What's new

Greatest Soundtrack Ever: Lord of the Rings voted Number One. (2 Viewers)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the praise, guys, underserved though it is.
Um, Andrew, I feel bad now because I'm not sure you were in on my joke. I was just putting the most recent post I'd read at the top of my list. See, because your post was about people praising the most recent thing as the best ever...
So, yeah, I hate to say it but the praise was undeserved.
Your post was fine, but certainly not worthy of greatest status. ;)
I think Christou gets that for one of those weirdo posts. :D

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Terrell
You have about 3600 posts in less than a year where that statement fits perfectly so I wouldn't say anything.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The problem with John Williams is that all his emotion is in the "Bombastic main themes". The rest of his work generally lacks emotion.
Once again, an opinion stated as a fact. Have you listened to the score to Superman? It's is one of, if not the most, emotional experience with film music.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
You have about 3600 posts in less than a year where that statement fits perfectly so I wouldn't say anything.
And trying to insult me doesn't do a thing to prove anything you're saying. If that's the best comeback you've got, then you might as well quit talking. It's not about me. Prove what you're saying, spit out all these quotes from magazines and composers saying Williams is a hack. Otherwise, you're just talking out of your backside. Changing the subject and throwing insults doesn't cut it. I know you've run out of arguments when you start attacking my posts. You've made some pretty strong statements, back them up.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Terrell
It was you who insulted me because as normal you have nothing to say to back up your points other than "it is all just opinions" which makes posting here in a forum about films by film lovers totally pointless. I was simply defending myself against your insult of me. You obviously had nothing to say which why you insulted me and you have added nothing to this discussion.

I already pointed out one thread that gives you points were this has been stated. All who are asking for T.V. shows and magazines are obviously very young because this is old news. I don't keep records on exactly every magazine and
T.V. show were everything in the world is stated and I shouldn't have to. I have not seen anything on this recently other than the post I pointed out already but since some of you are so interested and insist on calling others liars that they do not know I will be sure to take down all the details for you to read or watch the next time I see something on this.

Michael Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
Randy,

Since you are so outspoken and appear to be an authority on what constitutes a "hack", maybe you could educate me beyond the fact that Williams borrows music for his themes. Hans Zimmer borrowed heavily from Holst when he wrote the score for Gladiator, does this mean he is a hack also? I think there has to be more to being a hack than just borrowing music.

By your rationale, Andy Warhol was a hack because he borrowed the Campbell's Soup can, just shifted the color scheme and called it his.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
What the hell is this crap! I leave my thread unattended for a few hours and its full of flaming flack (hey I like that 'full of flaming flack', nice), I'm bored already, now where was we, oh yeah John Williams and... aaargh no no, erm Korngold, thats it, great composer!:) :emoji_thumbsup:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
And for those who want more proof:
Ben Osbournes post above states his college professor who was a part-time conducter and composer felt that alot of Williams music was heavily borrowed from other works.
As someone else pointed out Beethoven borrowed in Symphony nine however that is acknowledged on the recording and makes it borrowing.
If you do this as Williams does and do not give credit to who actually wrote it then it is a rip-off and not borrowing.
Show me where John Williams gave credit to Dvorak, Stravinsky and Holst for the music he re-arranged for Star Wars and where does he give credit to Dvorak for the Jaws theme he took from Symphony #9. He doesn't he claims he wrote all this music and that is what makes him a hack.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Rob Gillespie & Terrell:
Please scroll *up* to my post (#73) for information on the forthcoming Dark Crystal score CD. :)
Pete

Michael Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
Randy,

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I will try to pay more attention to musical plagiarism in my assessment of who is a great composer. I guess it doesn't mean that I can't enjoy the music, nonetheless.

That being said, Williams certainly knows which pieces to borrow to fit the mood of a given scene in a movie. Is he a hack? I guess so. Does a movie benefit from his ability to write/borrow the score? Most definitely.

Since I am not familiar with all of the great classics of orchestral music, I am blissfully unaware of any borrowing that may be going on before my very ears. None of that gets in the way of my enjoyment of any movie score. The end result is, I love the music I am hearing during a movie, and if I am lucky, it sounds great all by itself and I continue to enjoy it at home or at work when I am not watching the movie!

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I would be curious to know what the playlist of this radio station consists of. I would not be surprised to see that the poll results and the playlist have a lot in common with each other.

It's a shame that no jazz scores made the list. Has anyone listened to MICKEY ONE by Stan Getz?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
My apologies Steve. I take some of the responsibility for taking your thread off course.
Randy, nobody insulted you. I didn't even mention your name or even reply to you. I just agreed with what someone said. And where have I ever claimed to be an expert. You're the one holding yourself out as one. I'm of the opinion that Williams is one of, if not the greatest film composer of all time.
By the way, your last post does absolutely nothing to prove your point. Quoting what Ben posted doesn't cut it. I'd bet every great film composer has borrowed from other music before. I have no beef with Ben. He didn't make any bold statements. He only relayed what those beliefs of his professor were. You still haven't proven anything other than it's your opinion that Willaims is a hack. You can have any opinion you want. But don't quote it as fact. I'll do the same.
But rather than wreck Steve's thread any further, I'll leave it at that.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Anyone who knows anything about creativity realizes that borrowing is the very ESSENCE of creation. Every single artist has influences and every single artist takes from them and adds their own twists and flavors. Does John Williams uses classical music as a thematic dictionary? Sure. But so does every other composer alive. The real point is the impact of Williams' scores with their respective films. I'm not sure I've ever experienced a more emotional or poignant moment in film than the swelling of the music during the binary sunset scene in Star Wars.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Michael
Why do I sense you and some others are taking what I am saying too personally. Are you releated to John Williams? It sounds like it.
I never said I was any kind of authority and I never told you what you could like and I never said his music did not work in the movies.

All I am saying that John Williams is very overated because he borrows heavily and does not give credit and his music is usually only a few good themes and alot of filler. I also said he music leaves me emotionally cold. Why can I not say this without people having a fit here. You admit you don't have any knowledge in this. I say he is overated because he is not original. Why does what I say pose any threat to someone who likes Williams? Is it because I am attacking a Star Wars fan boy alter?

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I'd put The Empire Strikes Back at the top. As for the rest of the list, where the hell is Maurice Jarre's score for Witness?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Terrell
You are only proving my early statement.
And I didn't insult you I just replied to your reply of someone else's reply.
Terrell please prove that they are only my opinions otherwise it is only your opinion that they are my opinions.

Tom
Please prove that my opinions are vastly overatted otherwise don't state it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks