What's new

*GRR* Gamecube - No 480p output!!! (1 Viewer)

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
This evening, I finally gave into the urge and bought a Gamecube. I already have an Xbox, but after 10 years without my favorite characters, I was desparate to re-introduce myself to the next generation of Zelda and Metroid.

I bought my unit around 7h00pm this evening. Naturally, I went on a hunt to find a component cable for the Gamecube and quickly discovered it was only available from Nintendo directly.

Ok, no problem. I thought I'd just order it online.

But Nintendo has discontinued what they call the "digital A/V output port" as of May 2004! My Gamecube (the Metroid Prime bundle), complete with broken controller, doesn't have the second port! What a freakin' joke!!!!

*GRRRRRR* I can't even being to explain how mad I am. I just bought this blasted thing and I've been toting it all over town this evening, trying to find the component cable. And once I discover it's not available through B&M stores, to add insult to injury, my Gamecube can't even output 480p!

Nintendo has an 800-number to discuss this issue with those who still want the progressive scan output of the box, but of course the CSRs are all asleep now (I don't blame them-- it's midnight).

*GRRRRRRR* Still, I can't believe they discontinued the 480p output of the Gamecube 6 months ago and I only found out about it once I tried to order their own component output cable.

Is it so hard to put a minor disclaimer on the packaging that newer units no longer support 480p?

Nuts, right this minute, I hate you, Nintendo.

[edit for speeling :)]

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I hear that Nintendo customer service might offer to switch your Gamecube for one with 480p support. You might get a refurb, though.

I guess their polling found that most people aren't using it (too true) so they axed it to save a few bucks. Pretty common practice, historically, but annoying.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Well, I finally got ahold of Nintendo this afternoon. You are correct, Dave-- they're exchanging my new console with a refurb'd one with the digital a/v port.

While part of me is happy there's a somewhat simple solution for this, I'm not at all happy about paying full retail price for someone's refurbished unit. At least Nintendo is paying for the FedEx charges.

Maybe I need to start a campaign telling the 12 year-olds they can't play Pokemon unless they have the digital a/v port. :frowning:

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I'd return the new Cube, and buy a used one for $79 or so.

Nintendo always makes crummy decisions, they can't honestly be losing that much money on a digital port!

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I think I'm in agreement with Scott. Although a refurb direct from Nintendo probably carries a better warranty, you could get a used one for $20-30.

Unless you got the Mario Kart bundle - in which case, I can see sticking with the bundle you've got.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
You guys are right. I think I'm just going to find a used unit and give my new one to my nephew. It's unfair to pay $100 for a recycled Gamecube.

Rodrick

Second Unit
I just bought my Zelda Windwaker and Zelda cube package at Costco, with the 480p output. I guess I have the old versions.

Some other stores carry the Metroid one. Or the Gameboy player bundle.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Problem solved; I picked up a used unit at MTC (along with a desparately needed memory card) and I told my sister her son will be getting my 2-day old unit :)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Question for you guys:

Do you think it makes a difference to have the Gamecube (or Wii for that matter) output progressive over component vs. having a processor, such as the iScan, de-interlace the 480i image from component (which is what I do for DVD playback as well)? Is there a more "artificial" component to doing it this way? Is all the information put out over 480i for the iScan to reassemble, or is it "guessing" when it constructs the 480P image?

I've run my Gamecube with that setup for years, mainly because the iScan lets me manipulate the aspect ratio...and because I can adjust the brightness of the game (why don't ALL games have that feature?) without changing the settings on my monitor which would affect all my other components. It looks quite good. I just started playing a few games again. May actually open up Metroid Prime for the first time. (I know!)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The Wii will play GameCube games and does 480p if you buy the component cables. You could wait a few days, get a Wii, and get the best of both worlds (it even uses the GameCube controllers/memory cards).

But I guess it's too late. Either way, your nephew gets a nice gift.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator

Recently I tried out RE4 and Zelda OOT with progressive scan turned off and let my Sony A200 de-interlace the 480i signal and upscale to 1080p. I may be crazy but to me the image was noticeably better. A quick look at Link showed that the jaggies were significantly reduced. In both games the edges around objects looked smoother. I may be missing some other benefits of 480p but to my eyes leaving the Cube set to 480i looks better.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

While this is true, the Wii will not upscale a non-progressive scan GameCube title to 480p. (I think you will need to activate Pro-Scan by holding the "Z" trigger on your GC controller, just like you did with the GameCube hardware.)

The Wii will display each and every GameCube title in it's native resolution. The good news is, according to hands-on impressions from Kotaku, GameCube games apparently look better on the Wii.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Good lucking finding a Nintendo Component Cable. Nintendo no longer offers them online. You'll have to use Ebay.

I think it would be wiser to wait for a Wii because the cables should be easier to find and it can play both Wii and Gamecube games.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
Except on the Nintendo store site, Wii Components are sold out and back ordered. You get this little message:

" Due to high demand, our initial allotment of the Wii Component Video Cables has been depleted. We expect to begin shipping again the week of November 28, 2006."

Of course, this time around, wii component cables will be available from retailers, not exclusivley from the Nintendo Online Store.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I could be wrong, but I think the Wii cables and the Gamecube cables are different.

Nintendo had, "Item not in stock, will arrive in 4-6 weeks" up for about a year for the component cables, but they never arrived.

About 6 months ago, the Gamecube cables were going for about $80 on ebay, it looks like they are down to $30-40 now that the Wii has arrived.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks