What's new

grounding your system? (1 Viewer)

DanielSmi

Second Unit
i'm not necessarily a newbie but this is one thing I know almost nothing about. What is purpose of grounding your ht? How do go about doing it? What's the point of the ground terminal on the back of your reciever, what do you do with it? How do you know if your system isn't grounded? Will not grounding your system put noise in both your audio and video feed? Are there any places I can read up some more on this topic like any good books or websites? Please help me with this if you know anything I wan't to learn. thanx in advance. :D
Daniel Smith

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Hi Daniel, welcome to the HTF!

I can't give you a lot of of info but, if your incoming electrical supply for your household circuits is grounded and and all outlets are properly grounded you should have nothing to worry about.

I use a fairly nice power strip for my equipment and my particular power strip tells me if The ground is OK by displaying a confirmation light right on the strip.

There are also electrical outlet testers available which will test your outlets and tell you if you have a good ground.

At the very least invest in a nice Power strip which indicates the condition of the ground.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I tried grounding my system of the back of the receiver and it made my system hummm.I did this as a last resort trying to fix a hum problem in my sub.When I turn the "gain-volume" up to half on the back of the sub it will start to hum.Fortunatley I only need to turn it up to 1/4 to 1/3 and then use the receiver to ajust.I tried my spare sub and the same thing happens.As long as your outlets are grounded properly ground should not be a issue,but I have seen many posts including myself where there has been a issue.You can punch in ground in the search option on this sight and come up with some feed-back I would think.

MichaelGomez

Stunt Coordinator
Jim is right on the money. The little ground is for the Phono. The needle dragging across a vinyl record will cause static discharge. So it gets grounded so that it has somewhere to go other than your equipment.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Daniel,

First, welcome to the Forum!

Sean and the others have answered a few of your questions; I’ll tackle the rest.
Will not grounding your system put noise in both your audio and video feed?
Not necessarily. However, a ground loop – that is, two separate ground points - can cause hum and noise in both audio and video components. Thus it is essential to make sure that incoming CATV satellite signals are grounded to the same ground stake that the house electrical is.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks