What's new

Gruber's predictions for WWDC, place yours! (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I don't believe it either: does the Scott Bourne character promulgating the rumor have any kind of track record? If it had come out of Andy Ihnatko, then I'd be scratching my head. One could see why Verizon would spread false rumors -- the number of iPhone switchers leaving Verizon has gone up lately, and maybe they are concerned that the AT&T network upgrades will actually work as advertised. Anything to stop customers from leaving, until they can get a LTE iPhone x year(s) down the line.

It just doesn't make sense. By all available reports Apple is under EXCLUSIVE contract with AT&T until summer 2010. Even if Verizon is talking about a future product announcement being made -- no way in hell would Apple agree to a Verizon iPhone being announced an year out -- it would seriously jeopardize current sales.

The only possibility of truth in the rumor I see: Verizon is getting an Apple device that is NOT an iPhone -- like a MacBook Air with built in EVDO, subsidized price and a two year $60 a month Verizon contract.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Agreed, but locking sucks even more. I don't mind being under contract to AT&T (which in any case is about to expire), I don't think that they are in any way inferior to T-Mobile the only other GSM choice. As a frequent traveller Sprint and Verizon are non-options for me.

On the other hand, I would love to be able to buy local SIMs whichever country I find myself -- and that is what locking prevents. In some countries (like Italy) SIM locking is illegal -- I wish that was the case here.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'm holding out for the Macbook Wheel.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Apple Introduces Revolutionary New Laptop With No Keyboard | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This was my though when hearing the rumors about a cheaper, lower-spec iPhone. It's a no brainer: today's regular hardware is tomorrow's lower-spec hardware. Release a new, faster iPhone and the current model easily drops in price to become the lower-spec intro model.

I predict there won't be any changes to screen size or resolution. It's too soon to confuse the marketplace (and the appStore) with new screen sizes.

I predict Tethering will be an expensive AT&T option.

I predict that Verizon is getting worried as the only carrier without a consumer-friendly "smartphone".

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I'm no mind reader, but by external evidence, they are worried. Look at the recent brouhaha between Sprint and Verizon over Palm Pre exclusivity. Sprint's CEO basically called Verizon liars for implying that they would get the Pre in six months. I have to presume that the Sprint guy is telling the truth -- and thus for Verizon to lie like that they must be pretty damn worried that not only will they lose more customers to AT&T iPhone, but the Sprint & the Pre as well. (And they are damn worried about the iPhone -- they wouldn't be sending out "Verizon iPhone" surveys to their customers and making nice with Apple if they weren't.

The iPhone is outselling the Storm by what, 4 to 1 right now? What's going to happen to that ratio when the iPhone 3GS and the $99 iPhone are released? I can tell you I don't expect a $99 Storm or Pre -- neither company has Apple's economies of scale to afford it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Smartphones are a tiny part of the market. They will continue to be so until well past the time when the next generation of cell technology arrives and basically blasts carrier exclusivity out of orbit. At that point every carrier will have every phone and Verizon's superior network (and installed base) will be the real advantage, not who can woo tech companies the best. And when that day arrives you will see a much bigger market for smartphones as a side benefit.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

Sure I agree, but that doesn't preclude Verizon being worried in the here and now. Two years is a long time in this business.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
In some areas they have better reception than AT&T. That was not my experience as a Verizon customer, but I left them many years ago. AT&T definitely has problems in NYC, SF & Chicago. But LTE will be done more or less from scratch -- so AT&T has a golden opportunity to catch up.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Gruber's track record as of late as been pretty good, so I wouldn't presume to bet against him. 32GB, faster processor, better camera, video, improved battery life... these all seem like done deals at this point. Last year's model wasn't enough to entice me off of my original iPhone, but if the rumored specs pan out I'm upgrading this year for sure, on Day 1 if I can get one.

As Gruber also pointed out, what seems more interesting at this point is Snow Leopard. How will Apple market it? What will be the price point? It looks like SL will be going head-to-head against Win 7 this fall. Apple got a gift with Vista, but Win 7 is going to be a formidable competitor. I think SL is going to be the REAL story coming out of WWDC.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

This is what I'm most excited about. As much as I am loathe to admit it, MS has hit it out of the park with Win 7. It still is going to be a security nightmare and I will still have bad dreams about adminisitering my parents Win 7 boxes, from a feature and UI perspective it's not bad at all. They have effectively caught up nicely there. Now Apple has to change the game again today, I am hoping for something totally out of left field here.

A good start would be a 'MacApp' store. And BluRay support. =)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
As am I.

We may actually get the new phone as soon as today. The online Apple Store is down, there are reports of extended hours for B&M Apple Store employees this week, and the iPhone 3G demo units are said to be being pulled this morning.

AppleInsider is also reporting an indication that there may be price cuts coming for the entire line of Apple notebooks.

23 minutes to go. Engadget live feed, here I come.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm Live from the local Panera Bread.
Tweetdeck is pulling 'wwdc' every minute
Tweetie has my friends all tracked
I've got Engadget, Giz and Ars all up and updating

Only live.twit.tv doesnt seem to be working for me.

Lets use this thread for updates, plus you can tweet me at Navesink if you wanna say hi =)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
T-Minus Ten Minutes and it's reported that Steve and Jony Ives have been spotted and there is an iMac with a tron like glow on stage. Phoenix is playing!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks