What's new

Growing Up Gotti: TV has gone down to a whole new low. (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Of course, I know I have the choice not to watch it and I won't, but taking the name and family of a known and convicted mob boss and creating a reality show is too much, and to top it off based on the coming attractions, it appears to be stereotypical and simply horrible t.v. When does the madness stop, T.V. is making this convicted murderer and felon a star, in spite of all he has done in the name of the "La Cosa Nostra" (I believe it spelled and pronounced that way). I'm simply angry about this move.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
I am dismayed that a once quality channel like A&E would resort to joining on the reality show bandwagon and what's even worse, they are doing so with "Growing Up Gotti."

Thank God for an alternative like DVD's.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Didn't mention it but you're right, it did surprise me that A&E would go this direction. Fox, WB, UPN, and maybe even MTV, but A&E is a surprise. Thanks for the change in title admins.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it was a hoot that our postings were 2 minutes apart. :D

A&E used to hold themselves to a higher standard with their programming, but those days are long gone.

Funny how EDTV was so accurate.

James D

Second Unit
Bill Kurtis must not be pulling in the ratings anymore for A&E to resort to all of these new reality shows(Airline, Family Plots and now Gotti). However, it's only on Mondays and I actually enjoy Airline.:)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I can't really knock reality shows completely because eventhough it a producer's or network's answer to the lack of imagination, it's entertaining to a great deal of viewers. But this is just an area that should never be ventured in. Criminals names or a criminal's name should not be memorialized in any form of entertainment like this.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
The wife and I have only found 1 "reality show" that held our attention and that was Frontier House - which was on PBS. That was a good premise.

Colonial House, PBS's second stab at such a show, fell apart when certain people didn't "feel" they needed to follow along with the rules and traditions of the period.

Other than that, I don't care for them. Just MHO.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Just by seeing the previews of this show , I know there's going to be zero interest. Guys who watch these kinds of reality shows, IMHO want to see eye candy and there's none there to see.Of course I could be totally wrong,lol!I have to agee with Jim about PBS's reality shows, at least they were educational, I especially liked the one on life in Britain during WW2.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
The Big Boss must haved freaked out when he saw this crapola, great for "the family" image. What a disgrace, young spoiled brats out of control! These people give Italians a bad name. :thumbsdown:

:angry:

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
TiVo recorded it last night so I watched it. Her voice overs are annoying, which I guess they chose over the standard reality interview style. Her kids are damn annoying.

I know almost nothing about the Gottis. How does she have such a big house? Did they have a lot of legitimate business?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

Not really, most of the money was obtained through racketeering, extortion and other illegal means. The one reason why I'm so against this show.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
From the the NY Post's website...

And in the TV business, ratings are all that counts. So we can probably expect to see more of this crap on A&E. What's next? "Growing up Kazinsky?" How about, "Finding love with Mary Kay Letourneau"?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Listening to talk radio today, they did a spoof and called it Growing Up Bin-Laden. What the heck, certainly explains why we haven't heard any tapes from him in a while. He's making a reality show for PBS:D

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Unbelievable.

My wife and I watch A&E all the time. We rolled our eyes every time we saw an ad for this show. Dolled up bimbo and her 3 sons. You couldn't pay me to watch this garbage.

And yeah, they DO give Italians a bad name. :angry:

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator
I cannot believe it had such high numbers!! I'm sure the initial curiosity will drop off and the numbers will go down fast.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I setup the TiVo for a season pass. after it recorded the first episode I watched it and skipped past the commercials, and when I was done, I deleted the 2nd episode and erased the season pass. The show sucks so horribly. VG is stuck up. the kids are spoiled, the house however was very nice.

I find it ironic that VG said she didn't want people to judge her on her name, if that was the case, then why didn't she take her ex's last name?

I don't see how anyone could like this show. there is absolutely nothing appealing about it.

Chuck Mullen

Stunt Coordinator
I don't remember what movie or TV show this came from, but it is a great line:
"Reality TV is one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse."
Edit- I found it-
Reality television. It's one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse.
Noah Wyle as John Carter. ER.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Waiting to see what the ratings are for the second ep. I bet there is a drop. (I *hope* there is a drop.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks