What's new

GRINDHOUSE DVDs (Death Proof & Planet Terror) any decent pics online from Comic-Con? (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I've seen this article with photos of the display cabinet among others:-

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/new...ease-dates.php

Surely there must be better iname online of the artwork by now, afterall the first is only 7 weeks away.

for anyone who hasn't seen the specs yet, here they are:-

Quentin Tarantino's serial-killer homage to the old school car chase film, Death Proof will hit shelves with over 30 minutes of additional, never-before-seen footage including the maddening "missing reel" (containing the excised lapdance sequence) as well as a black and white segment in the film's second act. The DVD will hit on September 18, 2007 for a price of $29.95. Features will include:

Finding Quentin's Gals

The Guys of Death Proof

Kurt Russell as Stuntman Mike

Introducing Zoe Bell

Quentin's Greatest Collaborator: Editor Sally Menke

Double Dare trailer

International Poster Gallery

Meanwhile, the Robert Rodriguez zombie entry, Planet Terror, will attack with more footage, deleted scenes, a full commentary and the infamous missing reel. That disc will drop on October 16, 2007 for a price of $29.95 and its features will include:

Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Robert Rodriguez

International trailer

Deleted Scenes

Cooking School

10-Minute Film School

The Stunts

The Make-up and Effects

The Badass Babes

The Renegade Guys

The Costumes

The Production Design

__________________________________________________ ___

Found these, anyone seen any better?

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
*Sniff Sniff*

I smell a couple of brothers sitting back and laughing at the film-buying public as they charge them double for what was intended as one film.

Grrrrr. Weinsteins!!!!!!

Still, I guess it's the only way I'll own it, so time to bend over and take it.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
I'd be curiuos to see how Planet Terror would play without the applied "print damage". I got the point, but debated with myself whether it went beyond being an effective sylistic choice and got in the way just a little bit. There was definitely a rhythm to it, as it almost punctuated the action and became "fused" to the sensibility, creating a weird kind of tension between seeing and not seeing, so I'm not suggesting the official cut ever be without it.

But...just out of curiosity, and to study the "contribution" of all that film trauma, I would like to see this one run clean a time or two.

BillBR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill. :)
Okay, as much as I enjoyed the Grindhouse in-theater experience, I can understand the idea behind the seperate releases. After all, it's incredibly easy to stage your own double feature in your own house.

However, the fact that the Weinstein Company isn't giving us fans the option of having the original theatrical release (complete with all the fake theater ads, trailers and the like) is a real insult. Not to mention the fact that the fake trailers, all of which I am dying to see again, are nowhere to be seen on these DVDs!

Are the Weinsteins planning on a future Ultra Special Edition double dip (as they have threatened to do with Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair)? Or is this all they're willing to release? What do Rodriguez and/or Tarantino have to say on the matter?

Blu

Screenwriter
I'm sure that with double dip fever running wild there will be an eventual single release with both movies, trailers, and the whole nine yards.

What really got me about the movie is how much money they spent on making Grindhouse look cheap which is the exact opposite of how RR usually works.

You can cut the irony with a knife.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
pretty easy choice for me:

Buy these previously viewed cheap

Buy future release that is more complete later if it comes out.

Just really glad I checked this one out in the theater, one of the best expriances I ever had in a cinema

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I still think that Tarantino may not want the short version of Death Proof available so there may never be a theatrical cut of Grindhouse. And even if there is, half the people will whine on and on about how they want the long version of the movies (eventhough they weren't shown that way theatrically) and those damn Weinsteins are screwing them again.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Why would anyone complain about not being able to get the long versions of the movies when they will be readily available everywhere?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Of course there will be a double dip. I'm rather shocked they're releasing the extended versions because they could have released the films as two in their theatrical form, then released them extended and then released them together with the fake trailers.

This film is one of the biggest box office disasters in the history of cinema so they have to make some money back somehow. I've read that the film, when showed together, is doing even worse overseas.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator

Back when the film was released, I read something that talked about this, and how they intended to include it on the DVD. Rodriguez said something along the lines of them possibly finding the missing reel from a "foreign language" print of the film, or something. This, to me, suggests that he's planning on crafting it from pre-existing footage where the dialogue clearly wouldn't match, and then dubbing the whole thing in Esperanto or something, with english subtitles.

On the other hand, the way Rodriguez works, I wouldn't put it past him to invite the actors over to his house one Saturday afternoon and just shoot it.

Also, as far as a theatrical release goes, a possible indication that this will happen is the fact that the audience reaction to the premiere was recorded as an alternate audio track for the DVD, ala SIN CITY.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Well, I guess there's no guarantees about anything really, but I don't see any reason why including the shorter original DEATH PROOF would be an issue for Tarantino. Tarantino was very proud and excited about the original GRINDHOUSE release, even admitting to going to check out audience reactions at a few L.A. theaters on release day. Why would he want to suppress the shorter cut of DP now? I'm sure he's very proud of his extended 'director's cut' version of DP as well, and that's fine, but that really has nothing to do with his original GRINDHOUSE concept of a somewhat butchered double-feature movie. I think Tarantino would prefer both versions to be available and I'm pretty sure the original cut of GRINDHOUSE will eventually show up on DVD just as it was seen in theaters.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit

Well it didn't cost all that much to make (as compared to normal films) and I think it made about half its money back, so I dont know if it'd qualify for one of the worst ever... certainly one of the worst marketing campaigns for sure.

As for Planet Vampire being shown without the wear and tear, I think it would work. Although I understand RR and QT's intentions, as I'm a film collector too, these types of films had mint prints during their original release. Since the films had a short run of maybe 20 to 100 prints, and they were shown all around the US, etc. they got heavily worn, and those 2 guys got the idea from the remaining junky prints that are available to collectors. What I dont really get is that RR claims that film sucks, is old and archaic, and video (HD) is so much better, so logically he should have shot his half on film too, to be a better "homage" to the films of that era.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have nothing to contribute except a better photo of probably the most intriguing "booth babe" at this year's Comic-Con.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Rodriguez also said that at some point down the road he'd like to release PLANET TERROR as a "fully restored" DVD, remastered from a "newly found 35mm print." I think that's the way to go for home video, but you still run into the problem of that missing reel. I can't believe he didn't have the foresight to just shoot it, even if he didn't want it in the original movie.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

True but I guess it depends on the real budget, which was said to be $52 million but apparently the brothers said it went closer to $90 million. IMDB says the film earned back just a little over $25 million.

As for the scratches, I think the studio/directors/actor realized that this whole idea was a disaster so perhaps they could sell "cleaned up" versions but I still hope they go for the super-DVD release of the original theatrical cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks