What's new

Grindhouse in Blu hopefully? (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Any word yet or ideas? I thought I heard spring for a theatrical release.

Maybe Im dreaming? =(

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Grindhouse is a Weinstein Company release and they are currently HD DVD exclusive, so no Blu-ray release for now.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I REALLY wish the Weinsteins would announce some titles, switch sides...DO SOMETHING.

I was really hoping for my favorite film of '07, The Mist, to get some type of High Def. release this March, but it doesn't appear to be happening right now.

First Death Sentence, now The Mist. :frowning: For some reason, my favortes are being left behind on SD.

loganhunter2002

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Logan Hunter
Grindhouse wouldn't look any better on Bluray. The film purposely has a lot of grains. Just buy it on SD DVD.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For some inexplicable reason, there's tons of people that think it should look 'bad'. Sure, it was shot and projected at resolutions higher than even HD can offer but it shouldn't try to achieve the look of the theater for some reason. :)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I would have bought it on SD DVD had they released the theaterical version of the film. Unfortunately they decided to release something else. Now I have no reason not to wait for a Blu-ray or HD DVD release.

MikeDE

Second Unit
Resurrecting this thread, as Amazon has Grindhouse on blu for pre-order. Oct. 5th is release date, original theatrical double feature version with tons of extras.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Because it's not explicitly mentioned in the press release's list of extras, there's been some speculation that the Machete trailer is missing from the disc. A user on Amazon speculates that it's not listed simply because it's considered part of Planet Terror (after all, it was presented as part of the film itself on the individual PT release, while the other trailers were omitted completely). Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits is trying to find out whether the trailer will be included or not, but speculates that if it's not, it's probably due to a rights issue relating to the upcoming Machete movie.

I hope the guy on Amazon is right. It would be a shame for them to finally get around to releasing the theatrical version of Grindhouse, without the alterations made for the individual releases, only to have to make a different alteration instead.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Great news, thanks for the update. While the extended cuts are good, I like having the original theatrical versions of a movie, as well. I honestly didn't think I'd ever be able to retire the Japanese Grindhouse DVD, and am elated to have been wrong.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
This thread looks like the most relevant for a search for Grindhouse. I could not find another thread discussing this audio issue.

Can anyone confirm that this release will be only lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 as reported several places on the 'net and including other BD forums?

DVD Empire has a back cover scan but it does not show any information but their text specifications do mention "Dolby Digital 5.1" only.

Update: DVD Talk posted a review and it is indeed lossy-only. But the reviewer states that the good outweighs the bad.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/44706/grindhouse/

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
The only reason this is getting lossy sound, is because its supposed to represent a 70s grindhouse flick. If you want hi def sound, you got the extended versions.This even has extended versions of some of the fake trailers. Look at this picture from another forum, how can you not want this ?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I don't buy that reasoning. For one thing, the extended versions also have the beaten, worn look intended to invoke the "70s grindhouse" vibe. It didn't stop them from including lossless sound, so why is it an issue for this version?

Also, why would that reasoning apply to the audio any more than to the video? They don't seem to have had any issues releasing Grindhouse in 1080p. Why is it okay to give it the best possible visual presentation, but not the best audio presentation?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I only want the disc for the trailers and the special features (I have little desire to see Death Proof ruined by having a 1/4 of the movie cut out for this version) so I can live with the lossy audio.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The only reason this is getting lossy sound, is because its supposed to represent a 70s grindhouse flick.

Is that fact, Xenia? Or speculation on your part?

The idea of blu-ray is for the best possible home viewing experience. Uncompressed audio would only better serve to give us the "70s Grindhouse experience" the directors want us to have.

Even mono 1.0 audio should be uncompressed for home presentations on Blu-ray.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Mike, its just speculation on my part. I also think maybe because its the theatrical version, that the makers of the film put lossy sound on purpose. Also, look at those screenshots on dvd beaver,its not that much of a jump going from dvd to blu ray, 1080 p or not. Im mostly buying it to see it as it was in american theatres. Here in Greece, theatrically we got only the extensions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks