, am I the only one who made the mistake of going cheap, and hiring the cheapest crew available? Holy crap, what a mistake that was. Why, oh why did I hire that mustached douche from LifeHack?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Installed to a usb key drive per advice, it's SO MUCH better, total quiet now, super fast. This is the only way to play.

Social Club is messed up most of the time, hope they get that straight.
0_0.jpg

Ho Ho Ho, now I have an assortment of fun implements of chaos.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Quick tip for everyone:

Pay attention to when you're about to destroy shit for a corporation. Buy stocks for the rival company, and wait a day after you hear about the crime you committed on the radio. Then sell, and clean the fuck up.

Started over last night (was playing on my wife's profile), and am playing on my own profile now, trying to gold-medal all the missions from the very beginning, now that I know what to expect.

Trevor's intro-cinematics are fantastic. My favorite: Trevor wakes up in bed with Wade, who's wearing pink pajamas and quivering. "You looked so peaceful sleeping." When Trevor stands, you can see an ax buried in the door.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I haven't made social club work for me at all on any level, keeps dying.

I've had the week to play, and it's fun... but it just isn't my kind of game. I threw mine on Craigslist (unredeemed digital code too) so I assume someone will get $20 off on a hot new game ;)

JustinFow

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin Fowler
My favorite Trevor moments: waking up on the beach in my underwear next to three dead bodies, waking up on top of Mt.Chilliad wearing a dress yelling "It's cold up here!", and giving him a beard, mullet and glasses so he looks just like Steve Earle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks