What's new

Greetings all! Newbie question about progressive scan... (1 Viewer)

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
My relevant equipment is as follows: Samsung TXM3096 (sp?) and a Cyberhome CH-500 DVD player (purchased because it does multi-region/proper anamorphic PAL conversion)
My question is this: I enebled progressive scan in the menus (as per manual/online help) and find that for some reason I (for now) prefer the 480i picture! I have a sneaking suspicion that I may have to set up the picture separately for each mode (480p/480i/1080i etc.), as I have read that the service menu (which I still haven't tampered with, for fear of conjuring up something horrible from the earth's core/screwing up/voiding my warranty) for the Sammy must be set up for each "setting"...is this the case (before you lambast my choice of TV, keep in mind that we are under a VERY limited budget, and we got the thing for 699$, not a bad deal IMHO)?
The progressive scan picture (to my untrained eyes-yes I have the Avia disc, & no, I don't know how to use it well-YET!)seems to me to be rather dark and lacking in sharp detail...can anyone give me any ideas on how I should proceed?
P.S. I find these forums absolutely wonderful/vital, and am looking forward to posing many more silly questions :)!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, you're still probably looking at a prog-scan picture, but the Samsung display is doing the deinterlacing. This is a case where the TV's deinterlacing chip set does a better job than the player's deinterlacer. It sometimes works out that way.

Welcome to HTF.

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
it's really odd actually....the picture as I was used to it (DVD player set to "auto") does have very nasty "jaggies" on text and such, but pscan appears to greatly reduce this (especially noticeable while the Cyberhome logo/screen is up when a disc is paused...the pscan picture is seemingly "smoother" but is also darker & seemingly lacking in crisp detail....I'm curious if the "auto" mode is indeed 480p...I'm thinking it is not, as the Sammy allows me to choose all viewing modes (wide, panorama, 4:3, etc.) while in "auto" mode, & from what I've heard, this is not possible on these Sammys when in progressive mode...
I can't help but feel I'm not getting the most out of my equipment when I'm running in non-progressive...perhaps I am misunderstanding how the equipment works/what progressive scan is (very possible :) hehe...I'm still learning a lot every day!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks