What's new

Greenish spots on Sanyo FP (1 Viewer)

BobR

Agent
I got a Sanyo Z2 a couple of months ago. It had a very faint blurry green spot about 6" in diameter in the lower left area of the screen. It would only show when the screen was black and didn't interfere with the picture so I was pretty much ignoring it. Last night two other similar spots showed up and they seem to be getting a little brighter. That is, the screen doesn't have to be quite as dark to see them. I tried wiping the lens with a lens cleaning cloth and it did nothing. I have no previous experience with front projection so I have no idea what could be causing this. Just wondering if anybody knows what this might be.

Thanks

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
There are little pieces of dust inside the projector, probably right on the surface of the green LCD panel. They can be blown out with clean compressed air or you can send it to a Sanyo service center to have it done.

BobR

Agent
Thanks!
That makes sense. I would much rather clean it myself, however, than have to send it somewhere. Do you know how to access the LCDs? Or maybe someplace on the web that might have some guidance as to how to do this? I've looked around some but haven't found anything yet.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
I don't like to put links from one commercial site (this one) to another. However, there's an extensive discussion including a tutorial on just that issue on another forum of which I'm a member. I'll PM you about it.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Bob,
Look on my site under the "Links" menu on my site. Read both the Z1 and Z2 articles, but follow the Z2 article for where the screws are to open the chassis. The Z1 article is just more detailed, but the procedure is the same. Also if the dust blobs are green then you only need to clean the green LCD panel. Shine a flashlight under the ribbons of each pannel and you'll see a colored dot. When you find the green one just clean that one.

BobR

Agent
Thanks for all the info. It's good to know it's only dust and fixable. Hope they do something about the filter soon.

Users who are viewing this thread