What's new

Grover Crisp checks out A Matter of Life & Death digital resoration, Blu-ray in the works? (1 Viewer)

Howard Tom

Agent
Real Name
Howard Tom
Bob Furmanek said:
I hope the new restoration has restored the sepia tint to the heaven sequences.
I thought those sequences didn't have a sepia tone to it (as, say, the old Sea Hawk DVD had for the jungle sequences), but what Powell hoped would be a 'pearly' tone? My first viewing on TV I seem to recall it looked like no monochrome I had ever seen before.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Okay, jst heard from a second contact in Ireland who says AMOLAD on iTunes in Ireland is only 1080p, file size 3.2gb, listed as a Carlton release.

First contact says it's 1080p and listed as Rank. He's sending me a screenshot.

Steve W

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
And let's hope that Tales of Hoffmann will finally be released complete at 138 minutes for the first time on home video.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
And with, as a lovely bonus, the German soundtrack which was made for the movie a few years later, featuring the wonderful soprano Rita Streich.
I love the English version of course, but it would be good to hear Rita in the role.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I'm almost certain I saw Universal's version of the Rodgers and Hart musical "The Boys From Syracuse" in Sepia many years ago.

"A Matter of Life and Death" on Blu-ray would be an instant purchase for me.
I await with much interest.

Doug.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I first saw AMOLAD on TV many, many years ago as "Stairway to Heaven".

This will certainly be right near the top of my "immediate pre-order / purchase" list. :)

CineCraft

Agent
Real Name
Brian Rose
ABaglivi said:
And let's hope that Tales of Hoffmann will finally be released complete at 138 minutes for the first time on home video.
Wow there's more to this film than what was in the OOP Criterion release? Awesome! What was cut, exactly I wonder? I'd also love it if they recovered the original ending, which hews more closely to the original opera, but was scrapped by Powell for the ending that now exists in all versions.

And as for AMOLAD, I guess it's a pipe dream, but I hope this could find its way to Criterion...because it drives the OCD in me bonkers having a non-criterion nestled between my P & P collection which is entirely Criterion release!

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
In Tales of Hoffmann, there are approx. 13 minutes missing from what has been released. There are cuts in the Prologue (tavern scene), the Giulietta Act, and a major cut in the Antonia act of a lengthy
aria and solo ballet by Leonide Massine (the servant). The complete soundtrack was released on London records, back in the day, and has been issued on CD. All that is missing from the soundtrack is the background audience noise behind the credits.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've been waiting for "Stairway to Heaven" for 70 years! Memories are still quite vivid for me of when I saw this in my Family's Theatre as a youngster. This captivating movie left an indelible impression on me. Can hardly wait for the Bluray Release.

If you've only seen StH, you've not yet experienced AMoLaD.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I hope what I've just heard is wrong.

Someone at the PnP Appreciation Society (who is in regular touch with Thelma Scoonmaker, and has always been kept abreast of the previous restoration of TRS and Blimp) says it is NOT a new restoration, but a new scan "...of the same tired old negatives (or inter-negs)...made for the DVD of AMOLAD & AoC".

Gutted.

I hope he's wrong, but he's usually a 100% reliable source.

Can RAH check with Mr Crisp?

My only hope is that Sony decided to go ahead of this anyway, without waiting for Scorsese's Film Foundation, and that Thelma simply hasn't heard about it for that reason.

But I suspect that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks