What's new

Grindhouse to be split-up for DVD ? (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Go check out the review in Entertainment Weekly. Owen Glieberman is the only one who seems to have gotten it right and TWC should have used his review to promote Grindhouse.

DexterPQ

Agent
Real Name
Andi
Death Proof (Widescreen Version) [DVD] (2007)
Presented here as the extended version submitted to the Cannes Film Festival, Quentin Tarantino's half of the "Grindhouse" double feature stars Kurt Russell as a psychotic stunt driver who uses his souped-up movie car to stalk and kill unsuspecting young women. But Russell gets more than he bargained for when he targets a group of girls with a deadly fast ride of their own and a crazy streak almost as long as his, setting the stage for a breakneck chase on a windy rural road.

Rosario Dawson, Tracie Thoms, Zoe Bell also star.
Extended version.
Widescreen;
Soundtrack: English.
Two-disc set.
Category: Action & Adventure
Director: Quentin Tarantino
Cast: Michael Bacall, Rosario Dawson, Vanessa Ferlito, Jordan Ladd, Jonathan Loughran, Rose McGowan, Tim Murphy, James Parks, Michael Parks, Sydney Tamiia Poitier, Eli Roth, Kurt Russell, Marley Shelton, Monica Staggs, Quentin Tarantino, Tracie Thoms

Available: 09/18/07
Rated: NR

Link:
turnerclassic.moviesunlimited.com/product.asp?sku=D55291++

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
You know there will be an inevitable double-dip with a "deluxe version" including "the original Grindhouse experience."

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I thought they would at least have the decency to release them on the same day, why only death proof mentioned ???

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how they are going to handle the fake trailers and the "Coming Attractions" bumpers

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
I suppose that I'm in the minority, in that I am happy the films are being released this way. The full "Grindhouse" theatrical experience was fun, but for me it was really just a cool marketing gimmick. The tone and technique of the films is so disparate, that I've never really bought the notion that they are one picture. I suppose I'm also satiated in that I found Death Proof vastly superior to Planet Terror, and don't really have any interest in owning the latter. Hopefully though, all of the trailers and bumpers will be available with both films (as supplements, if nothing else) to satisfy those of us who just want one of the films.

I imagine that Planet Terror will be released around the same time, if not on the same day. It is possible though, that Rodriguez wants time to prepare an extended version, or perhaps to finish Machete, to include on his set. Tarantino already took the time to flesh out Death Proof, since it was going to Cannes. I'm sure the Weinsteins are releasing it when they are in order to tie in with their release of the Kill Bill special edition.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
This is all just too damned bad. GRINDHOUSE was the most fun I've had in a theater in a long time. The fact that the films were so different is *exactly* why it was so much fun. This was a common occurrence in actual Grindhouse theaters in the '70s. I'll buy both discs because I enjoyed both films for what they were, but I'm really glad that I got to see GRINDHOUSE in its intended form. Screw the Weinsteins. They mess up things more often than they get them right.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think the blame can shared by more than just the Weinsteins. It's a pretty safe bet that if Tarantino and Rodriguez demanded that the movies come out together on DVD, it would have happened but they all know they can make more money by releasing it multiple times.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Well, if it's any consolation, I would imagine this would a perfect candidate for fan edits. Just Sayin'

Matthew H

Second Unit
I saw Grindhouse in theaters and LOVED it.. I didn't dig Death Proof as much as Planet Terror, but both were still spectacular films.. this DVD release blows.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
What was probably going to be a blind buy, now may be a couple of rentals... Maybe. Like I said, I would have preferred the whole movie going experience. (Hey, I even like Warner Bros. "Night at the Movies" features!)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
One of the best parts of "Planet Terror" was the missing reel gag. Having an extended version of that is just going to ruin it. I very much doubt I'll buy these versions, the same as me not buying Kill Bill Vol. 2 (waiting for the Whole Bloody Affair).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks