What's new

!!!! GROUP PURCHASE SURVEY: What would our members like to see offered? !!!! (1 Viewer)

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Mistake me if I'm wrong. Most all receivers have a least six channel inputs. Besides DVD AUDIO and SACD players,
WHERE'S THE ADD ON DECODERS for cheaper upgrades?
DECORDERS.
------------------
The only dumb question is the one you never ask....

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Geez, all I could ask for would be everything.
biggrin.gif

Ok, just the usual home theater stuff:
Dvd Players
Receivers
Amplifiers
Pre/Pros
Speakers (w/ lots of DIFFERENT companies)
Subs (same goes for these too)
Direct View TVs
RPTVs (HD/SD, lots of companies)
Front Projectors
Scalers, Video Processing
Acoustic Material
Dvd-Audio/SACD players
and Movies, Movies, MOVIES!
hmmm....am I forgeting anything?
------------------
Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Whatever you decide to do a group buy on it should be priced better than the best found price on the internet. If you do this whatever it is people will buy it.
I will put in a vote for a Pre-pro.

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
I would definitely like to see some good deals on fixed pixel projectors.
Someone has also mentioned this but I would really like some great prices on KLIPSCHspeakers.
:)
Aaron

AllenD

Second Unit
1. Flagship AVRs
2. Speakers: Paradigm, Monsoon, Tannoy, Legacy (when I win the lottery :) ), B&W, Revel just to name a few of interest
3. Panamax MAX 5500 AC regenerator/surge protector/voltage regulator
4. DVD-A and SACD players (2 ch/surround models)
5. HTPC: Pre-built and HTPC friendly components
6. Last but not least: Group Buy reduced prices for EXTENDED WARRANTIES!
[Edited last by AllenD on October 11, 2001 at 08:16 PM]

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
PEOPLE-
Independant companies that don't have ANY store presence are OBVIOUSLY not going to be able to participate in the group buy.
On topic though:
B&W Speakers
Martin Logan Speakers
HDTV Set top boxes
High End DVD players

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
Kishu:
Don't expect to get any Outlaw stuff for discounted prices. Their entire biz model is based on direct marketing, and therefore fixed pricing. I was surprised recently to even see Outlaw stuff available online from vendors OTHER than Outlaw themselves. But, maybe that's a sign that they're changing their business model.
James W. Johnson:
In my experience, Group Buys are usually priced around or just below the lowest price you can find on the net. The benefit is that the group buy is from a reputable vendor, who is authorized to make the sale by the manufacturer. Sometimes the prices are "out of this world"... but sometimes they're just "very good". The main benefit is generally great prices, with an authorized dealer.
All:
The trick is, a group buy is just that -- a group buy. The vendor will offer up a given item (ONE item) and then you either sign up to buy it or you don't. If it's not the subwoofer (or whatever) that you want, then you have to wait or buy else where. The discount is given because the vendor is guaranteed a large one-time purchase, so he/she can afford to cut their profits a bit at that time, since overhead relative to the sale has decreased.
So, don't misunderstand... you will not be able to shop and pick what you want. If what you want THAT DAY (or week or month) is not offered, then you either buy elsewhere, or wait, since if the vendor does offer the product, he/she's likely to offer a gp on it eventually, if it's a popular item.
------------------
-Kieran
My HT Page

Allan F

Agent
You can't go wrong with speakers. I would like to see options from speaker manufacturers that are generally only available in retail stores.
Allan

It's nice to see an attempt by people to 'work together.'
But I think this is the wrong place to do it. I really don't think ANYONE is really paying too much for equipment these days. It's really as simple as that. Think about it.
What people have found is that they buy on a basis of actual equipment, service and good information. To get that one needs dedicated retailers and/or HIGH-SERVICE websites.
These are few and far between as we all know. Rather than knocking the last 10 bucks off and concentrating sales to some company that is really only offering PRICE (after all, we don't know anything else about this), we will not only be emotionally de-motivating GOOD sellers but also skimming off a lot of necessary business. Anyone who is at ALL familiar with this field knows that the economics have been VERY bad the last year or two (and now DISASTROUS after 11 Sept) for dedicated retailers and other sellers.
So rather than put the last nails in the coffin, why not a co-operative effort to reward retailers and websites that truly offer 'value added' to whatever price they charge. This can be done by forum members going out of their way to mention sellers that do offer this 'extra effort.'
There is much too much emphasis on JUST price on this forum. That's rather paradoxical and ironic as this forum is supposedly based on service and information - the very things that price-chasing reduces.
I am hoping some people really think about this seriously before just discarding.
[Edited last by Bill Turetsky on October 12, 2001 at 06:58 AM]

Mike_Reznik

Stunt Coordinator
Good pre/pros & amps would be my number 1 choice.
I'd also like to see, line conitioners, and pro-scan dvd players.
Thanks!
------------------

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Dennon Recievers (any with DTS-ES)
16x9 Widescreen HDTVs. I just want the best/cheepest 16x9 HDTV there is! Mits, Hitachi, whatever, I am just wanting a screen to go with my sound!
BTW: Who ever you are I would like to say thank you so much for offering this for us!! I personally would like to say on behalf of us all that we appreciate your care and devotion to the HTF! God bless!
------------------
In Him,
GH
My Home
Theater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks